HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:24 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
10,414 Posts
I didn't think about it at the time, seeing I had quite a few things to think about, but I guess I was glad.

I will be far more 'glad' if my F-22 ever takes-off !!! The Su was far more of a 'nothing' case. At least I already knew the Su flies anyway, and a few hundred grams from 3.2Kg to 3.65Kg wasn't going to change much. But that darn F-22 has some problem I can't work out so far.
I am thinking it has a severely nose heavy issue, though it is balanced as per the low amounts of information around suggest to use. And it is too scarey a plane - even when they work - to risk experimenting with more rearwards CofG to find out! (Remembering how many people have it fly off 'whacko' even when done all correctly - so that is a scarey enough potential result already!)
That one definitely needs a LONG runway and a lot of room.... to safely find out what it will do! But it is all 'suped up' and ready to go!
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:55 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2011
2,550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
I have 'too many' planes to fly and test fly... pretty well incessantly really. There is always a mod, or few really, awaiting testing, on one plane or another. Pre-work flying I only do with known quantity planes, because if something goes amiss I can't afford the time to go hunting for it, or collecting pieces etc! LOL

But I did take the Su this morning, seeing I was hyped up over it last night and loaded it into the van - it takes up most of the 'upper deck' and only one other 800mm can go in with it there. Then two up to 1200mm can still go in the 'lower deck' and another 800mm or so with those (eg 900mm Corsair). I don't put/keep planes in that aren't going to be flown, or it wastes the space, though the Su was more to co-erce me to go to my factory area 'road runway' once again.

~~~~~~~~~

To test LEF's you would have to land (or simulate landing and fly off again) three times with none, then numerous times with them, to gauge things.
Same for flaperons, spoilerons, then mixes of them, and various control Pot/Switch methods.... yawn!
AND then I have to REMEMBER them all through the various flight processes! Boy must those real pilots have their plates full!!??? Though they have more time through the processes too.

So at least it flew, and LIVED!!
Congrats on safe flight!! Now.... all you need is a HK HD wingcam and a hat, you mod them together you make a 'hatcam' Share some video!!
IntheTubeDeep is online now Find More Posts by IntheTubeDeep
Last edited by IntheTubeDeep; Feb 13, 2013 at 02:39 AM.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:21 PM
Joined Nov 2006
10,414 Posts
I have the wingcam (two versions) but can never get them to work! Stupid 'buttons sequence' LOL. "Is it recording? Or not?". hehe
And a keychain camera too. (much the same non-descriptive buttons idea on that too).
Apart from testing them at home when I got them I was not too impressed so lost interest in them.
But not having them even on the "to-do list" isn't going to help ever get them working!
I think I stole the microSD (?) card from something to test them and don't have one specifically for them..... and it needs to be a "4" or "10" I think too.

170deg FOV or something.... not much use for use from a person's viewpoint! All you would get is a spec somewhere (or not even, if not aligned on a hat well) in the large FOV area.
Probably OK on a wing or fin though.

Maybe the video recorder sun-glasses (about $50), with a mobile phone 'zoom lens adaptor' on them, to get 90deg FOV or less, might be the go! At least they definitely point where you point your head.... you probably have to train yourself to continually look/face the plane and never move your head when scanning ahead.
I am constantly plotting WELL ahead of flight, to pick out the "stay just over trees" path in and out of the oval's main area. And have still even flown INTO tops of trees a few times. LOL. Though larger 'more important' planes I keep more safety leeway, but you still need to be very "scanning ahead vigilant"!
So no camera solution is going to cope with that very well (and as seen occurring in 80% of posted videos)

So all in all, it is not much use unless you have someone ELSE, with a half decent camera also, to do video of model aircraft! (and even 50% of those people can't even do it well/right either! hehe)
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:25 PM
Joined Nov 2006
10,414 Posts
I didn't get to check much about it after the flight.... just unplug/remove the battery - not overly hot at all. 2.5mins timer, and would have landed/stopped by 3.5mins approx. maximum. That suggests the discharge will be something like 4000mAH area.
Checked retracts... they were all totally fine, as far as I could see then. They were my main worry.... what stresses they could deal with at 3.65Kg on grass.
Then back into the van.... and still there now, in the work car park area......
I will check it over better this evening.....

I will probably take it out and use the full pre-work time tomorrow - if the weather stays nice again!
But that idea worries me as I can just see some 'problem' occurring and keeping me trapped at the park and then late for work! LOL. eg something time costly, like stuck in a tree.... or a crash...
It took me over one hour to get my Vampire out of a tree from approx 12m up right at its top! That sort of mission is quite complex and time costly! Let alone quite scarey even just passing 5m height when climbing!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:38 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2011
2,550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
I have the wingcam (two versions) but can never get them to work! Stupid 'buttons sequence' LOL. "Is it recording? Or not?". hehe
And a keychain camera too. (much the same non-descriptive buttons idea on that too).
Apart from testing them at home when I got them I was not too impressed so lost interest in them.
But not having them even on the "to-do list" isn't going to help ever get them working!
I think I stole the microSD (?) card from something to test them and don't have one specifically for them..... and it needs to be a "4" or "10" I think too.

170deg FOV or something.... not much use for use from a person's viewpoint! All you would get is a spec somewhere (or not even, if not aligned on a hat well) in the large FOV area.
Probably OK on a wing or fin though.

Maybe the video recorder sun-glasses (about $50), with a mobile phone 'zoom lens adaptor' on them, to get 90deg FOV or less, might be the go! At least they definitely point where you point your head.... you probably have to train yourself to continually look/face the plane and never move your head when scanning ahead.
I am constantly plotting WELL ahead of flight, to pick out the "stay just over trees" path in and out of the oval's main area. And have still even flown INTO tops of trees a few times. LOL. Though larger 'more important' planes I keep more safety leeway, but you still need to be very "scanning ahead vigilant"!
So no camera solution is going to cope with that very well (and as seen occurring in 80% of posted videos)

So all in all, it is not much use unless you have someone ELSE, with a half decent camera also, to do video of model aircraft! (and even 50% of those people can't even do it well/right either! hehe)
Ok, I had same issue when I first got the wing cam, problem solved-- watch this!

Hobby King HD Wing Cam - How to Use and Program Date Time Stamp (14 min 49 sec)
IntheTubeDeep is online now Find More Posts by IntheTubeDeep
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:53 AM
Joined Jul 2007
2,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxthrottle View Post
Every extra, just holds you back that much more. With any extras you need more thrust and more thrust is more amp demand....
That's why many switch out their stuff from stock. Especially when you want more speed or more 3D and you add any goodies.
That's when throwing in any big heavy motor solution, heavy ESC etc that burns a lot of amps but doesn't produce notable extra thrust can work against you.
So I look for highest thrust for lowest amps at the lowest weight. Generally for 4min of flying you need a heavier battery. If you don't want to fly 3D stock will do. But if you start looking for speed or pull out, you end up needing 3.2-3.5kg or more thrust.
So any decision is based on what type of flying you plan to do and what thrust you need to do it at the lowest amp draw.
Because I'm not a sound hound, went with the Wemo 2W25 that produces 2.1kg @ 65amps but when I roll that back to 1.5 kg to equal stock thrust it only burning amps equal to or less than stock. And the setup is only 20g heavier but have extra thrust when I want to go to after burn.
Hey Max,

Is there an echo in here???????
davemilw07 is offline Find More Posts by davemilw07
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:18 AM
Joined Jul 2007
2,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
Congrats Pete on the flight! And the longest post I've ever seen . Glad she was able to takeoff and TD safely.
WAYYYY too much verbiage.............................

(Maybe he needs more weight???????)
Last edited by davemilw07; Feb 13, 2013 at 03:59 AM.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:25 AM
United States, AR, Jacksonville
Joined Jul 2004
395 Posts
Congratulations Pete. Another painful read, but nevertheless, well done.
Whiskey Whiskey is offline Find More Posts by Whiskey Whiskey
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:28 AM
Joined Jul 2007
2,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Whiskey View Post
Congratulations Pete. Another painful read, but nevertheless, well done.
Did you ACTUALLY read it??????

I just passed it over................................
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:35 AM
United States, AR, Jacksonville
Joined Jul 2004
395 Posts
Yes, I actually read it (lol). I've been curiously awaiting his results. I've been anxious to see his leading edge slat results. But alas, that's worth another 40 posts of speculation and theory...
Whiskey Whiskey is offline Find More Posts by Whiskey Whiskey
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:37 AM
Joined Jul 2007
2,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskey whiskey View Post
yes, i actually read it (lol). I've been curiously awaiting his results. I've been anxious to see his leading edge slat results. But alas, that's worth another 40 posts of speculation and theory...
lol !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:52 AM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,247 Posts
Echo? That wasn't meant to clear the room... Golds last comments, batteries, adding extra's... It really depends on how the pilot expect to fly.
Consider; E.g. V8's is likely a little on the heavy... Air brake, tail chute, large batts, broken nose club repair, I think is was stock drive setup, camera's; He's very happy with the way it flies and it obviously looks great on video. He knew he never had 1:1 to start with but I've only seen mainly straight flying from his videos.
If he were trying to do a flight routine like one of SU4Ever's full 3D, he may have a harder time getting some of them.
SU4Ever's was closer to stock other than adding tailerons and being a broken nose club member I don't recall him adding much other than the nose bay corner panel and changing out the gear.

Mine, once I'm flying again, I'll just post video.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemilw07 View Post
Hey Max, Is there an echo in here???????
Maxthrottle is offline Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Maxthrottle; Feb 13, 2013 at 12:28 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:04 PM
Joined Jul 2007
2,086 Posts
No Max,

My comment about the echo was your response about keeping it light.

Exactly what I was trying to get across, but I got shot down by an 'expert'.........
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:07 PM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemilw07 View Post
No Max,

My comment about the echo was your response about keeping it light.

Exactly what I was trying to get across, but I got shot down by an 'expert'.........
That guy was a expert? thats good to know!!!
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:24 PM
Joined Jul 2007
2,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsworthy View Post
That guy was a expert? thats good to know!!!
YES!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL...................................

Regards, Dave