SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:59 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2011
2,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
Tube,

That long run up with no cooling on that high power 4s setup probably isn't helping. Then I see your running the XT90 connectors which may contribute to the bottle neck of current trying to pass. I know your adamant about using this setup, but u may continue to see heat as an issue.
well now I'm NOT as adamant about this set up!! Will hold judgement til can figure out whats going wrong-- I dont think it was the XT90s-- according the WATTS UP meter, (Vid is uploading now may take an hour) highest amp draw I saw was 65A I think...
IntheTubeDeep is offline Find More Posts by IntheTubeDeep
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:59 AM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntheTubeDeep View Post
Ok where to start, (I'm uploading the prior vid with the WATTS UP meter reading may take an hour)

1) YES fans were pushing a lot of air, I was holding plane with one hand, it had a lot of thrust!
2) YES steady air flow until that pulsating drop in output
3) Yes 2 motors running seemed equal, and did the same when power dropped
4) YEs it felt like a lot of thrust to me- especially at high THR briefly

I'm gonna check the fans this morning, I drilled hole in the shaft adapter so I could tighten the bolt holding the fan so I doubt it was loose fan, check out the vid I post in the next hour, might give more insight into whats going on
Yes I look foward to your video!
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:06 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,848 Posts
follow the heat
jcdfrd is offline Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:12 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdfrd View Post
follow the heat
That means EVERY thing is under suspicion cuz everything seemed warm or HOT!!
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:38 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wigsw001 View Post
I use the XT90 in my SU-35 and don't have a problem. They are just 5mm bullets in a handy case. They are rated at 90amps +. My stock SU pulls 90amps at WOT. Connectors are cool and seem fine.
Goog to know this-- I still think the XT90s are adequate, maybe not the ideal connector, bit will do the job
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:39 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxthrottle View Post
ITTD I not familiar with the Volt reader that you were using. Do you have an actual Watt meter. The other numbers may give a clue. Too you could be reaching the heat cutout but you may need to change the timing to lower.

But why are you surprised. This is what we warned pushing 4S this hard. It gets more finicky and harder to get it to settle. Even if you fix the timing, high amp=heat. Standard in an electrical panel, 100 amps would be specs to 2 AWG. So you get heat with 10. Its commonly used this way but you kind a need a heat gun to tell us if hot is concerning or just a heat generator of waisted mAh.
Test with Watts Up meter will be up in 5 mins
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:39 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntheTubeDeep View Post
well now I'm NOT as adamant about this set up!! Will hold judgement til can figure out whats going wrong-- I dont think it was the XT90s-- according the WATTS UP meter, (Vid is uploading now may take an hour) highest amp draw I saw was 65A I think...
I say it may be the connectors just because I thought your setup was supposed to be drawing more than 65a, more like 75-80a (couldn't remember for sure).

I've had a similar sound happen in the air when I tried running a 1700kv motor on the CS12 luckily I was able to land safely, but never found out what the culprit was since I changed it to a 1600kv and it went away... Most likely it was heat. Also had a similar sound when my deans connector was failing, so that's why I mentioned both those as possible problems. Just throwing everything out there.
v8truckin is online now Find More Posts by v8truckin
Last edited by v8truckin; Jan 25, 2013 at 12:46 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:43 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2,928 Posts
Ok guys here is the PRIOR vid of test using WATTS UP meter- hope this gives some more insight into this

EDF/ARC/ESC Problem on WATTS UP meter 1st Test (2 min 3 sec)
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:51 PM
United States, AR, Jacksonville
Joined Jul 2004
480 Posts
60 Amps for the XT-90 is cake, now if that was only one motor and you're going to push 120 Amps total... That's a bad idea.

My XT-90s are in the high-warm area after I land, pushing 101 Amps. I still need to shoot my setup with a temp guage...
Whiskey Whiskey is online now Find More Posts by Whiskey Whiskey
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:54 PM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
That doesent sound so good
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:59 PM
Joined Jul 2004
480 Posts
Maybe there isn't anything wrong with the pulse sounds. You're fan setup doesn't counter rotate, so there isn't any noise cancellation from that. Just a wild guess.

On C-130s there are synchro phasers which sync the props together to lower the vibrations. But that goes against what I just said cause C-130 props don't counter rotate.

I'm staring to think you have a weak solder joint somewhere (aft of the wattmeter). The weak joint caused a serious enough voltage drop that both ESC LVCs kicked in at the same time. If this is the case, your power output may go up after the fix. If not the case, you did say that your wires and connectors on the ESC side got really hot.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:03 PM
Joined Jul 2004
480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Whiskey View Post
But that goes against what I just said cause C-130 props don't counter rotate.
Correction, when the synchro phasers aren't working it's extremely obvious because the vibrations change to large pulsing ones vs a steady vibration.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:18 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,459 Posts
Few more questions.... 65amps? Which watt meter, the 100 or the 130amp?
I seem to recall expecting as much as 80 amp draw per side with this setup. That could burn out either of those. They will run 10-20amps over but most report them failing after that.
If you add the Watt meter at the ESC, you see amps reaching the ESC but not amps lost from the battery to the ESC in heat loss.

And if you were running his in the model, there is no cooling over anything.

Plus since each motor can pull more than 65 amps you would pulling 130 amps across a 90 amp rated connector, that's insulated so you'd have no idea how much heat its suffering. I can't touch my oven thinking it must not be very hot inside; it made to not leak off heat.

I suspect to have burnt out your watt meter you are running above the watt meter rating which puts you in the 120 amp + category. In which case you need a ring amp meter or two watt meters to read each side.

Either way, everyone is giving some good and similar advise.
Pause for a moment and consider, you're not I assume making this a 1 minute burst speed setup kind of like the vid jcd posted. You I assume intend to fly mixed flying for about 4 minutes.

Is this setup able to run for that long without cooking itself?

Follow the heat,
Change the connectors,
4S will run hotter so setup considerations will need to compensate for it, Wire, connectors, higher C rating, bigger capacity, better cooling....
ESC setup; lower timing to not max out the motor but do some research on that. The ARC 28-58-1 if I recall has a comfort zone for ESC setup. Its been used enough throughout RCG to find that.

But as was said, hopefully this isn't a lot of head aches to get back to just around stock performance.
Maxthrottle is online now Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:35 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,848 Posts
well stated Max

hahaha dude what do you mean by this
Quote:
you're not I assume making this a 1 minute burst speed setup kind of like the vid jcd posted
more like 3mins of wot at 4kw+........no burst about it lol!!! it was all hammer down!!!!
jcdfrd is offline Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Last edited by jcdfrd; Jan 25, 2013 at 01:47 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:34 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdfrd View Post
well stated Max... hahaha dude what do you mean by this ... more like 3mins of wot at 4kw+........no burst about it lol!!! it was all hammer down!!!!
Oh no! I didn't offend your honour sir....
I haven't looked at your body of videos... I was going by memory from the last one you posted... the vid was 3.36min long and you didn't take off till 1 min in and you landed 1/2 a min before the end. So that run was more like a solid 2 min.

Your one of the top dogs in this area so you're certainly not running such at low volts, instead 12S and you have taken most all considerations in the setup.
Some of the newer guys get the surface info watching such a video thinking they can slap similar in theirs and find different results... but most average setups can only hope to push that hard for only about a minute, again considering where the past few day of conversation centered around, batteries, connectors, stock etc.

You can running yours longer I don't doubt. But is it with a low end HK ESC, a spaghetti of wires and connectors, with a low volt high amp setup???? No. So that's all I meant there.

Don't be hatin' Actually it would do some to hear for that low drag frame Habu, all the things you incorporate to get it to achieve 200mph. Then they can see what they are not doing and the little things that count.
Maxthrottle is online now Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member