HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:56 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2011
3,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
Yikes! Pet Semetry Cat if ive ever seen one.
Don't Mess with Vaska-- he's a KILLER
IntheTubeDeep is offline Find More Posts by IntheTubeDeep
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:56 PM
Joined Jul 2007
2,086 Posts
New Toy

Hello All,

I just received my Desert Camo PnF from BH today, and now I know what all of the excitement is about! I actually bought this as a project that I could do with my grandson-----He's only 2 1/2, but you're never too young (or old) to learn!!!!

It arrived in perfect condition and appears to have all of the parts, but I'll do a complete inventory tomorrow. There are a couple of obvious things that I don't like to start with (thin push rods, brittle plastic control horns, soft thin foam, etc.) All stuff that has already been posted about. Think I'll paint the whole thing with 2 or 3 coats of WBPU to toughen the skin and add some road rash resistance.....

I've read about the first 1/3 of this thread from the beginning, and the info here is invaluable..........Much thanks to all of you who have contributed!!!

I plan to torture test ALL of the electronics on the bench before installing any of it into the airframe, so my first priority is to purchase LiPo batteries and charger. ValueHobby has Gforce 5000mah 30C, 40c, and 60C in stock, and readily available (I don't want to wait for backorders, plus they're only about 75 miles away from me). Any recommendations on the best batts (maybe one of each)???

FYI: The motors that came with my plane have black cans with gold end caps. I'll pull the fans and balance them before even trying to run them.

Thanks for any assistance, and I will finish reading this entire thread before going much further........

Regards, Dave
davemilw07 is offline Find More Posts by davemilw07
Last edited by davemilw07; Jan 30, 2013 at 09:03 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:08 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,846 Posts
Tube,

you should try these 5g servos, i swear by TowerPro.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=482
v8truckin is offline Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:10 PM
Joined Jan 2011
3,178 Posts
Quote:
Tube,

you should try these 5g servos, i swear by TowerPro.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=482
v8 I saw those on your vid, left comment! Thanks-- I'll put a few in my next HK shopping spree
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:15 PM
Joined Jan 2011
3,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemilw07 View Post
Hello All,

I just received my Desert Camo PnF from BH today, and now I know what all of the excitement is about! I actually bought this as a project that I could do with my grandson-----He's only 2 1/2, but you're never too young (or old) to learn!!!!

It arrived in perfect condition and appears to have all of the parts, but I'll do a complete inventory tomorrow. There are a couple of obvious things that I don't like to start with (thin push rods, brittle plastic control horns, soft thin foam, etc.) All stuff that has already been posted about. Think I'll paint the whole thing with 2 or 3 coats of WBPU to toughen the skin and add some road rash resistance.....

I've read about the first 1/3 of this thread from the beginning, and the info here is invaluable..........Much thanks to all of you who have contributed!!!

I plan to torture test ALL of the electronics on the bench before installing any of it into the airframe, so my first priority is to purchase LiPo batteries and charger. ValueHobby has Gforce 5000mah 30C, 40c, and 60C in stock, and readily available (I don't want to wait for backorders, plus they're only about 75 miles away from me). Any recommendations on the best batts (maybe one of each)???

FYI: The motors that came with my plane have black cans with gold end caps. I'll pull the fans and balance them before even trying to run them.

Thanks for any assistance, and I will finish reading this entire thread before going much further........

Regards, Dave
Welcome to the Su35 club! Looks like you have background in RC-- if you read back a few pages there are several posts on the batts, Gforce seem to be a fav of many here, and I will give 'em a shot on my next batt shopping spree. I just purchased a few from Chinahobbyline.com, the link is a few pages back also, and you're correct--the info here is invaluable--now resume reading the entire thread!

cheers ITTD
Last edited by IntheTubeDeep; Jan 30, 2013 at 10:29 PM. Reason: erro
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:28 PM
Joined Jan 2011
3,178 Posts
Quanum/9X Telemetry

Hey Peter awhile back you mentioned the telemetry on the 9x, and I asked if it was the Quanum, anyway I plan on using my Quanum on my Su35 maiden, (will try a test tomorrow) I was wondering if that system poses any potential interference threat to my JR9503 Tx?
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:02 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,764 Posts
The FRsky stuff does it 'internally' itself, but I guess it must be just different 2.4GHz channels.
I use dual FRsky TX and RXes on a few planes and they never bother each other. Not even a twitch ever.
So if you set it up give it a try close up.... then at a bit of range I guess (I never did, LOL).

I am not sure what the JR uses, but as long as it is Freq hopping it will likely be fine.
If my dual FRsky TXes can co-exist fine then I would expect any half decent 2.4GHz system(s) would too. (not the el cheapo non hopping stuff though!)
PeterVRC is online now Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:05 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemilw07 View Post
.......I'll paint the whole thing with 2 or 3 coats of WBPU to toughen the skin and add some road rash resistance.....

WBPU - good step. But hint... don't paint it on. Wipe the plane down with the WBPU like its cleaner. It ends up much thinner in layers, glosses less and still gets a nice solid coat once you put enough layers on.

The GForce batteries.... I don't see the GForce in the test lists, though I haven't checked every zipped file from the database. Not sure if they are a fav either since none really have reported any time on them. So they are just being flight checked by a number of the pilots.
So there are two thinkings, go with 40C and above, 60C was always thought to be better but this now is understood and not guaranteed. Generally the higher C still seem to last longer so go with the 60s if you can.

As for the motors. Ya Freewing updated the site. They should be these ones as standard now. BL2849 Brushless Motor
Maxthrottle is offline Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Freewing 90mm F-16C
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:08 PM
Joined Jul 2007
2,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntheTubeDeep View Post
Welcome to the Su35 club! Looks like you have background in RC-- if you read back a few pages there are several posts on the batts, Gforce seem to be a fav of many here, and I will give 'em a shot on my next batt shopping spree. I just purchased a few from Chinahobbyline.com, the link is a few pages back also, and you're correct--the info here is invaluable--now resume reading the entire thread!

cheers ITTD
Hey, thanks for your support!

I've been building and flying model airplanes since the mid-60's, when I was in grade school. So I've been around the block a couple of times................

Started with stick balsa and tissue paper rubber-band powered FF models, got into CL gas models, and in the later 60's, RC. Do you even know what a rubber-band powered escapement is? It was the actuator for the control surfaces, before servos even existed. I can even remember tube radios..............(WOW, how old is that??????????)

I'm having a lot of fun learning about the newest technology, and I appreciate all of the info that you guys have available!

Cheers, Dave
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:17 PM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntheTubeDeep View Post
Hey Peter awhile back you mentioned the telemetry on the 9x, and I asked if it was the Quanum, anyway I plan on using my Quanum on my Su35 maiden, (will try a test tomorrow) I was wondering if that system poses any potential interference threat to my JR9503 Tx?
Have you converted yours to DSMX? Its harder to tell what it will do once on site cause your noise floor will be different but DSM2 would be more vulnerable.
Andy, the Spek rep advises against having even telem mounted near the antenna'.

Do you have something simpler to test it on first before risk the SU to a hit?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:20 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,846 Posts
Dave,

welcome to the club!

I have a gforce elite 5000mah 40c and it performs great and has held up fine like day 1, which was back in june/july. I just ordered a pair of the gforce elite 60c 5000mah and should have a test done this wknd. I know valuehobby has gforce and gforce elite (nano) o would go for the gforce elite as they are lighter while having a higher C rating vs the gforce (regular).
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:27 PM
Joined Jul 2007
2,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxthrottle View Post
WBPU - good step. But hint... don't paint it on. Wipe the plane down with the WBPU like its cleaner. It ends up much thinner in layers, glosses less and still gets a nice solid coat once you put enough layers on.

The GForce batteries.... I don't see the GForce in the test lists, though I haven't checked every zipped file from the database. Not sure if they are a fav either since none really have reported any time on them. So they are just being flight checked by a number of the pilots.
So there are two thinkings, go with 40C and above, 60C was always thought to be better but this now is understood and not guaranteed. Generally the higher C still seem to last longer so go with the 60s if you can.

As for the motors. Ya Freewing updated the site. They should be these ones as standard now. BL2849 Brushless Motor
Thanks for the tip about the WBPU. I know that this airframe tends to be tail heavy, and I was a bit concerned about adding extra weight. So if I thin the WBPU and apply it with a cloth, it would add less weight to the tail. Sounds like an excellent suggestion, Thanks!!!
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:49 PM
Joined Jul 2007
2,086 Posts
Quote:
Dave,

welcome to the club!

I have a gforce elite 5000mah 40c and it performs great and has held up fine like day 1, which was back in june/july. I just ordered a pair of the gforce elite 60c 5000mah and should have a test done this wknd. I know valuehobby has gforce and gforce elite (nano) o would go for the gforce elite as they are lighter while having a higher C rating vs the gforce (regular).
I agree with you about the Elite series of batteries, and that's exactly what I had planned on ordering. But I really don't know anything about them, so if you could post a first-hand report, it would be greatly appreciated...............

Thanks, Dave
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:13 AM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,846 Posts
I believe there's a video I posted awhile back using the gforce elite 5000mah 40c

Max found the link]
Last edited by v8truckin; Jan 31, 2013 at 12:24 AM.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:21 AM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,679 Posts
Its in the middle of the SU-35 battery flight demos list.
The Gforce elite 5000mah 40c(200 amps) at 778g -741gSee V8 Vid performance.
RCG Plus Member