SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 29, 2012, 02:34 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,482 Posts
Ya ya I know. But its the only way to get an orientation baseline which is why its used on aircraft as well. Take the statement, facing the front of the ship... I can face the front of the ship at any angle. Its easy to take for granted that people sometimes do think differently and can read the same words the complete opposite so.....

I wonder how many times they got it wrong centuries ago till they finally came up with Port, Starboard, Bow and Stern.... I can here the, "NO! Your OTHER RIGHT!" being yelled so many times till they came up with something.
Maxthrottle is offline Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Freewing 90mm F-16C
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2012, 02:56 PM
dallas tx
Joined Jun 2003
2,905 Posts
Thats the navy way!!!!
capt soap is offline Find More Posts by capt soap
Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:07 PM
Joined Aug 2012
131 Posts
The words port and starboard are becomming lost. lots of people, when asked, would not know what they mean. I did but was trying to be funny, i was in the Navy back in the early 80's I'm even a Shellback. Most people won't know that one either.
JTAnimal is offline Find More Posts by JTAnimal
Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:46 PM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
4,041 Posts
Hardly. As long as there are boats and planes (which adopted nautical terms) and navies, those words will be used. You're just being a silly Pollywog
fredmdbud is offline Find More Posts by fredmdbud
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:46 PM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
Quick CG question. Is there a reference mark on the top or bottom of the wings that you use for a quick CG test? The Euro has them and I'm just wondering if anyone has found a similar for this one. Thanks.
av8ersteve is offline Find More Posts by av8ersteve
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:10 PM
Life begins at transition
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,593 Posts
The back of the big red dashed rectangles on the top.
Odysis is offline Find More Posts by Odysis
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:20 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,482 Posts
We posted pictures of the CG150 mark from the forward edge of the square hole that the aileron wires pass thru.

Port n starboard... You take a cruise they teach the term, work in space, they use the terms, aircraft industry, same, and oh yes nautical operations. It explains orientation with one word, so it's not going away any time soon.
Maxthrottle is offline Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Freewing 90mm F-16C
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:38 PM
Lori, hey, you're home early
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,129 Posts
Post #701, pg 47
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
Old Dec 30, 2012, 08:02 AM
John
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Mar 2011
436 Posts
hey what's up everyone... i have been pretty quiet on the forums!! after crashing my grey camo su.. i took over 2 months sebatical... so now i am trying to get back into it... and with a new airframe.... the experience over the last month has been quite interesting... it's like learning how to ride a bike again... my problems... landing!!! with my nerves at their max... i was forgetting to make my approaches at a more shallow altitude.... i was coming in really hot, also i was using ailerons vs. rudders which also hasn't been ending well... i have broken two rectracts, but luckily i had the spares from the grey camo... anyways i do have videos ofall my flights so here they are... starting with my final flight of my grey camo su-35

Freewing SU-35 Grey Camo Final Flight (1 min 20 sec)
jk671 is offline Find More Posts by jk671
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:18 AM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxthrottle View Post
We posted pictures of the CG150 mark from the forward edge of the square hole that the aileron wires pass thru.

Port n starboard... You take a cruise they teach the term, work in space, they use the terms, aircraft industry, same, and oh yes nautical operations. It explains orientation with one word, so it's not going away any time soon.
Thanks. I missed that pic. That's exactly what I was looking for.
av8ersteve is offline Find More Posts by av8ersteve
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:26 AM
Lori, hey, you're home early
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,129 Posts
Jk671-- Do you have your TV active?
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:31 AM
John
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Mar 2011
436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarreraGTSCS View Post
Jk671-- Do you have your TV active?
at the time of the crash i did.. i was pulling high alpha when i got a gust of tail wind puting me in a stall... i tried to punch it.... but ended up spiralling down and then pancaking
jk671 is offline Find More Posts by jk671
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:15 AM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,703 Posts
Ya jk I saw all your desert camo botched landing, some help is needed. As I told you on YouTube your trying to land from to high in a short distance, thus it's almost like a dive. Not that it can't be done, but you need to get that nose up and higher AoA before touching down and giving a lil throttle will help slow her down. Or Just come in a lil shallower with the same approach of a nose up high AoA and the you can almost glide in, she's a great plane that floats in so when you make your final turn lower your throttle to about 1/4-1/2 and as she gets closer slowly lower it more until she gets a nice steady descent and keep throttl there about few sec as she continues to the runway, before TD chop it if need be. I know it easier to say than do, but remember throttle input and AoA is your friend. Watch a few of my wing cam vids and you'll see what I mean.

I'm sure others will have there approaches and style, so gather what you can.

Here's a video I posted awhile back that shows my approach.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=5352
v8truckin is offline Find More Posts by v8truckin
Last edited by v8truckin; Dec 30, 2012 at 01:03 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:36 PM
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Oct 2011
3,372 Posts
Definitely agree with v8. The first thing I thought when watching your landings is that you are diving to the runway. I think it would help a lot if you stretched out your approach some and came in much more shallow. It seems that you are diving into the runway and then coming in fast and hitting the deck very hard. Stretching it out some will allow you to come in more shallow and give you more time to bleed off some speed so you're not coming in so hot. Will give you more time to line up as well, looks like you are always fighting to stay lined up and most times land near the edge and hit the ruff stuff. Cant really tell in video but is some of that fighting to stay lined up just cross wind? Just seems like you are always bouncing around and on the ails all the time back and forth and then end up at a point where you just plop it down. Do you have any expo dialed in?
DamonH is online now Find More Posts by DamonH
Last edited by DamonH; Dec 30, 2012 at 12:43 PM.