SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:12 PM
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2011
1,143 Posts
When I purchased my second freewing F-18 the ESC was intermittent on throttle response so I swapped it out for my old one that I had laying around and never had another problem. As of late I have only been buying the airframe only and installing my own equipment therefore eliminating faulty electronics out of the equation to a certain degree. I try to use nothing but hitec servos and castle esc's. This does take a large chunk out of my wallet but at least it gives me a little reassurance that if the jet goes in it was probably my fault lol. I had no idea dynam had such a great track record. I bought my brother the dynamic cirrus SR-22 trainer and it has always been solid. Maybe I need to make an impulse buy soon lol
firehawkzach is offline Find More Posts by firehawkzach
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:19 PM
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Nov 2010
565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsworthy View Post
You lost your 3rd su 35? 3 times! how come so many? . Was your BEC a separate one or did you add a separate one?. Mine although I will put it together will sit on display for many months until I developed the skills necessary as I do not wish to go through 3 SU35s!. I will however continue to upgrade all components as I wish for none but the best. By the time I am ready to fly I should have everything as good as it can be.
1 su35 the horn broke connecting it to the right elevator, broke clean off in flight after a nasty snap roll @ full speed.
#2. ESC blew in flight while in hover 10ft off deck.
#3. BEC failed in flight while in vertical position.

Then my friend had 2.
#1 ESC failed right side
#2 BEC failure.

no i didn't have external bec.

this plane is incredible, highly maneuverable. i was able to every move as int he MAKS 2011 video, including the vertical 360 x2.
Wargassm is offline Find More Posts by Wargassm
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:24 PM
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Nov 2010
565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
war,

Why not add your own electronics like some did, me including. Then mod for cooling like maxT did. That's the funnest part modding
I did the extra vent to help with cooling, odd thing is #3 died right after i did it.

I'm thinking about it, on the fence really. i did it with FMS F16, the fuse and all parts minus electronics is $67, then you have 6 HS 82MG dig servos, Phoenix ice 75 and RClander 72mm dps unit costing $332 for a total of $399 plus shipping.

cheaper to buy RTF.
Wargassm is offline Find More Posts by Wargassm
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:58 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2011
2,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargassm View Post
I did the extra vent to help with cooling, odd thing is #3 died right after i did it.

I'm thinking about it, on the fence really. i did it with FMS F16, the fuse and all parts minus electronics is $67, then you have 6 HS 82MG dig servos, Phoenix ice 75 and RClander 72mm dps unit costing $332 for a total of $399 plus shipping.

cheaper to buy RTF.
Cheaper up front, but YOU PAY the price later in a crashed bird!! I know how cool it is to get your plane delivered and fly out of the box-- but damn even PNF the servos are usually sub par, every plane I've every owned (going on 25 now) that was RTF or PNF had either defective servos, ESC, Fans, every one! I'm in the Kit group now, and thats half the fun, build your jet from the ground up--knowing you're putting quality in there!
IntheTubeDeep is online now Find More Posts by IntheTubeDeep
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:32 PM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntheTubeDeep View Post
Cheaper up front, but YOU PAY the price later in a crashed bird!! I know how cool it is to get your plane delivered and fly out of the box-- but damn even PNF the servos are usually sub par, every plane I've every owned (going on 25 now) that was RTF or PNF had either defective servos, ESC, Fans, every one! I'm in the Kit group now, and thats half the fun, build your jet from the ground up--knowing you're putting quality in there!
Thanks for the advice! I will trash the extra parts I got and start a new list of more quality componets. I still have $637.00 left that I can spend on parts for the SU35.
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:03 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntheTubeDeep View Post

+1 on that! im also a kit guy now. Enjoy building my planes over a few wks and spending quality time going over every part/detail and needed/wanted mods. I used to just slap em together and go fly and hopefully not crash buy another and do it again, kinda got old.
v8truckin is online now Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:05 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,661 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the advice! I will trash the extra parts I got and start a new list of more quality componets. I still have $637.00 left that I can spend on parts for the SU35.
trash...dont trash em!?!? Save em for exactly that, spare parts.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:30 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2,752 Posts
Quote:
+1 on that! im also a kit guy now. Enjoy building my planes over a few wks and spending quality time going over every part/detail and needed/wanted mods. I used to just slap em together and go fly and hopefully not crash buy another and do it again, kinda got old.
I'll 2nd v8-- don't trash 'em!! use them on the stock Su, then on your kit make a shopping list, every one in this thread will have their own idea on best components, take your time make a solid list, ESCs, FANS, motors etc.. then you can assemble your next bird with pride!
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:32 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2,752 Posts
Quote:
I'll 2nd v8-- don't trash 'em!! use them on the stock Su, then on your kit make a shopping list, every one in this thread will have their own idea on best components, take your time make a solid list, ESCs, FANS, motors etc.. then you can assemble your next bird with pride!
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:34 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,661 Posts
Tube you got an echo going on or a parrot on your shoulder. Lol!
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:46 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2,752 Posts
Quote:
Tube you got an echo going on or a parrot on your shoulder. Lol!
Naaa I've been breathing to much paint fumes-- had to touch up the Airbrake just opened the door--all good now
Old Jan 18, 2013, 06:00 AM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Does anyone know if its possible to remove the pilot and install a Fat Shark pan and tilt camera in the cockpit?. I see others use a wing cam but I would like to install mine in the protective cockpit.
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 18, 2013, 07:41 AM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,369 Posts
Depend on which CMOS or CCD you use and the size of the pan/tilt. The nose gear sits below the cockpit so not a lot of room.
Too, the canopy is too blury to see anything. I've tried a few cmos cams and you couldn't make out enough across a lit room.
Which is why most pop the canopy who FPC. Have not heard anyone setup this SU with any FPV at all. The Euro has a bigger cockpit and I've seen two examples there.

If your going to try, a modified battery hatch mount hasn't been tried, nor a belly mounted at the ESC intake vent screws fo a more CG centric mount. Otherwise its all the places you've seen.

If you have concerns flying in the first place, the cam does make handling a little more unstable suspect fo a number of crashes.
The guardian can dampen that I suspect but I wouldn't do it till you've flown it a bit.
Maxthrottle is offline Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:04 AM
Flying Hazard
Spain
Joined May 2006
2,758 Posts
FPVing a jet is a very difficult thing. I mean, If you actually intend to fly it through goggles. First of all you are going to need long range equipment both on the plane's radio system and on the video link because of the speed of this birds, they can get out of range very easily, and it's easy to get disoriented with the goggles. On another hand you're going to need an OSD with GPS so that you can check your speed and prevent stalls. It's very difficult to guess the speed from inside the cockpit otherwise. Then it's a whole new discpline and you are pretty much learning from zero. I for example am preparing an L-39 90mm EDF for FPV purposes, but firtst I'm learning to fly it and know its vices without fpv equipment. Then I'm also learning FPV flying with a different easier trainer plane. Then I will combine them. It can be very tricky to land such a speedster through goggles, but this I don't tell you to prevent you from going on but rather to help you avoid the worst mistakes. The L-39 from hobbytopgun is a nice platform for FPV since it has a lot of space and a HUGE cockpit. It's also cheaper so not so critical if you crash. Think the FPV equipement will considerably boast the aircraft price. It's difficult but it can be done, check this vid:

Star Sky (6 min 52 sec)

A nice long and asphalt runway is also very welcome!
In any case you better start with an easier plane and get familiar with the surrounding airspace so that you don't get disoriented wich happens easier than it seems. There are a few tricks though, like having always enough power to gain altitude and a high positioned camera downed-angled to hgave always the ground in sight.
SU-4ever is online now Find More Posts by SU-4ever
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:33 AM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,661 Posts
Hey Max, didn't you install a cam on the su35 where the UOMZ pod is? How come no videos with it yet?