SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 01, 2013, 02:03 AM
Australia, NSW, Williamtown RAAF
Joined Aug 2008
2,430 Posts
That Sabre didn't have a rudder at the time (have fitted one since

When I was flying 1:1 - I preferred to cross-up during the hold-off - rudder to align nose with forward vector, feed in enough aileron to provide the sideslip offset for the crosswind drift and don't waffle there so long that you run out of everything and fall down.

Try to do the same with the models, but with far less consistency!
dro56595@bigpo is online now Find More Posts by dro56595@bigpo
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2013, 02:08 AM
Life begins at transition
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,593 Posts
Flare - kick, roll - idle - develop?

I try to do the same, but starting with roll. Don't know why I do it backwards. Never really got consitant results either!
Odysis is offline Find More Posts by Odysis
Old Jan 01, 2013, 02:23 AM
Joined Aug 2008
2,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysis View Post
Flare - kick, roll - idle - develop?

I try to do the same, but starting with roll. Don't know why I do it backwards. Never really got consitant results either!
I wouldn't say that I had a sequence, as such. Power was an 'as required' thing with the lighties - a single Cessna is floaty and power might be at idle before crossing the fence or even turning finals depending on the approach, wind etc. A twin C310 or Piper Navajo would want power to achieve the correct vector/speed/rate of descent.

The yaw/roll or roll/yaw was a kinda simultaneous, use the Force Luke thing - ie achieve the aim of producing a controlled sideslip that counters the xwind.

Seemed to work OK
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2013, 02:36 AM
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,593 Posts
And that's the important bit!

(although if you had the power at idle before crossing the fence with me, I'd have a raised eyebrow or three!) Even in the models I aim for abuot 10% thrust until 1' off the deck
Old Jan 01, 2013, 02:53 AM
Joined Aug 2008
2,430 Posts
Quote:
And that's the important bit!

(although if you had the power at idle before crossing the fence with me, I'd have a raised eyebrow or three!) Even in the models I aim for abuot 10% thrust until 1' off the deck
LOL. When I learned to fly at Redcliffe Aero Club circa 1978 in a 1950's vintage Cessna 150, my old instructor said every approach should be a glide approach - just for practice! The civvy world teaches attitude controls airspeed and power controls rate of descent (approach 'picture'). In reality the attitude, configuration and power setting all combine to produce a performance/vector/energy condition that you want to use to land the bloody thing smoothly so everyone knows you've earned those cool sunglasses
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2013, 03:00 AM
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,593 Posts
But if you're not using power, what's controlling RoD? The force???

I use the same for landing delta wing EDFs (the Su counts...) Elevator does a great job of controlling nose attitude, and therefore speed. Punch the throttle, and it doesn't speed up much, but boy does it climb!
Old Jan 01, 2013, 03:17 AM
Joined Aug 2008
2,430 Posts
Quote:
But if you're not using power, what's controlling RoD? The force???

I use the same for landing delta wing EDFs (the Su counts...) Elevator does a great job of controlling nose attitude, and therefore speed. Punch the throttle, and it doesn't speed up much, but boy does it climb!
Gravity and drag (both are forces ). Use of flaps to get in from the planned overshoot, use of power to fix undershoot. It's all about how much energy you've got up your sleeve - either kinetic or potential.

If you're coming in a little hot, do you need as much power?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2013, 03:22 AM
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,593 Posts
Depends on if the threshold speed is less or more than min drag speed.

In general, I've noticed most Vth's seem to be very close to Vdmin, so coming in slow will use more power too!

Problem with constantaly coming in 'hot' is overrunning or bursting tyres on touchdown...
Old Jan 01, 2013, 03:50 AM
Joined Aug 2008
2,430 Posts
Quote:
Problem with constantaly coming in 'hot' is overrunning or bursting tyres on touchdown...
Yep, agree completely. It was not my intention to advocate hot landings as a procedure, it was just there to illustrate that - in the event you've let it get a little fast - you might adjust something e.g. power to compensate. OODA loop stuff - and knowing how much to tweak which controls to arrest a trend then correct for the deviation. Practice makes perfect.

A lot of models are just like a little Cessna - my Durafly Vampire for example. I cut the throttle on that one on downwind and it only gets power if I've misjudged the glide approach key points. If I flew a powered approach, it would be a one mile final
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2013, 03:59 AM
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,593 Posts
ooda loop? Good god man!
Old Jan 01, 2013, 04:01 AM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,666 Posts
Jk,

Looking better you still need to keep that nose up on landings and a flare before TD. That nose gear/strut has been taking a beating and probably won't take much more of that. We've pretty much told ya what to do so not much else we can say, but it is progress. Keep at it.
v8truckin is online now Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Jan 01, 2013, 04:07 AM
Joined Aug 2008
2,430 Posts
Quote:
ooda loop? Good god man!
Boyd is my hero!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2013, 11:25 AM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
So, for us rich first buyers of the Sukhoi SU-35, how about a nice list of all upgrades in componets and power systems for this jet? I will be buying this in a week and would like to just order all the extra goodies at 1 time. Thanks
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 01, 2013, 01:44 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,666 Posts
gold,

80a -100a hobbywing platinum pro esc

Cc ext bec

Trailing link oleo struts
v8truckin is online now Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Jan 01, 2013, 02:10 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,382 Posts
Music to my ears Odysis and dro56595@bigpo. X setup I think also depends on the approach and final conditions. Me, my final is in a bowling alley of trees on either side. Typical farm properties with tree line on every fence line. The field is 100 m long but only 40 m wide so we have to come down from a high down leg.

All of this create various cross conditions depending on clear air wind direction, that everyone there has to change up on the fly. This forces a long final where we drop from a high down leg, flaps or alpha to slow and then crab a powered decent holding from 30m down to 10m at the fence because the air above the tree tops are very different than below and the field fence line is basically a break in the tree line from a crop of soy. The funnel of air following the perpendicular tree line tends to gust and swirl wind conditions as you cross the fence.

So for all members at our field who tend to glide their approach become subject to split second changes that they can't tell are coming and thus more often crash because their energy state changes quicker than they can react to. Some cross the flight line far out, almost kiss the tree line to our backs and land kitty corner across the field. But Rudder Rudder Rudder, is regularly yelled out at our field. But powered even if the conditions change, we're less likely to stall with a gust needing less of a pitch correction than with a glide.
Maxthrottle is online now Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member