SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:44 AM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
I will not be useing my camera for flying! I only wish to record my flight on my Imersion DVR. I will allways fly without useing goggles or monitor
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:07 PM
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Nov 2010
565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntheTubeDeep View Post
Cheaper up front, but YOU PAY the price later in a crashed bird!! I know how cool it is to get your plane delivered and fly out of the box-- but damn even PNF the servos are usually sub par, every plane I've every owned (going on 25 now) that was RTF or PNF had either defective servos, ESC, Fans, every one! I'm in the Kit group now, and thats half the fun, build your jet from the ground up--knowing you're putting quality in there!
True maybe 2-3 years ago, but lately they have been making great strides in quality.

SU35 comes with MG servos (elevator), i havent had to replace a single one. now the su34 also a freewing product i did have to replace the retract servos and put in MG. Ive had FMS f16, never had to replace any one of the servos or components.

Lately FMS and Freewing have been doing a great job about it. Even BlitzRCworks (LX) they ahve the A10 now with all MG digital servos and all metal EDF with upgraded 80amp ESC's. They have also done the same with the SU47 and soon Mig-29 and F22 i hope.

A while back i built a Mig-29, used dual 75amp esc (Castle Phoenix ice) with dual RClanders, ALL Metal gear servos. Total up the cost and i was well over $1000. I can buy 4 of the stock Mig-29's for the same price. Sure i've had 6 of them but still the entertainment value is what your paying for

BTW you can buy the A10 or SU47 and the cost is currently $319-$369 for the A10 and SU47@ $299 with upgraded gear.
Wargassm is offline Find More Posts by Wargassm
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:09 PM
Joined Nov 2010
565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
trash...dont trash em!?!? Save em for exactly that, spare parts.
+10000000 on that,

dude don't trash em, sure i got allot of spare parts but keep them. Do yourself a favor and just buy 1 or two of the PNP version of the su35.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:33 PM
Joined Nov 2010
565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxthrottle View Post
Gold: if you want the best then invest in better than stock
Resizing the servo mounts are a one time task so you get better performance value.
EDFs and ESC is the first thing I invest in to improve a model.

Actually back to servos you need them in mirrored pairs where applicable. So getting 1 side give you half a backup.

Re your question to Wargassm, he answered it in his comment. Gauge and heat. Dual BEC question will always remain because you can't detect them to be the primary cause. But knowing Wars experience, when he said the ESC failed, he'd know it to be ESC and not BEC.
Likely it cooked. The internal BECs seem to fail on these ESC if the ESC cooks, defeating the idea of the BEC. If BEC conflict occurs, it locks out power to the RX but the ESC is still intact.

So I'm in total agreement with Wargasm to reduce any/all currrent waisters, gauge, connectors, heat, excess length...

The external BECs for most is just by passing mystery BEC/ESC fails.
Trouble is some of the ESC fails has lead to lipo fails. So several just swap out the ESCs and add an external BEC.
I knew it was the ESC because i was able to control the surfaces, if i had maybe 20 feet of altitude i might have saved the plane. had 2/3 of battery left, both ESC's just stopped working. Later it was verified by BH technician.

Something i have noticed is the manufacturers are jumping on board with this.
My new A10 and SU47 with all upgraded gear (MG dig servos, metal edfs, 80 amp esc's) the AWG of the wire is 10. Even FMS has started doing this with their ESC's on the 1.7m F4U and P51 red tails with AWG of 12 even though the engine is only pulling 60 amps.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:39 PM
Joined Nov 2010
565 Posts
Quote:
Cheaper up front, but YOU PAY the price later in a crashed bird!! I know how cool it is to get your plane delivered and fly out of the box-- but damn even PNF the servos are usually sub par, every plane I've every owned (going on 25 now) that was RTF or PNF had either defective servos, ESC, Fans, every one! I'm in the Kit group now, and thats half the fun, build your jet from the ground up--knowing you're putting quality in there!
something else, see I'm not the best builder, i always have a ding or smashed part, its never ever show perfect when i do it all myself. But when i get it PNP then i can spray it down with polyurethane let it dry for 24 hours and BAM, i have an amazing looking plane. Far better looking than if i did it myself. For that reason i really don't do kits that often.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:54 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2011
3,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargassm View Post
True maybe 2-3 years ago, but lately they have been making great strides in quality.

SU35 comes with MG servos (elevator), i havent had to replace a single one. now the su34 also a freewing product i did have to replace the retract servos and put in MG. Ive had FMS f16, never had to replace any one of the servos or components.

Lately FMS and Freewing have been doing a great job about it. Even BlitzRCworks (LX) they ahve the A10 now with all MG digital servos and all metal EDF with upgraded 80amp ESC's. They have also done the same with the SU47 and soon Mig-29 and F22 i hope.

A while back i built a Mig-29, used dual 75amp esc (Castle Phoenix ice) with dual RClanders, ALL Metal gear servos. Total up the cost and i was well over $1000. I can buy 4 of the stock Mig-29's for the same price. Sure i've had 6 of them but still the entertainment value is what your paying for

BTW you can buy the A10 or SU47 and the cost is currently $319-$369 for the A10 and SU47@ $299 with upgraded gear.
War thats true-- but have a look at my grey camo Su35

HK Freewing Su-35 Quality Control Issues: Someone's NOT Doing their Job!! (5 min 55 sec)
IntheTubeDeep is online now Find More Posts by IntheTubeDeep
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:55 PM
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Oct 2011
3,527 Posts
I kind of prefer kits as well and would be willing to pay a little more to get decent components. My reasoning is that it is hard for me to find the time to do a lot of ground up building and when I do it takes forever . I have a four year old daughter and even though she thinks the planes are "beautiful" she doesn't care for it very much when daddy spends a whole lot of time with them Dont get me wrong, I do like building and would spend every wakeing moment doing it if I could. I guess I just feel that if manufacturers are going to make/distribute and advertise as PNP or RTF then they should be just that and not something you need to rip out everything and put good stuff in because they used the cheapest parts possible. There are many "cheap" reliable parts out there that could be used in these that would not jack the price up much more than it is now with the unreliable parts. Just my .02.
DamonH is online now Find More Posts by DamonH
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:05 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
If you want to see something funny regarding Freewing parts take a look at the Freewing sealed parts I just received! Does it look like something is missing here?
VID00443 (0 min 47 sec)
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:06 PM
Joined Nov 2010
565 Posts
Quote:
War thats true-- but have a look at my grey camo Su35

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U4jzeM8bZw
I dont buy from HK unless its something i don't care if its defective.

75% of the planes i get are from Banana Hobby. For me they are local dealer and i have no issues working with them on any RMA. Their staff is friendly towards me. Maybe that's because when i call I'm not cussing or chewing them out, I'm always nice and polite with them and work within their system. That means when something is defective i get video and pictures just like you did here. Also i give them more exact information about the product they carry.
An example was with my 2nd SU-35, the nose wheel strut was really sloppy. I showed via exact measuring instruments (digital calipers) and showed the front retract had a gap of .2mm in it vs rear retracts. I fixed it by grabbing on of the rear spares i had and used it for the front.

If i had your issues then BH would simply replace the entire plane. Hobby-lobby works the same way. Up to you but it does make a difference where you buy from.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:07 PM
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Oct 2011
3,527 Posts
Nice! How could something like that be missed...it's in a see through bag for pete sake...lol.
DamonH is online now Find More Posts by DamonH
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:10 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonH View Post
Nice! How could something like that be missed...it's in a see through bag for pete sake...lol.
I will let ya know how they respond and how much it will cost me!
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:37 PM
Joined Jan 2011
3,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargassm View Post
I dont buy from HK unless its something i don't care if its defective.

75% of the planes i get are from Banana Hobby. For me they are local dealer and i have no issues working with them on any RMA. Their staff is friendly towards me. Maybe that's because when i call I'm not cussing or chewing them out, I'm always nice and polite with them and work within their system. That means when something is defective i get video and pictures just like you did here. Also i give them more exact information about the product they carry.
An example was with my 2nd SU-35, the nose wheel strut was really sloppy. I showed via exact measuring instruments (digital calipers) and showed the front retract had a gap of .2mm in it vs rear retracts. I fixed it by grabbing on of the rear spares i had and used it for the front.

If i had your issues then BH would simply replace the entire plane. Hobby-lobby works the same way. Up to you but it does make a difference where you buy from.
I've had the BEST luck with BH, they have always stepped up and replaced every item that was defective on my planes, they even replaced my RTF MiG29 twin 70mm which crashed on 2nd flight-- they sent me a FREE PNF, no kidding!!
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:39 PM
Joined Jan 2011
3,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsworthy View Post
If you want to see something funny regarding Freewing parts take a look at the Freewing sealed parts I just received! Does it look like something is missing here? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM69q...ature=youtu.be
Gold just call them on the phone, might take a few minutes to get through, and explain, send them the vid if necessary, they should take care of you
Old Jan 18, 2013, 04:22 PM
Joined Jan 2011
3,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsworthy View Post
I will let ya know how they respond and how much it will cost me!
Shouldn't cost you a penny
Old Jan 18, 2013, 04:27 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
HEY! does anyone know what kind of lipo can I use with this device? I dont want to burn anything out! TURNIGY DUAL PULSE WIDTH 760/1520 4 PORT SERVO TESTER I have some 2 cell lipos but most servos are rated at 5-6 volts does this device have a voltage step down?