HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:42 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2011
3,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
Whens Tatianya gonna fly again?
She's gonna fly this weekend, not sure what fans/motors will be in but will fly with the hatcam-- might try my 10B set up
IntheTubeDeep is online now Find More Posts by IntheTubeDeep
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:49 PM
Joined Jan 2011
3,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SU-4ever View Post
Edit: Just seen Odysis coment, I agree with him. Pretty much repeated the same unknowingly

The point is not that russian runways are questionable but rather if ALL runways on which the airplane will have to operate over the years during its service life will be. And because it gives a lot of potential over strategy to be able to deploy fighter jets from potato fields. If your planes can only take off from nicely paved tarmac runways and those are bombed, guess how will you take off next time?
Agreed its a def tactical advantage--but have you seen Russian runways!!!!???? This is out of pure necessity!! That may be the practical ideal to operate in all environments, just as the AK47 is by far the most versatile weapon, doesn't matter if its in mud, under water etc..!! Russian runways are not even close to western standards-there might be a villager grazing a cow on the runway leaving cow pies everywhere!! as far as I know only Russian jets have that intake diversion apparatus, am I right???
Last edited by IntheTubeDeep; Feb 14, 2013 at 01:44 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:09 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,567 Posts
From many of the cross training east and west events, the rumour is Russian engine do not handle FOD as well as western counter parts.
In the past, even on western runways, they've had engine failures from FOD. The west saw this as a way to exploit grounding aircraft to which, Russia responded with ruggadizing their aircraft.
This was even a recent comment when India took their MKIs to top gun.

And your both saying the same thing but it can't apply to the scale model.
The SU doesn't have cheats up top like the Mig. They have louvers all around the forward intake. They shut the belly louver for taxi.

But because this model is choked at the mains and wing mount, the cheats need to be open to get it off the ground or you suffer less thrust and need more smooth runway. That is until you develop enough dynamic thrust.
So some screen mesh the intakes. But that too reduces flow needing more cheats or the ability for the screen to fold away in flight.
So still a head scratcher.
Maxthrottle is online now Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Freewing 90mm F-16C
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:18 PM
Flying Hazard
Spain
Joined May 2006
2,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntheTubeDeep View Post
Agreed its a def tactical advantage--but have you seen Russian runways!!!!???? This is out of pure necessity!!
Well, I didn't say russian runways are the best at any time xD
SU-4ever is offline Find More Posts by SU-4ever
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:20 PM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
So it looks like before flying the 35 you must first sweep and then power clean the rumway along with a towl dry
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:25 PM
Joined Jan 2011
3,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SU-4ever View Post
Well, I didn't say russian runways are the best at any time xD
haha-- still better than my Mars/dirt runway full of stones and pebbles!! I need a system still working on it, hope to have it completed this month...
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:28 PM
Joined Jan 2011
3,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxthrottle View Post
From many of the cross training east and west events, the rumour is Russian engine do not handle FOD as well as western counter parts.
In the past, even on western runways, they've had engine failures from FOD. The west saw this as a way to exploit grounding aircraft to which, Russia responded with ruggadizing their aircraft.
This was even a recent comment when India took their MKIs to top gun.

And your both saying the same thing but it can't apply to the scale model.
The SU doesn't have cheats up top like the Mig. They have louvers all around the forward intake. They shut the belly louver for taxi.

But because this model is choked at the mains and wing mount, the cheats need to be open to get it off the ground or you suffer less thrust and need more smooth runway. That is until you develop enough dynamic thrust.
So some screen mesh the intakes. But that too reduces flow needing more cheats or the ability for the screen to fold away in flight.
So still a head scratcher.
I know-- major problem to install intake on top, way to thick foam and you're gonna completely weaken the airframe I reckon, still working on it, maybe have it done this month with pics...My idea on a mesh covering the intake at take off would work, BUT any stone may hang up on mesh and when retracted would just release stone into fans as it retracted... unless it closed away from intake
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:35 PM
Joined Jul 2007
2,086 Posts
Hi All.

I just fired up Elena with my Lipo's for the the first time this afternoon, to check out operation of ESC's and fans. The ESC's just sat there and beeped at me over and over, like a scene from 'Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind'. Controls worked, but no EDF's (I started with throttle stick all the way down, and trim all the way off, but could not get fans to work. Nothing but beeping............)

Finally, after about the fourth power-up sequence, I got a short series of beeps, and the EDF's took off running FULL BLAST..........

Scared the Hell out of me!!!! Fortunately I had the fuselage restrained, so it didn't go anywhere. I disconnected the battery and went over my TX setup, and all channels were set for normal rotation.

Out of curiosity, I reversed the throttle channel,and tried again, now all is well.........

Did anything like this ever happen to any of you guys?????????????
davemilw07 is offline Find More Posts by davemilw07
Last edited by davemilw07; Feb 14, 2013 at 02:40 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:51 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,567 Posts
Some encountered the same. Its why the complain about FW not sending ESC programming instructions still prevails. It seems that the ESCs are not left in the proper mode when they leave the factory, or some inadvertently enter programming mode or throttle calibration mode setting things the wrong way.

They end up sorting out just as you did.
Maxthrottle is online now Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Freewing 90mm F-16C
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:54 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,782 Posts
Dave,

Try calibrating your throttle, throttle trim and esc
v8truckin is online now Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:10 PM
Joined Jul 2007
2,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
Dave,

Try calibrating your throttle, throttle trim and esc
Yeah, well, there are NO programming instruction for the ESC, as Max just mentioned.........
Last edited by davemilw07; Feb 14, 2013 at 03:29 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:25 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,782 Posts
I'm not saying to program your escs, im saying to set your throttle setpoint.

With lipo unplugged, turn on your radio and adjust your throttle trim to neutral, turn off radio and leave off.

With radio off plug in lipo, now with the radio off move your throttle to full throttle, turn on radio. You will hear a few consecutive beeps. As soon as the beeps stop, move throttle position down. You throttle set point and escs have been calibrated. If this doesn't work then you may have to fiddle with programming as Max said.
Last edited by v8truckin; Feb 14, 2013 at 03:33 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:34 PM
Joined Jul 2007
2,086 Posts
Well, now I'm really confused, because just by reversing my throttle channel, stick control and trim work just fine..............................

Only 3 or 4 clicks of up throttle trim gets the fans idling, and after that, watch out!!!!!
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:40 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,782 Posts
I'm not sure as I've never had to program a freewing esc. Just put your throttle back to normal position and try what I said to do. Just make sure you have a hold.of your plane or butt it up against a wall. If that doesn't work programming is needed most likely
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:49 PM
Joined Jul 2007
2,086 Posts
Maybe for the time being, I'll just leave my throttle channel reversed, as I don't have time to experiment with it...........................

My EDF's are going off to Don's RC for dynamic balancing, and I'll experiment with them after they get back (they really have some seriously nasty harmonics as they are right now..........................)