SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 19, 2013, 08:05 PM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by av8ersteve View Post
Well guy's, here's mine. She's ready for maiden. The only problem is that wind forecast for tomorrow is 8-10 mph with gust to 20. How well does this bird cope with wind? I fly my 2 meter gliders and some of my gassers in this kind of wind with no problem but should I wait for maiden if these conditions are present? I can't wait to fly but also want to make a good go, no-go decision. How well does it handle wind?
LOOKS good! is the batery in the photo the flight battery?
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2013, 08:07 PM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by av8er steve View Post
Well guy's, here's mine. She's ready for maiden. The only problem is that wind forecast for tomorrow is 8-10 mph with gust to 20. How well does this bird cope with wind? I fly my 2 meter gliders and some of my gassers in this kind of wind with no problem but should I wait for maiden if these conditions are present? I can't wait to fly but also want to make a good go, no-go decision. How well does it handle wind?
How long did it take you from box to complete?
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 19, 2013, 08:13 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2011
2,945 Posts
Quote:
I think the 35 handles wind fine, and makes for an easy landing into it, not big gusting winds but normal winds should pose no worries...
IntheTubeDeep is online now Find More Posts by IntheTubeDeep
Old Jan 19, 2013, 08:18 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,267 Posts
Yeah, "unknowns" in the wind can make things notably harder.... mainly the landing. The rest is no real issue. So I guess it is up to your skill level - but it sounds like you probably fly enough.
That isn't 'strong wind' numbers, but still a nuisance....and can be different on the day anyway. So you need to decide that when you are there.
The flying part will be EASY... even the take-off, if you have adequate room (even better iif a hard runway), and a bit of headwind even helps that.

So then just trim it quickly and spend the main flight time doing slow landing circuits and approaches, flying past like you aborted a landing. You will probably only get two of those anyway, maybe three, then have to land for real. Do them under low power so you 'fly through' the landing, not dead stick. Typically something like 5% to 15% stick - depends on your setup, but the test passes will give clues on that.

It is not a hard plane to fly at all, but you just need to get used to any plane's exact glide/slow-down rate etc.
But nice if you feel at ease with the weather/wind too! So that part is up to how you feel about your other known plane's as a guide on the day.

I guess it is up to how much room you have, but err on the side of landing too fast!! Not too slow!
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2013, 08:33 PM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsworthy View Post
LOOKS good! is the batery in the photo the flight battery?
Yep, that's the bat I'm using. Time to complete wasn't long (a week maybe) I took my time and studied a lot but had other projects going to. Then the nozzle servo failed. Replaced that and also replaced the elevator servos with hitec digital's. Then had to wait for the servo programmer to get here so I could reverse one of the elevators (as Max commented) I didn't want to use an Y'ed reverses as that's just another point of failure. Good recommendation. Now she's ready to fly. Can't wait, but may be forced to due to winds. I've waited this long, what's another week
av8ersteve is offline Find More Posts by av8ersteve
Old Jan 19, 2013, 08:53 PM
Scott
Australia, SA, Two Wells
Joined Feb 2012
216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxthrottle View Post
I actually meant your neutral pitch angle. The manual says to set it 10-15mm from the top of the strake.
I wouldn't go with any of the battery position references. Battery is dead weight changing the CG position but if the elevator and thrust line are off, shifting the battery masks a problem rather than fixes it.
I have my 5500 all the way back and my 5800 just about 2.4cm from the back of the battery tray. My Elevator is 8mm and my ESCs are 70mm+ aft. But it flies a little more level than yours and my CG is 165mm.
Thats why I was looking at your glide. Actually as Pete said it seemed to drag its tail and SU4ever pointed out your alpha approach was great.
You that with delibrate stick inputs or does it settle into that attitude on its own as it slows.
Yeah that was my inputs on approach. Ill have to measure the elevator now it's trimmed and ill get back to you.

Quote:
I definately would wait till the wind calms down. I had the same issue wanted to maiden it but had 30-40km/hr winds. I'm glad I waited, trimming out a maiden flight in lots of wind is never good. But a light head wind is good for pulling it up on a landing approach.
wigsw001 is offline Find More Posts by wigsw001
Old Jan 20, 2013, 01:56 AM
Joined Jan 2011
2,945 Posts
Near Mid Air Collision over San Diego

Ok I know this is out of the realm of Su35 but check out this near mid air around 3:20pm today 1/19/13

Near Mid Air Collision over the skies in San Diego 1/19/13 ~15:20 (0 min 13 sec)
Old Jan 20, 2013, 02:32 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Dec 2009
1,329 Posts
Hey guys. Just chiming in to ask once more if anyone has a spare wingtip missile mount they'd be willing to part with. My SU35 has over 300 flights by now and is still going strong but it doesn't look as good since I lost one of the wingtips in flight!
tmsn is offline Find More Posts by tmsn
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:51 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,267 Posts
Huh? Wouldn't you just make one out of balsa?
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:37 AM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
Or a piece of foam. As PeterVRC said, that's a real easy piece to make yourself and will give you back your look. Take your elevator to Lowe's and have them color match you a pint of paint.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:53 AM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,476 Posts
Sorry, TMSN, I haven't toasted mine so thoroughly to have one as spare.
I understand your asking though. Why replicate it if its sitting in someones garbage pile doing nothing.

I actually didn't glue mine on. Since it has a hard shell, I inserted a sliver of ply near the wing tip as anchors to screw the outer shell of the tip through the foam into the embedded ply. If it hits it hard, the intent is it can break away without ripping the tip off.

Actually, how did it come off? Glue failed?
Maxthrottle is online now Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Maxthrottle; Jan 20, 2013 at 04:24 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 02:09 PM
dallas tx
Joined Jun 2003
2,901 Posts
In the tube deep, from your vantage point, that midair may have been 2-4000 apart in altitude seperation. From on the ground It may seem close.
capt soap is online now Find More Posts by capt soap
Old Jan 20, 2013, 02:22 PM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
Well, no maiden today. Weather man was right. AWOS is calling winds 220 at 14, gust 27. My 2 meter glider would fly backwards in this. Just gona have to wait.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:35 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2,945 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt soap View Post
In the tube deep, from your vantage point, that midair may have been 2-4000 apart in altitude seperation. From on the ground It may seem close.
Well only the pilots know for sure, but judging from the size of the contrails, and the evasive action of the plane on right my guess is they were on approximately the same altitude. If they were 3000ft difference plane on right I doubt would have taken that abrupt change of course, also I was watching the contrails dissipate, when they are different altitudes it becomes apparent quite easily, these appeared to be the same altitude for sure.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:10 PM
Flying Hazard
Spain
Joined May 2006
2,864 Posts
Actually not. It's ATC (Air traffic control) who knows the altitudes of both planes and is responsible of guiding them through air space. Since flights are 'stupidly' organised in virtual "air highways" and checkpoints, that could easily be a plane tuning on a check point at the same time the other was flying in the same air way at a different altitude but with a different route.
SU-4ever is offline Find More Posts by SU-4ever