HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 14, 2013, 03:57 PM
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Oct 2011
3,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdfrd View Post
best solution is to run a seperate 2s 850mah LiFe pack for the rec with or without the cc bec, I am not a fan of running bec's off the main edf power batts. also keep in mind the cc bec is a 7.5amp bec and only if connected to 2-4s packs if you hook it up to your 5s or 6s flight batts then it will be a 5amp bec
+1. Although I believe it is 7amps up to 3s (max 12v input).
DamonH is offline Find More Posts by DamonH
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2013, 03:59 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsworthy View Post
This would not be funny! My wife is a 20+ year Registered Nurse! she has reminded me many times she could make my demise look like natural causes!. A Man has to watch his back these days. There are only so many model plane you can get by the wife and they all have to cost $20.00 or less.
Well that would explain why she hasn't said anything Nice knowing you.... We'll pass it on to the authorities if your suddenly disappeared

Wow everyones here.... I tend to go with jcdfrd's method though I do put a BEC between the RX battery and the RX. Unless I know components I don't want to over volt them. So 2S Fe is 6.6V which under load sits closer to 6V which is why they are sometimes used straight.
Its old school but its more dependable than depending on BECs Batts and ESCs. The one thing though is the C rating on the FE still has to be enough to push 8-10amps and you change the batteries every few flights. Its less risky because there is less power and less chance of high power shorting the main or the BEC.

If you're adding a BEC, a simple JST connector will do. Off the ESC power lead solder a JST or which ever connector you choose, red to red, black to black. The connector is in case you want to switch to an RX battery instead of off the main pack.
Maxthrottle is online now Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Maxthrottle; Jan 14, 2013 at 04:18 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:00 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2011
2,636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
Work out a 'standard' that you will use yourself for future aircraft, and Amp/Current amounts for them.
I highly recommend the XT150 for all aircraft 80Amps and up. (they use 6mm bullets).

XT60 up to 60Amps area. (generally 70mm fans - one fan, not twins)
I use XHT4mm from about 50A to 65A area.... but XT90's came out later, and I have some of those but never tried them - it would almost need changing ALL those batteries/planes to that new type... maybe I will do it one day. But HXT4mm are good anyway.

This is why you make a GOOD pick and then stick to that 'standard' for yourself 'forever'!!
I've been soldering batts for a week! switched 'em all over to the XT90s, at least all my 4s and 6s, all 3s on XT60s, also all ESC leads to the female XT90s, think I used 2 rolls of solder
IntheTubeDeep is online now Find More Posts by IntheTubeDeep
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:03 PM
Joined Oct 2011
3,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntheTubeDeep View Post
I've been soldering batts for a week! switched 'em all over to the XT90s, at least all my 4s and 6s, all 3s on XT60s, also all ESC leads to the female XT90s, think I used 2 rolls of solder
I hate soldering For that reason I'm thinking of switching to power poles. Anyone have experience with them and what size would be good for most higher amp applications?
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:03 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonH View Post
+1. Although I believe it is 7amps up to 3s (max 12v input).
thanks Damon you are correct, I was going by memory lol!!! I guess I need to stop doing that haha!
jcdfrd is online now Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:06 PM
Joined Oct 2011
3,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdfrd View Post
thanks Damon you are correct, I was going by memory lol!!! I guess I need to stop doing that haha!
LOL...they say the memory is the first thing to go...or wait, maybe its something else...I cant remember...
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:07 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2,636 Posts
Quote:
I hate soldering For that reason I'm thinking of switching to power poles. Anyone have experience with them and what size would be good for most higher amp applications?
Haha-- yeah at least I was using lead free.... i think...! Btw what are power poles- havent heard of them
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:17 PM
Joined Oct 2011
3,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntheTubeDeep View Post
Haha-- yeah at least I was using lead free.... i think...! Btw what are power poles- havent heard of them
They are Anderson Power Poles. Here is a link. I've heard they are pretty good but I don't have any experience with them. They seem to be a little more pricy than XT's, EC's, etc. I believe they dont require soldering because you buy a crimper for them...thats what caught my eye.

http://www.powerwerx.com/anderson-powerpoles/
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:25 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2,636 Posts
Quote:
They are Anderson Power Poles. Here is a link. I've heard they are pretty good but I don't have any experience with them. They seem to be a little more pricy than XT's, EC's, etc. I believe they dont require soldering because you buy a crimper for them...thats what caught my eye.

http://www.powerwerx.com/anderson-powerpoles/
Interesting-- never seen 'em, anyone on rcgroups use these?
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:30 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
10,641 Posts
I don't think I would ever want to be using anything crimped at these current levels. Solder only!
They make specific RC model/power connectors for a reason.
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:39 PM
Joined Oct 2011
3,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
I don't think I would ever want to be using anything crimped at these current levels. Solder only!
They make specific RC model/power connectors for a reason.
Hmmm...I've read many recommendations on rcg for these connectors. Are people using them but soldering on the connector or are they using them crimped and they work great?
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:44 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2,636 Posts
Quote:
Hmmm...I've read many recommendations on rcg for these connectors. Are people using them but soldering on the connector or are they using them crimped and they work great?
No idea--never heard of anyone using for RC
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:54 PM
Life begins at transition
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,593 Posts
Have a read through the Power Systems forum, there's a thread somewhere in there about the resistances of different connectors.

In short, APP came out on top. They're an industrial, high-current connector. When they say 75A, it's 75A, on a hot summer day, all day long, without more than a few degrees temp rise. You could easily double that for RC use.

Industrial high-current stuff is welded or crimped, very rarely soldered, so don't be scared of it.

That said, I don't use them as they're expensive! I use hobby connectors because they (and I) am cheap
Odysis is offline Find More Posts by Odysis
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:55 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,327 Posts
Quote:
electric studies show crimping is aways better especially at higher currents Pete. Solder wins in the smaller circuit setups.

Why, solder only serves as a mechanical connection of wire to connector the same as crimping.

Only you can add issues applying heat, it can be reheated and fail and can add resistance rather maintain the connections quality.

Crimp physically locks a form of connector with full contact both on the sides of a wire and the ends. But you have to have the right crimper for the connector used and it needs to be done cleanly, even cut of the wire end, to optimize the connection.

Solder can get the connection more easily when done correctly and need no special tool. Its just susceptible to fail.

My concern with APP is they have a 75amp connector and then the next one up is much bigger and heavier. So many stick with the 75Amp figuring it doesn't fry but don't realize the ratings are not a fail rating but an efficiency rating. Push above the rating and the nicely insolated connector starts turning your battery amps to heat.
So in between you have sprung bullet connectors that covers the mid range, need solder, but at light that it makes sense to go over board with your connector rating. The only issue with any connector that meets rating is weight. Bullets are light enough that you could go to 8mm if you wanted with no harm. You just aren't gonna use them on your micro heli or fixed wing. And since this twin 70 or single 90 mm class model uses 90+ amps, it just makes sense to go over kill with something small and light enough.
Maxthrottle is online now Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Maxthrottle; Jan 14, 2013 at 05:03 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:55 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,572 Posts
I've heard of people using Anderson with good results, but I personally wouldn't trust a crimp over a solder. I know people use em because of their soldering skills, but If your soldering skills are not that good, get a Helping Hands station...itll come to you in time. However I think they both crimping and soldering both have those chances of failure.
v8truckin is online now Find More Posts by v8truckin