HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:28 AM
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Oct 2011
3,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdfrd View Post
yes that would work but you have two issues that are easily fixed, first is the batt is too big and heavy and second its a 3s pack or 12vdc so the bec will be a 5amp bec if you were to go to a 2s 800mah lipo or LiFe you would cut the weight down considerably and running at 7.4vdc or less with the LiFe you will have the full capacity of the cc bec at 7amps, less weight and more electrical headroom

Damon
you are correct a 1450 is a bit too big/heavy, go to around 800-1100mah and 2s and at least 10c
Thanks for the info! I've never used a rx batt so I just want to make sure I'm on the right track.
DamonH is offline Find More Posts by DamonH
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:33 PM
Throttle Bender
Joined Jun 2008
1,257 Posts
BEC = Battery Elimination Circuitry. It's not a BEC anymore if you are using a separate batt to power it.
merlinfan is offline Find More Posts by merlinfan
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:14 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,847 Posts
correct, if your not using it to eliminate a batt then its just a voltage regulator. actually in this case using a separate batt its a UCEC (Universal Crash Elimination Circuit) lol!!! no really thats what it is
jcdfrd is offline Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:50 PM
Flying Hazard
Spain
Joined May 2006
2,676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysis View Post

I do like my 16 channel, sub $200 radio
What, where, when?

How come...?
SU-4ever is offline Find More Posts by SU-4ever
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:55 PM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
So, can I use someting like what is in this provided photo to hook up the Castle BEC?
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:11 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2011
2,637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
Oh yeah! I forgot the Y'ed elevator! DOH.

5) Elevators linked
= 7 channels

I split mine all to individual channels from the start (but I always do that anyway).

Goldsworthy, see if you can find someone to help mod the T9X to flash it to ER9X.
The stock T9X software is pretty well the WORST in the world (really!)... but the ER9X firmware (you reflash the TX to run that) is pretty well the BEST in the world! (Also really!)
So it is well worth doing! However you have to get it done!
Peter I just did the FrSky mod to my 9X, how do I flash your above mentioned best in class firmware to my 9X? I have NO idea how thats done!!
IntheTubeDeep is offline Find More Posts by IntheTubeDeep
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:24 PM
Joined Oct 2011
3,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsworthy View Post
So, can I use someting like what is in this provided photo to hook up the Castle BEC?
In theory...yes, if you are using deans connectors on your flight battery and esc's than this would work to hook up your bec. I don't know that I would stick with deans though...just my 2 cents.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:27 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Do they make a pre made wire and plug such as the one in the photo with the better conectors?
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:29 PM
Joined Oct 2011
3,051 Posts
Quote:
Do they make a pre made wire and plug such as the one in the photo with the better conectors?
Not that I have seen...or I would have some...lol. Maybe someone else knows of some...
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:43 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,572 Posts
Quote:
not that I know of either, but I did make one for my bec when I soldered my connector and forgot to solder my bec as well into the connector. So I took 1 male & 1 female EC4 (4s setup) with 2" of 12gauge wire between em and solder em with my bec, I could remove my bec if I wanted, but thays not why I did it. Now it hooks up in between my battery and esc. However I prefer to solder the bec directly into my connect, just had a brain fart.
v8truckin is offline Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:40 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
10,644 Posts
ITTD, you need to make a slight internal TX mod - soldering on about 6 wires (use a common flat cable strip of the 6 wires is easy) to the main PCB, so that you have a connector out of the TX to connect to a USBASP programmer ($5).

Programmer - can use its supplied lead to make the TX internal wiring.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...occessors.html

This is not my TX internal pic below (but is my 16ch modded TX) - I use the flat ribbon cable piece from the ATmega USB programmer and it goes to a DB9 connector at the top front of the TX. Another piece of that flat ribbon cable, which still then has the 10pin header block on it, has the other DB9 fitted to it so the TX can connect to the programmer.

I also attached a PDF someone made up for how to do it all....

PeterVRC is online now Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PeterVRC; Jan 15, 2013 at 03:47 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:00 PM
Life begins at transition
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SU-4ever View Post
What, where, when?

How come...?
It's the same setup as Pete's. 9X with two 8ch FrSky transmitters, and ER9X firmware. It sends 8ch per Tx, so 16 in total over two seperate radio links.
Mix that with Pete's left and right avionics bus setup, and you can have completely reduntant RF links. Did I mention telemetry, audio, haptic (vibration)...

It's a bit more DIY than the brand name radios, but it's also just as capable. When the 'big boys' come out with a cool feature, it only takes a week or so to reprogram the firmware to match it.
Odysis is offline Find More Posts by Odysis
Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:05 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
HEY! my wife came home in a good mood today! I figured why not give it a try!. I asked her if I could order a foam airplane from China. She said "its made of cheep foam?" I said yes dear its foam. She said ok go ahead and order one!. Looks like the SU35 will soon be out of hiding!
Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:10 PM
Joined Oct 2011
3,051 Posts
Quote:
HEY! my wife came home in a good mood today! I figured why not give it a try!. I asked her if I could order a foam airplane from China. She said "its made of cheep foam?" I said yes dear its foam. She said ok go ahead and order one!. Looks like the SU35 will soon be out of hiding!
LOL...cheap foam....Nice!
Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:11 PM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdfrd View Post
correct, if your not using it to eliminate a batt then its just a voltage regulator. actually in this case using a separate batt its a UCEC (Universal Crash Elimination Circuit) lol!!! no really thats what it is
Do I need a BEC? On my gas heli's, I have the rx battery (1100mah) plugged into an on-off switch. The other end of the switch is plugged into the receiver batt channel. Can I do this and unplug the red wire going into the throttle channel? I also want to run my servo's at least at 6v.
av8ersteve is offline Find More Posts by av8ersteve
Last edited by av8ersteve; Jan 15, 2013 at 05:23 PM.