Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:45 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntheTubeDeep View Post
Ok guys here is the PRIOR vid of test using WATTS UP meter- hope this gives some more insight into this
Ya sorry ITTD. I just watched the vid. I was writing my last when you posted it.
How is the Watt meter connected to the setup? Cause you can't see in the video.
If you're only getting 65amps off both or even one, the watt meter shouldn't burn out. If you are only using 65 amps across both, then something is also wrong cause we expect your amps on 4S is going to be through the roof.

So fill in the blanks.
Battery, mAh, C Rating, S
Connectors circuit that the Watt meter is connected to
Setup is in plane
which ESC and ESC settings, where is you BEC in all of this?
If you don't have a programming card to change the PWM or timing get one that does. From what I recall, those need to be at 8 not 12 and the timing low.
You really need to change those connectors to make sure they aren't in the middle of this. You could be looking at an accumulation of issues so they each need to be removed.

Test each side separately to also isolate if the issue is on one side or not.
Maxthrottle is offline Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:52 PM
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Oct 2011
3,046 Posts
I'm with Max. I find it hard to believe the combined amp draw of both motors is 60 amps (30 amps each). Either thats one motor and your pulling 120 amps total or there is some other problem preventing the motors from drawing what they should be. Have you done a WOT pretty much right away before components have a chance to heat up? If so, did it run up fine or same issue no matter how long you've been running it?
DamonH is online now Find More Posts by DamonH
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:53 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,847 Posts
Quote:
Don't be hatin' Actually it would do some to hear for that low drag frame Habu, all the things you incorporate to get it to achieve 200mph. Then they can see what they are not doing and the little things that count.
LOL!!! oh no I forgot the smiley faces hahaha no I wasnt hatin at all..... I thought it was funny

as far as the Habu32 goes they are pretty easy to get going, really nothing special about it other than the 12s TJ80 and good packs, yes the install is clean and lite and I emphasis lite. with 65c 12s 3300's and a 1100 LiFe rec pack the auw was 7lbs 15oz. the funny thing is the airframe is pretty much stock with the exception of removing the Battery tray to make room for the two 6s packs, which by the way their is plenty of room for so not too bad
jcdfrd is online now Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:21 PM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdfrd View Post
LOL!!! oh no I forgot the smiley faces hahaha no I wasnt hatin at all..... I thought it was funny

as far as the Habu32 goes they are pretty easy to get going, really nothing special about it other than the 12s TJ80 and good packs, yes the install is clean and lite and I emphasis lite. with 65c 12s 3300's and a 1100 LiFe rec pack the auw was 7lbs 15oz. the funny thing is the airframe is pretty much stock with the exception of removing the Battery tray to make room for the two 6s packs, which by the way their is plenty of room for so not too bad
You make it sound so simple Just the 12S and TJ80 is a big jump right there. What ESC's do you use?
The Habu is a very clean frame so even if you through the same power into an SU it'd never perform the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonH
Have you done a WOT pretty much right away before components have a chance to heat up? If so, did it run up fine or same issue no matter how long you've been running it?
Good point too. If he's not near full throttle, I even had with my current setup a stutter, at a certain point in the throttle curve. I had to mid range the timing to get it to stop. So if he's getting it right where the ESC isn't keeping up with the motors timing and feed back, you can get an uneven response from the setup. But he also needs a temp gun on the ESC, the motor wires, his solder joints etc to see if anyone of them aren't amplifying a series of issues.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:26 PM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
I am installing 4 of these sensors in my SU35. 1 around the battery, 2 on the ESCs, and 1 on a motor. http://www.alofthobbies.com/temperature-sensor.html
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:54 PM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,315 Posts
The station says it has only two temp sensors. How are you getting, four? Adding two sensor stations?
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsworthy View Post
I am installing 4 of these sensors in my SU35. 1 around the battery, 2 on the ESCs, and 1 on a motor. http://www.alofthobbies.com/temperature-sensor.html
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:54 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,847 Posts
Quote:
You make it sound so simple Just the 12S and TJ80 is a big jump right there. What ESC's do you use?
The Habu is a very clean frame so even if you through the same power into an SU it'd never perform the same.
TJ80 12s PnP comes with CC ICE2 120amp mounted in the tailcone, this does two things, it provides superior cooling to the esc and moves the weight of the esc from in front of the cg to behind the cg which helps correct for the added batt weight, looking back on our setup the "Black Magic" of our setup was that we were able to increase the power system substantially without increasing the flying weight. at just a hair under 8lbs we were lighter than most others 8s setups.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:00 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,847 Posts
the problem with temp sensors is its hard to find them after the crash

6S Habu 32 On Fire! (0 min 22 sec)

we werent named Team Habu Burners for nothin
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:17 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2011
2,628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxthrottle View Post
Ya sorry ITTD. I just watched the vid. I was writing my last when you posted it.
How is the Watt meter connected to the setup? Cause you can't see in the video.
If you're only getting 65amps off both or even one, the watt meter shouldn't burn out. If you are only using 65 amps across both, then something is also wrong cause we expect your amps on 4S is going to be through the roof.

So fill in the blanks.
Battery, mAh, C Rating, S
Connectors circuit that the Watt meter is connected to
Setup is in plane
which ESC and ESC settings, where is you BEC in all of this?
If you don't have a programming card to change the PWM or timing get one that does. From what I recall, those need to be at 8 not 12 and the timing low.
You really need to change those connectors to make sure they aren't in the middle of this. You could be looking at an accumulation of issues so they each need to be removed.

Test each side separately to also isolate if the issue is on one side or not.
Max- Batts, new 4s CNHL 50C 3700MAH 100C burst
Watts Up meter was connected with XT90s, between the 2 batts and the ESCs, same as all other connectors
I dont have a PC (yet) iMacs only so I can't program on the pc, stuck using the card which has no options on PWM, timing is set to Low 7-22
I have both ESCs soldered to XT90. I reckon I'll pull it all apart tonight and test one side at a time as suggested. I guess I was naive to think the 4s would give me longer flights in a high end motor like ARC 28-58-1s,( it worked on my MiG29!! running CS10B/3300kv outrunner, I followed the lead of a bunch of guys in Singapore who converted to 4s in parallel )
Btw I just hooked her up and ran a quick burst WOT while THR up I noticed a vibration in plane so I may have an unbalanced fan, I ran WOT for 10 seconds, it seemed to function normally- and there was a LOT of thrust
IntheTubeDeep is online now Find More Posts by IntheTubeDeep
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:23 PM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
The station says it has only two temp sensors. How are you getting, four? Adding two sensor stations?
Yes the stations dont realy weigh anything.
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:29 PM
Joined Oct 2011
3,046 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntheTubeDeep View Post
Max- Batts, new 4s CNHL 50C 3700MAH 100C burst
Watts Up meter was connected with XT90s, between the 2 batts and the ESCs, same as all other connectors
I dont have a PC (yet) iMacs only so I can't program on the pc, stuck using the card which has no options on PWM, timing is set to Low 7-22
I have both ESCs soldered to XT90. I reckon I'll pull it all apart tonight and test one side at a time as suggested. I guess I was naive to think the 4s would give me longer flights in a high end motor like ARC 28-58-1s,( it worked on my MiG29!! running CS10B/3300kv outrunner, I followed the lead of a bunch of guys in Singapore who converted to 4s in parallel )
Btw I just hooked her up and ran a quick burst WOT while THR up I noticed a vibration in plane so I may have an unbalanced fan, I ran WOT for 10 seconds, it seemed to function normally- and there was a LOT of thrust
Hmmm...If you ran it straight up to WOT and it ran perfectly normal for 10 seconds that would lead me to believe it is heat related. Do you have any cooling at all for your esc's or are you just doing a static run with no airflow over them? I also wonder about connectors heating up and causing issues as well. Either way it seems heat related. Who is CNHL batts?
Last edited by DamonH; Jan 25, 2013 at 04:40 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:58 PM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,315 Posts
It definitely means at this point he has no idea how much power was running through the watt meter. 65 amps isn't peak. Its the Watt meter running over spec and unable to properly display the through put. So if that's the 130 Watt meter, it may be interpreting 195 amps as 65. Who knows since you're out of spec.

No cooling while in the model can be an issue. Get the troublemaker to stand there with the leaf blower running across the battery and ESC's to remove that from the list.

The 28581 with a CS on 4S was fairly Hot so few went down that road. So not sure what play book your working from.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:59 PM
Joined Oct 2011
3,046 Posts
[QUOTE=Maxthrottle;23930313]No cooling while in the model can be an issue. Get the troublemaker to stand there with the leaf blower running across the battery and ESC's to remove that from the list.

LOL....that works.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:04 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,567 Posts
[QUOTE=DamonH;23930327]
Quote:
No cooling while in the model can be an issue. Get the troublemaker to stand there with the leaf blower running across the battery and ESC's to remove that from the list.

LOL....that works.
lmao! Trouble maker trouble maker trouble maker we want trouble maker.
v8truckin is online now Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:05 PM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsworthy View Post
Yes the stations dont realy weigh anything.
May as well go for 3 stations/hubs since they are 8g ea. so thats 24g for (2 motor, 2 ESCs, 1 BEC, 1 Battery). That's only useful if you've got audio read out or a out of parameter alert from any of them so that you don't end up like jcd's last video.
RCG Plus Member