HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:24 AM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Well, all I own is a 9X with a FrisKy conversion. This set up only offers me 8 channels on the RX. I will have to make due I guess. I do not need the TV in fact I wish I could just leave it shut off. All I wish to do is fly the 35 in a holding pattern around the field no fancy stuff for me.
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:38 AM
Life begins at transition
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined May 2007
3,507 Posts
The setup above will work a treat. It's how the stock machine is set up. All the plugs are even labeled for you!
Odysis is offline Find More Posts by Odysis
Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:47 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysis View Post
The setup above will work a treat. It's how the stock machine is set up. All the plugs are even labeled for you!
Labeled plugs! what will they think of next?. i have not looked at my 35 other than opening up the top of the box. Its good to know they tried to make it easier for you anyway.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:44 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
9,383 Posts
Oh yeah! I forgot the Y'ed elevator! DOH.

5) Elevators linked
= 7 channels

I split mine all to individual channels from the start (but I always do that anyway).

Goldsworthy, see if you can find someone to help mod the T9X to flash it to ER9X.
The stock T9X software is pretty well the WORST in the world (really!)... but the ER9X firmware (you reflash the TX to run that) is pretty well the BEST in the world! (Also really!)
So it is well worth doing! However you have to get it done!
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:49 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
Oh yeah! I forgot the Y'ed elevator! DOH.

5) Elevators linked
= 7 channels

I split mine all to individual channels from the start (but I always do that anyway).

Goldsworthy, see if you can find someone to help mod the T9X to flash it to ER9X.
The stock T9X software is pretty well the WORST in the world (really!)... but the ER9X firmware (you reflash the TX to run that) is pretty well the BEST in the world! (Also really!)
So it is well worth doing! However you have to get it done!
Although I know about the 9X upgrade and all the available components to do this upgrade, I am unable to do this myself. I looked into it for a week or so but it is beyond my abilities. I hope the 35 can be flown with what I have now, There is no one I can find in the Tucson Arizona area that I could even pay to get this work done. I fear I would only destroy the radio if I opened the case myself.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:09 AM
Life begins at transition
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined May 2007
3,507 Posts
I thought that for my first 9x, so I got the smartieparts board. I think he now has a solderless telemetry version too?

The second I went to town with, not concerned if I broke it! The mod wasn't too bad actually (soldering the programmer in). Even the telemetry was quite reasonable.
Odysis is offline Find More Posts by Odysis
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:30 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
One thing that struck me as strange. The box that my SU35 was in was generic in appearance It was a plain white box with the words Made in China in big black letters. There was no photo of the plane on the box at all. The outer shipping box was factory sealed with Flywing shipping tape. I guess Flywing must have provided these SU35s to Hobby King so there must have been a reason although I don't know it.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:39 AM
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
1,779 Posts
Not to drag this out but this vid provides a destruction test for deans and power poles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=QeTTw9i8WEc
acesimmer is offline Find More Posts by acesimmer
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:39 AM
Joined Nov 2006
9,383 Posts
There is also the Sky9X add-on board... that has TONS of stuff. Speech... SD card... a more powerful Atmega processor with more RAM too... FRsky telemetry support.... better hi-res display.... it costs $95 and you fit it yourself, and you use ER9X on it still.
It replaces the stock PCB, so it may not need any soldering at all . I was going to order one in December, but forgot in all the Xmas hoo-ha rush!
So then you can have a $300 SUPER 16ch RC setup (that includes 2x 8ch TX and RX). hehe
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:55 AM
Joined Nov 2006
9,383 Posts
That is another problem with Deans... the flat blade to solder onto. Very low solder surface area compared to a bullet, so its mechanical strength is way lower. Plus the bullet will/should be not too far off the appropriate wire gauge size used for it also, thus the 'gap' from wire to 'tube' is not large - but even it if it is a bit large, it will still hold extremely well.

I think that test was a bit of a moot point..... you did something pretty wrong if you went to 300Amps! Or even 200 Amps. Which of course a short could do, but it should never happen really. At worst an ESC fries, shorts, and goes up in smoke itself (FETs) first anyway. And the extremely rare case of all things ending up in a high current state (for seconds), SOMETHING has to give anyway.... so it is better the connector is the one that acts like a fuse anyway!
Even the solder melting off is better!
If nothing gives 'earlier on' then there will be FIRE!

Dunno.. I have never been close to a short or power-line issue in a model ever so far.
A bigger worry is Lipo's going up in smoke..... or an ESC frying and dying in that process anyway. So as long as the connectors are adequate for their assigned task, that is enough.
Better that they do melt, or desolder, if it goes a fair bit over their spec.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:56 AM
United States, AR, Jacksonville
Joined Jul 2004
385 Posts
I think someone mentioned that Freewing got a subcontractor to start making the Su-35s for them. If so that might make sense why your box was like that. And not to mention I think HK tries to cut corners with costs as much as they can.
Whiskey Whiskey is offline Find More Posts by Whiskey Whiskey
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:00 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Whiskey View Post
I think someone mentioned that Freewing got a subcontractor to start making the Su-35s for them. If so that might make sense why your box was like that. And not to mention I think HK tries to cut corners with costs as much as they can.
subcontractor huh? I hope this change did not afect the build quality
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:15 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
My video SU 35 question of the day!
VID00438 (1 min 18 sec)
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:55 AM
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Oct 2011
2,483 Posts
Since the question has been posed about rx packs, what is a good mah rating to use...e.g. would a 3s 800mah 20c work well? Seems like a larger pack like the 1450mah would add too much weight.
DamonH is online now Find More Posts by DamonH
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:20 AM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsworthy View Post
My video SU 35 question of the day! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbbhr...ature=youtu.be
yes that would work but you have two issues that are easily fixed, first is the batt is too big and heavy and second its a 3s pack or 12vdc so the bec will be a 5amp bec if you were to go to a 2s 800mah lipo or LiFe you would cut the weight down considerably and running at 7.4vdc or less with the LiFe you will have the full capacity of the cc bec at 7amps, less weight and more electrical headroom

Damon
you are correct a 1450 is a bit too big/heavy, go to around 800-1100mah and 2s and at least 10c
jcdfrd is offline Find More Posts by jcdfrd