HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:32 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2011
2,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
I heard jk, the guy that fly's outta Vegas that was having trouble landing his Su was getting out of the hobby. So if anyone else is looking for used set of extreme fans hit him up.
I bought 'em already!! Thats my set
IntheTubeDeep is online now Find More Posts by IntheTubeDeep
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:33 PM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntheTubeDeep View Post
I bought 'em already!! Thats my set
Darn your fast!
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:33 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
You must have watched something wrong as Both and Dynex both use strobes and tell you exactly where and how much weight to add.
The Dynex can be used in three modes/methods.

The issue is not re-inventing the wheel. The design/s are very simple.
Even the total cost of parts is cheap. (easily under $100)
It is the time cost that inflates a selling price. To be worth selling for your time invested.
Still looks complicated-- btw hows your airbrake mod going???
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:55 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
10,750 Posts
I had to tape the aribrake down for the flight, because the airbrake control arm slightly rubbed the top of the battery and I didn't like the idea about what might happen if it puffed a bit, or rubbed away the wrapping - or split it etc.
So I have to adjust that control arm length, but when I looked at it later on I was thinking to make it driven another way instead, so it has no interference with the battery possible at all. But the Su is back on the wall for now as it lost out in priority versus a few other things to be done on other aircraft first. I will leave it for 'week night missions' where nice daylight times of recent can be used for more useful things.

But I did fly my Me-262 this morning and everytime I do it makes all other jets seem lacking. It just does everything perfectly right. Mind you I picked it up to carry to the "runway" end, which I had not done in about two weeks, plus I usually put in the batteries (2x 4000mAH 5S 40C) in when it is at the runway end but this time already at the oval's fence line.... and boy did it remind me of how heavy it is! A 80m (??) walk seriously gives you a sore arm! And along the way you ponder "How can this even fly!!?" (3.6Kg, just a micron under the Su weight).
But it does.. and fast and very well.
Plus it only uses/needs a very 'cheap' 5S twin combo and batteries... about 1800W area.... and puts the Su to shame in the fact they are pretty well dead equal in speed and quality of flight - but the Su total cost is over DOUBLE the Me-262!
Of course it has much 'better' motors etc that cost a lot more (even batteries), but in end result they still both do the same!

But there are other reasons for liking/wanting each of the various aircraft I have..... predominantly that they ARE a different aircraft. So if you want one of 'those' you have to take it as the base it is designed as - bar some mods to improve them as much as you can.
And spectators like to see different aircraft! LOL. Fly the same one more than twice and you can see they are 'bored' of that anyway. I get somewhat bored after two or three flights of any particular one also! (thus the need to take 4, 5, 6 per time out)

Using the Su at the 'park' area was marginal - risky for take-off, but survived that (phew).... and even riskier for landing.... mainly landing gear damage on the grass, but which also survived. I am not enthused to take it there because if not the very next time, probably the flight after it will need maintenance. But I will give-in and take it, as usual, after I do a few things to it during the week - mainly the extra cheaters tests.
DOH.... I forgot THAT was one of the 'things to do'.... so I better get it out and do that now(!!).. as that IS a daylight thing to do! (noisy testing)
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: SBEC's connected in parallel
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:15 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
10,750 Posts
Hmmm, nope.... not today.....
I got it down.... looked at it (ducting area)...... put it back up.....

It is too involved to be planned and done in a rush. So it can be an evening/night job to investigate and plan, then to do the work on another night..... and test after work, or next weekend.

Today is painting day (airbrush two aircraft) and then some fan testing...... (setting up a few 70mm and 90mm various brands of each, to see what is best of those - mix and match some combos parts etc).
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: SBEC's connected in parallel
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:17 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsworthy View Post
Darn your fast!
You snooze...you lose Just kidding... Now I'll have the 2w30s to compare to the 3w 25s...should be interesting
Last edited by IntheTubeDeep; Feb 16, 2013 at 09:23 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:26 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsworthy View Post
Darn your fast!
I'm adding brackets to both fans, Jk had them siliconed to plane, I'm gonna match the stock mounting screw set up
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:51 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,602 Posts
Ya tube snatched those up fast
v8truckin is offline Find More Posts by v8truckin
Last edited by v8truckin; Feb 16, 2013 at 11:00 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:58 AM
Joined Jan 2011
2,655 Posts
Alum Brackets for ExtremeRC 70mm Alloy Housing

Ok here's what I have so far-- used L bar and cut with wire cutters, drilled, sanded and bent to match housing, now will lightly glue to fan housing drill through pilot hole and rivet with 3mm Alum rivet. Total weight 2.7g plus .3g with rivets = 3g
Last edited by IntheTubeDeep; Feb 17, 2013 at 02:38 AM.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:27 AM
Joined Jul 2007
2,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
You must have watched something wrong as Both and Dynex both use strobes and tell you exactly where and how much weight to add.
The Dynex can be used in three modes/methods.

The issue is not re-inventing the wheel. The design/s are very simple.
Even the total cost of parts is cheap. (easily under $100)
It is the time cost that inflates a selling price. To be worth selling for your time invested.
So what you're saying, is that $150 for the Vortex Balancer is a really good deal then?????

http://www.dynexhobby.com/

But the question is, does it work???
davemilw07 is offline Find More Posts by davemilw07
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:16 AM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,329 Posts
That's too bad! Mark just silcon glues the tabs on the 90 and above, but for the 70 and lower just recommends double sided tape.

Don't to start that conversation all over again but it was commented on at length with JK when he used velcro.

You're adding what didn't need to be there at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntheTubeDeep View Post
Ok here's what I have so far-- used L bar and cut with wire cutters, drilled, sanded and bent to match housing, now will lightly glue to fan housing drill through pilot hole and rivet with 3mm Alum rivet. Total weight 2.7g plus .3g with rivets = 3g
Maxthrottle is offline Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:19 AM
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
1,974 Posts
Max...Anyone.... Ever come across info on operating Chaff and Flare dispensers for RC models? I would like to investigate for my large Euro build.
acesimmer is offline Find More Posts by acesimmer
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:28 AM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesimmer View Post
max...anyone.... Ever come across info on operating chaff and flare dispensers for rc models? I would like to investigate for my large euro build.
o boy!
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:35 AM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,329 Posts
@Ace... Talk directly withthe Yak130 team on their Facebook page.
They can tell you how they did it.

You'd have to be at a private field to use it... And even then if I recall, it would need to be lic under special permit.
FAA or MT classes piro's as illegal off model aircraft.
Who knows about it farm field in the middle of Russia there may be no regs against it or they went thru proper channels.
Maxthrottle is offline Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:01 AM
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
1,974 Posts
Thanks Max.... I was thinking in regards to setting the desert on fire! Alternatives then. Some kind of bright sparkly thing that is dispensed in sequence? Chaff is easy.
acesimmer is offline Find More Posts by acesimmer