Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:27 PM
Cut the yellow wire
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
8,997 Posts
Even though I've owned one for a couple of months now I haven't picked it up yet from my friend which leads to my question. I fly from grass. It's reasonably smooth in some places this time of year but is long most of the year, too long for ROG EDF. Now the question: If I put a layer or two of carbon cloth on the inside and outside of the ducts will that strengthen them sufficiently to land on without damage to them?
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:38 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,528 Posts
Jk,

Or if you have the mixes to add flaperons like Max has mentioned many times, you will likely benefit from them. Then once you've got your approache down with flapperons you can opt to us em or not.
v8truckin is online now Find More Posts by v8truckin
Last edited by v8truckin; Dec 30, 2012 at 02:46 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:26 PM
John
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Mar 2011
436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonH View Post
Definitely agree with v8. The first thing I thought when watching your landings is that you are diving to the runway. I think it would help a lot if you stretched out your approach some and came in much more shallow. It seems that you are diving into the runway and then coming in fast and hitting the deck very hard. Stretching it out some will allow you to come in more shallow and give you more time to bleed off some speed so you're not coming in so hot. Will give you more time to line up as well, looks like you are always fighting to stay lined up and most times land near the edge and hit the ruff stuff. Cant really tell in video but is some of that fighting to stay lined up just cross wind? Just seems like you are always bouncing around and on the ails all the time back and forth and then end up at a point where you just plop it down. Do you have any expo dialed in?
yeah I do agree with you guys!!! I hadn't flown in over 2 months and then all of a sudden I tell myself that I am going to build my desert camo su-35 and fly it... I kinda dove into it... without properly practicing with my other planes first. so I am working on it.... you can see from the videos that they're getting better. But i am definitely going to start my approach at a much shallower altitude and then bleed off as much of that extra speed as I can. thanks for the advice though.. much appreciated. oh yeah I do have expos dialed in.
jk671 is offline Find More Posts by jk671
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:29 PM
John
Joined Mar 2011
436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
Jk,

Or if you have the mixes to add flaperons like Max has mentioned many times, you will likely benefit from them. Then once you've got your approache down with flapperons you can opt to us em or not.
i am pretty sure that all the slots on my eight channel receiver are used up, so i think that's out of the question for the moment...

1.aileron
2.elevator
3.throttle
4.rudder/steering servo
5.landing gear
6.thrust vector 1(mixed as slave with ailerons and elevators)
7.thrust vector 2(same mix as with channel 6)
8.thrust vector 3(mixed as slave with rudder)
9.slot for bind plug
10.slot for battery/external BEC

all slots besides the bind slot are filled in.
Last edited by jk671; Dec 30, 2012 at 03:34 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:43 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,528 Posts
Not sure as I don't use em. If you need to free up a channel you can always change the way your TV wiring is and Y elevator with TV pitch, but this would remove tv aileron. Ask someone for a better setup.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:40 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk671 View Post
... my problems... landing!!! with my nerves...shallow altitude.... i was coming in really hot
Hey Janthony... Don't bother with the flapperons cause the way you're flying now, you're almost certain to stall because you're flying too many steps behind the approach.
You were landing your grey camo so much better so I think its more nerves since you already summarized all the things you should be doing.

There was one vid where you were landing in some insane winds Too!!!
Take some pressure off your self and try not to thread the needle. Put you back to the light standards so you are not flying at them or between them while you're already tasked with decent. I've taken a parky and nailed a standard so
Put your car on the light standard side or further off the road. That way you're just concentrating on your flight line.

Did you noticed, your landings were better under power flying the plane to the ground. A glided ballistic approach has higher energy that has to be controlled and trying to compensate too late letting the plane get ahead of you rather than the reverse just needs practise.

Oh the punishment to the gear... Ouch Ouch ... like watching skateboarders failing a stunt
Try doing a number of flights where its just slow passes, pre stall, where you keep some throttle but reduce it to see how thrust corresponds with altitude. By doing that you'll see when you are about to flare to level, its just a slight thrust increase with almost no added pitch, and then cut the throttle as its about to touch.
Gliding is different since, changing winds, and the dependency for a lot more input to find that sweet spot on a non windy day, its harder to describe what to do cause you are doing a lot more, all different depending on the conditions.
Both are good to learn, just one is less predictable.
Maxthrottle is online now Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 30, 2012, 08:18 PM
John
Joined Mar 2011
436 Posts
max, v8, and damon that is such great advice and trust me it is well received... and i will put it to work on he next flight
Old Dec 30, 2012, 08:30 PM
Joined Aug 2012
130 Posts
I have been looking at pictures of the SU35 on the net and i don't see any nav lights, should i not use them? I dont want it to look messed
JTAnimal is offline Find More Posts by JTAnimal
Old Dec 30, 2012, 08:40 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,528 Posts
I believe there are nav liights on the wing tips/ missle mount, back side of each verticle stab few inches below the top, and underside of the cockpit. That's all I've seen, but could be wrong. I bought the light kit from Nitroplanes and was going to add the lights to the back of the very stabs but never got around to running em back.

Edit:

actually think I saw those lights on a Su34, sooo...not sure
Last edited by v8truckin; Dec 30, 2012 at 08:54 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:18 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,247 Posts
You're right V8. The nav lights on the back of the rudders, on the wing tips just behind the com light bars, on top where the air brake was on the 27, and below the pilot are the ground lighting pods. And the landing lights on the nose strut.
Maxthrottle is online now Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:36 PM
United States, AR, Jacksonville
Joined Jul 2004
394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarreraGTSCS View Post
If I put a layer or two of carbon cloth on the inside and outside of the ducts will that strengthen them sufficiently to land on without damage to them?
Just my 2 cents:

I think you'd be wasting your time. The foam on this jet is so easily damaged it isn't even funny. I have to be carefull with how I grasp it to avoid putting finger dents into the surface.

Like someone mentioned earlier, this plane's structural integrity is barely sufficient to fly and then land on it's gear. Any adverse stress gaurantees some kind of damage.
Whiskey Whiskey is offline Find More Posts by Whiskey Whiskey
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:20 PM
Cut the yellow wire
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
8,997 Posts
Thanks WW. I guess this'll be a Saturday/Sunday flyer only until summer comes around and I can fly from the big school parking lot.
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:55 PM
John
Joined Mar 2011
436 Posts
Ok guys, I did some crosswind landing training for myself today. I was trying to convice myself not to fly today because of the crosswinds.... but I just had to!!! anyway, I think I did rather well!!! Don't be fooled by the video, the landing was actually a lot smoother than it looked.... and yes that is one of my main landing gear wheels that dettatched from the spoke and bounces across the screen.... but that is due to the damage caused by all my other failed landings taking it's toll on the wheels... anyway all is fixed and all is well. enjoy the video.

Freewing Su-35 Twin 70mm EDF Jet Crosswind Landing Training (5 min 12 sec)
Old Jan 01, 2013, 12:28 AM
Australia, NSW, Williamtown RAAF
Joined Aug 2008
2,396 Posts
Practice makes perfect!

What made that one a bit hard was the early flare and 'balloon' which left you with less energy for the next flare, which you had to try to fix at the last second. Adding power was the right idea, but she needed a little more nose up to arrest the sink at the end.

You had a heap of runway there. Practice that smooth flare, hold off and touch down - using as much length as you like. Remember, a good landing starts with a good approach.

The crosswind makes doing all that smoothly at lot more challenging.

I managed to catch a reasonable xwind landing on video during the maiden of my Sabre.

Landing is after the 1:45 mark ...

Dans RC Sabre Maiden 2 (2 min 52 sec)

Cheers,

Dan.
dro56595@bigpo is offline Find More Posts by dro56595@bigpo
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2013, 01:21 AM
Life begins at transition
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,588 Posts
A quick question - do most people prefer to cross up on finals, or in the flare? Or don't you bother with rudder, even on a xwind landing?
Odysis is offline Find More Posts by Odysis