HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:31 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2011
3,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonH View Post
Hmmm...If you ran it straight up to WOT and it ran perfectly normal for 10 seconds that would lead me to believe it is heat related. Do you have any cooling at all for your esc's or are you just doing a static run with no airflow over them? I also wonder about connectors heating up and causing issues as well. Either way it seems heat related. Who is CNHL batts?
Yeah kinda dumb not to cool the ESCs, I will try again with my kid (the Trouble Maker holding the gas leaf blower!)

http://www.chinahobbyline.com/
IntheTubeDeep is online now Find More Posts by IntheTubeDeep
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:32 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,760 Posts
Gold ,

Do you have telemetry. Not only can you get an audible alert but also a visual of real time heat. Although not sure how many temp senora you can use.
v8truckin is online now Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:34 PM
Joined Jan 2011
3,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxthrottle View Post
It definitely means at this point he has no idea how much power was running through the watt meter. 65 amps isn't peak. Its the Watt meter running over spec and unable to properly display the through put. So if that's the 130 Watt meter, it may be interpreting 195 amps as 65. Who knows since you're out of spec.

No cooling while in the model can be an issue. Get the troublemaker to stand there with the leaf blower running across the battery and ESC's to remove that from the list.

The 28581 with a CS on 4S was fairly Hot so few went down that road. So not sure what play book your working from.
Yeah I have no idea, can you recommend a quality watt meter which will stand up to the stress of 'my tests'??? great idea, the TM will be in next test with the gas leaf blower--this should be good viewing
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:35 PM
Joined Jan 2011
3,080 Posts
[QUOTE=DamonH;23930327]
Quote:
No cooling while in the model can be an issue. Get the troublemaker to stand there with the leaf blower running across the battery and ESC's to remove that from the list.

LOL....that works.
Look for the TM and the leaf bower--coming to a rcgroups video soon!
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:36 PM
Joined Jan 2011
3,080 Posts
[QUOTE=v8truckin;23930376]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonH View Post

lmao! Trouble maker trouble maker trouble maker we want trouble maker.
One Trouble Maker with a gas leaf blower coming right up! As soon as it stops raining....
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:37 PM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
May as well go for 3 stations/hubs since they are 8g ea. so thats 24g for (2 motor, 2 ESCs, 1 BEC, 1 Battery). That's only useful if you've got audio read out or a out of parameter alert from any of them so that you don't end up like jcd's last video.
The next question is how will you look away from your 35 long enough to read the sensors on the display?
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:22 PM
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Oct 2011
3,507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntheTubeDeep View Post
Yeah kinda dumb not to cool the ESCs, I will try again with my kid (the Trouble Maker holding the gas leaf blower!)

http://www.chinahobbyline.com/
Do you have a lot of experience with them? What's the quality like?
DamonH is online now Find More Posts by DamonH
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:23 PM
Joined Jan 2011
3,080 Posts
Quote:
Ya sorry ITTD. I just watched the vid. I was writing my last when you posted it.
How is the Watt meter connected to the setup? Cause you can't see in the video.
If you're only getting 65amps off both or even one, the watt meter shouldn't burn out. If you are only using 65 amps across both, then something is also wrong cause we expect your amps on 4S is going to be through the roof.

So fill in the blanks.
Battery, mAh, C Rating, S
Connectors circuit that the Watt meter is connected to
Setup is in plane
which ESC and ESC settings, where is you BEC in all of this?
If you don't have a programming card to change the PWM or timing get one that does. From what I recall, those need to be at 8 not 12 and the timing low.
You really need to change those connectors to make sure they aren't in the middle of this. You could be looking at an accumulation of issues so they each need to be removed.

Test each side separately to also isolate if the issue is on one side or not.
One clarification: from ESC leads I have the supplied male 8mm (I think) gold bullet connectors, that goes to the female 8mm bullets which go to XT90 parallel connector that connects to batts
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:34 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,760 Posts
Tube,

Think the stock connectors are 6mm.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:35 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsworthy View Post
The next question is how will you look away from your 35 long enough to read the sensors on the display?
I don't recommend telem unless it has audio out, or an out of limit alarm.

First thing you need to do with an alarm is recover the model to a low power state and prep for an emergency land.
Then you glance at any issue if you can. Otherwise 4 or 40 sensors are useless because looking down can be a challenge.

That's why I've been looking over the FrSky and Jeti telem solns in this area. Jeti definitely has it right and the ER9X will likely match it in the appropriate flavour.
Maxthrottle is online now Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Freewing 90mm F-16C
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:42 PM
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
2,113 Posts
Max... I disagree sort of? I have the Aurora A9 with full in flight telemetry. I do not have the voice unit. I agree that for the most part the display is useless even though it shows everything realtime. By the time you would find whatever you want to look at your model is heading for the ground.

However! I do like the low voltage alarm and other audio alarms that I care to set. The most value is once on the ground I can scroll and look at my max temps x4, amps, watts, altitude and airspeed, RPM and other stuff if I one wanted too. It is nice to know the ESC temps along with the BEC and engine temps. Anyone of the above can be on the main display in large letters so is very useful. The voice is not that good with to many issues and does not skip unused functions. The next generation should be better.... I hope.
acesimmer is online now Find More Posts by acesimmer
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:57 PM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesimmer View Post
Max... I disagree sort of? I have the Aurora A9 with full in flight telemetry. I do not have the voice unit. I agree that for the most part the display is useless even though it shows everything realtime. By the time you would find whatever you want to look at your model is heading for the ground.

However! I do like the low voltage alarm and other audio alarms that I care to set. The most value is once on the ground I can scroll and look at my max temps x4, amps, watts, altitude and airspeed, RPM and other stuff if I one wanted too. It is nice to know the ESC temps along with the BEC and engine temps. Anyone of the above can be on the main display in large letters so is very useful. The voice is not that good with to many issues and does not skip unused functions. The next generation should be better.... I hope.
Then you agree with what I just said. For the guy who says how do I look down and read that info, as I said my recommendations is it may not be fore you.

Telem isn't really for on the ground because you can use all manor of on the ground devices to check before you fly. Its convenient but that's not why you add it.
What is available does go out to audio and works great because its an out of limit alarm not needing you to break LOS. Depending on what update was the issue of turning it off.

But just look at the video that Mike M posted recently of the slope glider with his vario/gyro where he rewrote the telem read out from the voice module to read out what you select to read out from the menu. Way way more useful and no danger of having to look down.

Jeti already has demo'd this where you can program any switch to give only what you program to read out for however long you preset it to read out.
And the ER9X already has several variations on it. It just makes sense.

In fact I just posted this being a short fall of the DX18 only having an I-Device to audio out at a min $220 price tag. You can do it for many telem radios for under $60 now. So since Gold is making that jump and asked what do I do with too much data, the soln is already available.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:39 PM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntheTubeDeep View Post
One clarification: from ESC leads I have the supplied male 8mm (I think) gold bullet connectors, that goes to the female 8mm bullets which go to XT90 parallel connector that connects to batts
Ok fair enough. Forgot you had these in parallel so each battery connector is only seeing half the amp load ~90 amps. But I thought in your picture you have two XT90s on one end and one XT90 on the other. So then its the combination of amps, 180 amp, across that single connector that goes back out to each ESC. So same difference. This is from memory. I'm looking back for the pictures you posted to see how you used the connectors.

But then you keep putting everything in video so no point in even searching. It would take forever to find it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:56 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,760 Posts
I basically use the audio alarms as a guide to what's going on, LV, heat, and individual cells. Once your familiar with where every read out is it isn't that bad, but I try not to look at it unless im pretty high (in the air ). Still once that alarm triggers gotta figure out what's triggering it on the display. I wouldn't suggest it unless you feel comfortable using it.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:03 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,760 Posts
Quote:
Ok fair enough. Forgot you had these in parallel so each battery connector is only seeing half the amp load ~90 amps. But I thought in your picture you have two XT90s on one end and one XT90 on the other. So then its the combination of amps, 180 amp, across that single connector that goes back out to each ESC. So same difference. This is from memory. I'm looking back for the pictures you posted to see how you used the connectors.

But then you keep putting everything in video so no point in even searching. It would take forever to find it.
I recall seeing the same and individual connectors for ea. battery Y'd into a single XT90 and is why i was concerned about his setup drawing 80a x 2 (which i also recall tube spec'd it at) @ 160a combined across a XT90 connector...?

Tube correct me if im wrong?

Max,

Your expertise is needed in the me262 thread got a question in there