HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:14 AM
Joined Jul 2007
2,086 Posts
That's where I'm starting at as well. If I so desire, I can always add upgrades later (if it survives long enough), as SU-4ever has suggested.........

Also, I had inquired earlier about the opening through the fuselage for the EDF motor wiring. Do all of you seal that opening, to avoid thrust loss?? Don't know how much difference it would make, but I'll definitely close mine off after re-installing the fans...
davemilw07 is offline Find More Posts by davemilw07
Last edited by davemilw07; Feb 25, 2013 at 11:22 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:46 AM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SU-4ever View Post
Pete man, I don't want to be fussy or annoying but is it really necessary that all comments be that long? I mean, I myself post long comments from time to time but when done with such frequency makes the thread difficult to read.

You are nevertheless free to do what you feel right but you may find you could synthesize a lot some of your comments so that the important ideas are easily identified and given importance. The reader can easily get lost and forget what was important in so long texts.
I would concure
Pete how about giving us short responses and then allow us to ask you questions if we feel the need. instead it seems you make a statement and then figure out all the possible questions it may cause and then answer all those questions oh man it gets soo tiring. you do not need to go on and on with all the intricacies of your thoughts.......just my opinion but your posts cause less interaction.......at least for me.
jcdfrd is offline Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:55 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2011
2,559 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemilw07 View Post
That's where I'm starting at as well. If I so desire, I can always add upgrades later (if it survives long enough), as SU-4ever has suggested.........

Also, I had inquired earlier about the opening through the fuselage for the EDF motor wiring. Do all of you seal that opening, to avoid thrust loss?? Don't know how much difference it would make, but I'll definitely close mine off after re-installing the fans...
I don't think it would make any difference at all, the wires are there and un-covered in the way of the thrust as it is, AND that hole may act as a vent for air flowing through the ESC cooling duct so I would not seal it
IntheTubeDeep is online now Find More Posts by IntheTubeDeep
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:58 PM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
I just want the pilot head turn mod! Thats #1 on my list!
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 25, 2013, 01:05 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2,559 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsworthy View Post
Gold its a 20 minute mod, ok, maybe longer depending on factors but it is easy, the key is once you have the what ever control piece on you want to make sure the servo is in correct angle and position so the gear rotates flush with the neck-cut,: test it with your servo tester then glue it(hot glue, epoxy) and make sure it sets in correct position- just watch my vid and go for it!!!
Old Feb 25, 2013, 01:12 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,835 Posts
Quote:
I have to admit I do like that mod
Old Feb 25, 2013, 01:21 PM
Joined Jul 2007
2,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntheTubeDeep View Post
I don't think it would make any difference at all, the wires are there and un-covered in the way of the thrust as it is, AND that hole may act as a vent for air flowing through the ESC cooling duct so I would not seal it

Actually, the air is pressurized at that point, as it's on the outlet side of the fan. There is NO WAY that the opening will draw air into itself, to even try and cool the ESC's!!!!!

Think about it...................................
Old Feb 25, 2013, 01:25 PM
Joined Jul 2007
2,086 Posts
Quote:
What about the LE flaps, air brake, pilot ejection, landing drag chute, smoke cartridges, etc.???

May as well go all the way then................................

P.S. Don't forget the chaff and flare dispensers, plus bomb drops. Your model will never get off of the ground, but who cares, as long as it looks COOOOLLLLLLL.........................
Last edited by davemilw07; Feb 25, 2013 at 01:49 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 01:28 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2,559 Posts
Quote:
Actually, the air at that point is pressurized, as it's on the outlet side of the fan. There is NO WAY that the opening will draw air into itself, to even try and cool the ESC's!!!!!

Think about it...................................
YES Think about it, and LOOK at it-- thats EXACTLY what happens!! the air is drawn in from ESC Vent duct, and flows towards tail and EXITS into exhaust duct following the wires, the thrust from fans acts as a vacuum here and will draw air from that ESC/wire duct out through the exhaust nozzles--it will suck the air out and force it out any opening, in this case the hole for wire to motors--its simple physics
Old Feb 25, 2013, 01:44 PM
Joined Jul 2007
2,086 Posts
Have you ever had a leak in your garden hose???

Why does the water squirt out of the leak point, instead of exiting from the hose nozzle??

If what you are saying is true, then the Space Shuttle Challenger would NEVER have exploded. Ask NASA about that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Feb 25, 2013, 01:52 PM
Flying Hazard
Spain
Joined May 2006
2,616 Posts
Editing done. Uploading soon.
SU-4ever is online now Find More Posts by SU-4ever
Old Feb 25, 2013, 01:54 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2,559 Posts
Quote:
Have you ever had a leak in your garden hose???

Why does the water squirt out of the leak point, instead of exiting from the hose nozzle??

If what you are saying is true, then the Space Shuttle Challenger would NEVER have exploded. Ask NASA about that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Challenger exploded because the O-ring sealing the solid rocket fuel leaked allowing burning fuel directed at the liquid fuel tank, causing the external fuel tank to explode, absolutely nothing to do with this simple flow dynamics issue!! Air is forced into the ESC vent thats why ITS THERE, the angle on vents directs air onto and over ESCs for cooling--that air HAS to go some where, and it does, it flows down over the wires and exits into the exhaust nozzles where the thrust from fans draws it from the opening, as well as being forced from the forward movement of Su35 through the air-- someone help me here!!
Old Feb 25, 2013, 02:01 PM
Joined Jul 2007
2,086 Posts
Quote:
Challenger exploded because the O-ring sealing the solid rocket fuel leaked allowing burning fuel directed at the liquid fuel tank, causing the external fuel tank to explode, absolutely nothing to do with this simple flow dynamics issue!! Air is forced into the ESC vent thats why ITS THERE, the angle on vents directs air onto and over ESCs for cooling--that air HAS to go some where, and it does, it flows down over the wires and exits into the exhaust nozzles where the thrust from fans draws it from the opening, as well as being forced from the forward movement of Su35 through the air-- someone help me here!!
The Challenger exploded due to the leak from the O-ring seal, which was in the exhaust stream of the rocket engine. PRESSURE is exerted equally in ALL directions, therefore the hot exhaust gases were expelled from the leak, and resulted in the eruption of the hydrogen fuel tank. And I'm sorry, but there's nobody out there who can help you!!!!

As you have said, it's all simple physics, my son........................
Old Feb 25, 2013, 02:10 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,835 Posts
Quote:
YES Think about it, and LOOK at it-- thats EXACTLY what happens!! the air is drawn in from ESC Vent duct, and flows towards tail and EXITS into exhaust duct following the wires, the thrust from fans acts as a vacuum here and will draw air from that ESC/wire duct out through the exhaust nozzles--it will suck the air out and force it out any opening, in this case the hole for wire to motors--its simple physics
I dont think so.........the exhaust side of the edf is the pressure side, if you have a hole in the thrust tube side of the edf then you have a pressure leak.....bad.... the vacuum side is the front side of the edf. If I understood this correctly this is definately a problem for cooling the esc's but remember I dont have one of these to look at so I can only go by what you have described.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 02:14 PM
Joined Jul 2007
2,086 Posts
That's why Max's idea of putting an opening IN FRONT OF the fan does work, because it's on the suction side.

It DOES NOT work on the exhaust side!!!!!!!!!!!!!!