HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:53 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2011
2,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesimmer View Post
Are you doing CG with wheels up or down. I do mine with them up seeing that they all swing forwards during flight thus shifting the CG. If doing in down position then I get it spot on so in flight I go slightly nose heavy which is fine on this model.

It seems to me with all the mods you made up front that you should be more forward than rear CG? I've added all kinds of crap to mine and never bothered even checking the CG after the initial setup. Granted I did not do all the mods in one go so had chance to fly between upgrades. I have found myself shifting my Zippy 5000 40 c at about 830 grams to the rear bit by bit and it flys awesome.
I did CG with gear up(retracted), I'll try that again with gear down see the difference. Yeah you'd think I'd be nose heavy for sure(Pilot mod, airbrake, and batt bay mod) All mods forward of CG--but its still carrying more weight in rear
Curious what your current CG is at!
IntheTubeDeep is online now Find More Posts by IntheTubeDeep
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:46 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2,640 Posts
Quote:
Are you doing CG with wheels up or down. I do mine with them up seeing that they all swing forwards during flight thus shifting the CG. If doing in down position then I get it spot on so in flight I go slightly nose heavy which is fine on this model.

It seems to me with all the mods you made up front that you should be more forward than rear CG? I've added all kinds of crap to mine and never bothered even checking the CG after the initial setup. Granted I did not do all the mods in one go so had chance to fly between upgrades. I have found myself shifting my Zippy 5000 40 c at about 830 grams to the rear bit by bit and it flys awesome.
I re-did CG with gear down, I had to move batts towards rear about 10mm, so I'm as ready as I'll ever be, first good weather(Sunny day) I'll maiden at 155mm
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:10 PM
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
1,970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntheTubeDeep View Post
I re-did CG with gear down, I had to move batts towards rear about 10mm, so I'm as ready as I'll ever be, first good weather(Sunny day) I'll maiden at 155mm
Good to hear that. She flys really easy once up in the air. I use 40% expo on all surfaces and take off and land without TV's. I suggest that you find yourself a good runway for maiden and not the beach where you normally like to fly. This model can really suck up gravel and sand. Ask me how I know that... laugh.

Biggest issue with test flights are breaking ground on takeoff. She tends to have a long roll out until you get used to the elevator flip to get the nose up and away. On landing keep some power on and set up the glide slope so it is nice and flat with a predictable decent rate. Just like the real thing use power to control decent rate. To much elevator with low power can get you into a very high alpha at touch down so just breath and be gentle on the sticks. Once you feel comfy then you can do military pattern and short high decent landings no problem. She has a nice flat decent rate from altitude if needed but carry a little power.

This is one model that is close to flying a real jet in its characteristics. I have tried all kinds of maneuvers similar to when I flew full size jets and it tends to be similar in response to most attitudes and control inputs. This is why I like this model so much. Its the first model that behaves correctly that I have flown and I want a larger one around six feet or so with twin 90's for contest flying.

So relax and enjoy. Break a wing... or is that a leg?
acesimmer is offline Find More Posts by acesimmer
Last edited by acesimmer; Feb 05, 2013 at 10:17 PM.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:19 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,329 Posts
You guys are making fun of radar but you can actually add it to this model is you want.

There's a thread that has pitot velocity input to adjust gain control gyro's. It also has radar that triggers the gyro to input ground avoidance impact.
Slope gliders use them. So if you really want to, you could add the same to the SU.

But I'd fly the SU around first before you think abou adding that mod.
Maxthrottle is offline Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:28 PM
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
1,970 Posts
Jeeze Max... What next. Well, be nice to have smoke!. I'm trying to figure out how to create pressure vortex when loading the G on. Any chemist out their?
acesimmer is offline Find More Posts by acesimmer
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:29 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2,640 Posts
Quote:
Good to hear that. She flys really easy once up in the air. I use 40% expo on all surfaces and take off and land without TV's. I suggest that you find yourself a good runway for maiden and not the beach where you normally like to fly. This model can really suck up gravel and sand. Ask me how I know that... laugh.

Biggest issue with test flights are breaking ground on takeoff. She tends to have a long roll out until you get used to the elevator flip to get the nose up and away. On landing keep some power on and set up the glide slope so it is nice and flat with a predictable decent rate. Just like the real thing use power to control decent rate. To much elevator with low power can get you into a very high alpha at touch down so just breath and be gentle on the sticks. Once you feel comfy then you can do military pattern and short high decent landings no problem. She has a nice flat decent rate from altitude if needed but carry a little power.

This is one model that is close to flying a real jet in its characteristics. I have tried all kinds of maneuvers similar to when I flew full size jets and it tends to be similar in response to most attitudes and control inputs. This is why I like this model so much. Its the first model that behaves correctly that I have flown and I want a larger one around six feet or so with twin 90's for contest flying.

So relax and enjoy. Break a wing... or is that a leg?
Ha I've broken plenty of wings but thanks! I have the grey camo also I'm running on 6s, flew that plenty of times-- you're right - its great jet, my favorite EDF! I'm still a newbie really, first flight(CRASH!) was in 09, and I've been hooked ever since... And yes I WILL NOT MAIDEN ON BEACH-- of course my official dirt Mars runway destroyed my Su-34 fans twice, and an F22 so my goal is to somehow get to the golf course, or a big soccer field at UCSD when no ones there(Might be impossible).
All systems are go, so weather permitting I'll get her in the air this week!
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:29 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxthrottle View Post
You guys are making fun of radar but you can actually add it to this model is you want.

There's a thread that has pitot velocity input to adjust gain control gyro's. It also has radar that triggers the gyro to input ground avoidance impact.
Slope gliders use them. So if you really want to, you could add the same to the SU.

Max send a link on that if you can--I'd really like to see that
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:52 AM
Joined Jan 2013
3 Posts
hi su flyers, got my jet flying maiden last week... last night i was fine tuning my throws but forgot my stick which was on hi when i switch on the tx, lucky it didn't run so i immediately brought down the stick.... But After that mistake my motor now runs but has this hard braking when its supposed to just slowly stop... i have a bad feeling if i fly with this motor braking going on!!.... PLEASE, if somebody here knows how to do a reset on these stock ESC's,,, I would really appreciate the help!
mhelim is offline Find More Posts by mhelim
Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:28 AM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,329 Posts
Telemetry,High Speed Dual Axis Gryos and Onboard Radar
The telemetry is Hitec based but it will still work with any system. And because its on board, it doesn't need a lot of TX adjusting other than the extra channels for fine tuning the gain. But once gain is set, the pitot reads the air speed and adjusts the gain there after. So as stability control goes, 3D to speed, this is an excellent working setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntheTubeDeep View Post
Max send a link on that if you can--I'd really like to see that
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 03:35 AM
Houston. .we have a problem.
United Kingdom, England
Joined Aug 2008
860 Posts
[QUOTE=mhelim;24048475]hi su flyers, got my jet flying maiden last week... last night i was fine tuning my throws but forgot my stick which was on hi when i switch on the tx, lucky it didn't run so i immediately brought down the stick.... But After that mistake my motor now runs but has this hard braking when its supposed to just slowly stop... i have a bad feeling if i fly with this motor braking going on!!.... PLEASE, if somebody here knows how to do a reset on these stock ESC's,,, I would really appreciate the help![/QUO TE]

Stock ESC program information here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=4328
FOX ONE! is online now Find More Posts by FOX ONE!
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:39 AM
Flying Hazard
Spain
Joined May 2006
2,679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxthrottle View Post

SEND
ME
THE
LINK.

PS: Ah, yes... PLEASE?
SU-4ever is offline Find More Posts by SU-4ever
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:39 AM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,329 Posts
I did
First line, hot link in my last post #6684.

Let me see if I can find the video that demo's and describes it. But the thread had all the info.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:08 AM
Flying Hazard
Spain
Joined May 2006
2,679 Posts
ah yeah, my bad
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:13 AM
United States, FL, Hollywood
Joined Aug 2010
1,478 Posts
More SU-35 action (1 min 54 sec)
urrl is offline Find More Posts by urrl
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:26 AM
Flying Hazard
Spain
Joined May 2006
2,679 Posts
Nice video!
At last some fresh actionn and well shot!

Loved the near-hover and the smooth landing.