HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:28 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntheTubeDeep View Post
MaxT the white HK ELE servos are MG, they look cool, the other servos for the rest of the Su are Detrum/Dynam plastic, they look pretty good! Will keep you updated!
That's why I said open it up and look. There are some cheaper MG gear that are a mix of metal and nylon. I don't have the servo to check but any who do so fail at the weakest link.
Actually looking back you said in post #5537 that you wre using the HK15148 which are analogue, and have nylon gear not metal. The Digital HK15148B has the metal gear. They go for $5.
I still hope that these $2.60 HK15148 or the $5 B are at least as good as the stock servos and for the money perform like they are a set of $20-$45 85s.
Too I'd never by a PnP again. The servo makes up a good portion of that cost and for the usual 10-15 servos used can go for a song $26-$50. So I'm all for it may be more than you. They just have to work.
Maxthrottle is offline Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Maxthrottle; Jan 13, 2013 at 09:25 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:51 PM
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
2,135 Posts
V8 I finally figured on what you are doing. I'm thinking a screw drive would be the best and would not require a lock when deployed. It would be just like the real thing. Now all I have to do is find one at a decent price. I also need one for my scale T28 sliding canopy. I could machine one up but its a lot of work. I wonder if a small electric retract could be used? But then again it would be up or down and may not be the smartest thing to use. Lets have a contest on the best mechanism designed for air brakes.
acesimmer is offline Find More Posts by acesimmer
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:33 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,847 Posts
Ace,

Yes I originally fiddled with the LX A10/Mig canopy screw drive. However I couldn't get it to function like I wanted and get the proper amount of travel, so I ditched it.

I'm sure you could also use it for your T-28 sliding canopy.

Tube is also fiddling with also.
v8truckin is offline Find More Posts by v8truckin
Last edited by v8truckin; Jan 13, 2013 at 10:39 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:36 AM
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
2,135 Posts
Anyone ever use those proportional linear actuators? Can you purchase the mig screw drive separately
acesimmer is offline Find More Posts by acesimmer
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:43 AM
United States, AR, Jacksonville
Joined Jul 2004
494 Posts
This probably doesn't exist, but what about a micro sail winch servo? You could tie one end of a line to a lever hanging below the hinge. A spring could assist the closing sequence.

Other than that I was thinking the retracts themselves could be modified for a sliding actuator mechanism. They have two microswitches that stop their movement at their two extremes. But finding/fabricating new longer worm screws could prove extremely hard.
Whiskey Whiskey is offline Find More Posts by Whiskey Whiskey
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:50 AM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
O YEA! USPS tracking states my SU35 along with $500.00 worth of extras are in town for delevery TODAY!. Best of all I dont have to go to work untill 4pm today!
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:08 AM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsworthy View Post
O YEA! USPS tracking states my SU35 along with $500.00 worth of extras are in town for delevery TODAY!. Best of all I dont have to go to work untill 4pm today!
I think someone may be playing hookie today, least I would...cough cough cough (then blows nose).
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:09 AM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesimmer View Post
Anyone ever use those proportional linear actuators? Can you purchase the mig screw drive separately
not that I can't find, but ill keep looking.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:09 AM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,690 Posts
They are used on retracts that replace the air piston with a worm gear actuator. But they are expensive.
There are posts that have looked into using them for swing wing configs.

A little over board for a Air brake.

Your best option is to scale down the full scale pistion actuator to a length equal to the swing of your servo arm.
Or you could do floating pivot pull arm.
Maxthrottle is offline Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Freewing 90mm F-16C
Old Jan 14, 2013, 02:04 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
WOW! my package arrived!, well it didn't really arrive I called the Post office and requested they hold the box until I could pick it up myself (5 minutes later) I had it in my hand!. My first problem was how to get that BIG BOX to fit in my 08 Ford Focus. Even with both back seats pulled down and a empty trunk the SU35 would not fit!. I finally had to roll down both back windows and shove the box through the window openings to get it in he car. Even though I did get it home this way, it still hung outside the car windows 3 inches!. I was bound and determined to get this jet safely home even if it meant renting a U Haul truck!. My second goal was unpacking the shipping box , and taking a fast look inside. After taking a look I had to re pack the box and find a place in my small home to HIDE this box until a later date (When my wife will be in a good mood). To make a long story short I got everything hid away where she would never look! Here are a couple of videos of the action for your pleasure. I will of course delete these videos in only a couple of hours (to hide any evidence!)
VID00428 (1 min 25 sec)
VID00430 (0 min 33 sec)
Old Jan 14, 2013, 02:09 PM
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Nov 2012
355 Posts
It's pretty cool when your kit arrives . I felt like a little kid when mine was delivered lol.
Taman is offline Find More Posts by Taman
Old Jan 14, 2013, 02:37 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
deleated
Last edited by goldsworthy; Jan 14, 2013 at 03:53 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 02:43 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
This stuff will go in my SU35 I hope they work well-
VID00432 (0 min 46 sec)
Old Jan 14, 2013, 03:00 PM
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2011
1,143 Posts
Ah the old hide the box from the wife technique lol. I started to get my wife to buy kits for me for Christmas and birthday that way she can't say anything the problem came when I bought my 30% extra 260 no hiding that one since it was already built lol. Mine is really gonna freak when my turbine shows up this year hopefully she doesn't divorce me. Good luck and kudos to you for listening to others before impulse buying.
firehawkzach is offline Find More Posts by firehawkzach
Old Jan 14, 2013, 03:09 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Well, I totally lack the skills to fly the SU35 and I am in no hurry to do so. I figure after 5-6 months of flying a trainer and a couple hundred hours on a sim. I might be able to fly around the park in a circle. I have that pre wife approved FPV Raptor to mess with in the meantime. When I saw the videos of this jet I HAD TO HAVE IT!. I will continue to read here and learn all I can. Thanks everyone for the insight into the extra parts I got for this jet as well. I think the 35 will be OK up there in the crawl space at least until summer comes. I know the Arizona heat in that roof area is HOT!. I will have to remove the 35 from its hiding space before the temperature get to extreme!. Summer is of corse months away here and winter keeps the temp. up there in the 60s so it should be ok.