HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 16, 2012, 05:22 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,515 Posts
Max,

Ya I can get some vid, but prolly won't be till this next wknd or Xmas wk due to work load, trying to finish some jobs up before the holiday, but ill be off all Xmas wk so lots of flying and building. Hey you can always send those gforce 60c to me and I'll test em out for you then send em to ya...

Av8r,

Won't be able to do that till mid wk, so maybe someone else can get it for you before then.
v8truckin is offline Find More Posts by v8truckin
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:18 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by av8ersteve View Post
... pic of your aileron servo and control horn,
... elevator full up and down?
Aileron servos are on short arms hitting the mount walls so you don't really have a choice but to go high on the arm, mid on the horn to get max thow without the link rubbing against the wing.
I had to adjust the throw so that it didn't bind against the mount walls.
Its not huge throws unless you cut a slot into the side walls of the mount but then the linkage still stops you going the few millimeters more.

The elevator was already posted and you mentioned already looking at it. I flipped mine to scale fed under the rudder mount using a different horn and linkage... Same stock servo and arm. The throw end points are just like posted in the manual.

As I said earlier Wargasm set his to go further, picture for that are also posted in the gallery, and he later said the extra wasn't needed. The horn later broke away video'd in a total loss of his desert camo version.
It was one incentive for changing out the horns of the stabs as he advised, especially if you intend to run it hard. But normal use nothing needs to be done other than inspecting that they're properly anchored/mounted.
Maxthrottle is online now Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:34 PM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
Thanks. I got it. Well I guess I'm set up and ready to go then other than CG. I have read couple diff locations but I guess the 155 mark is where to start from, right? Or somewhere else?
av8ersteve is offline Find More Posts by av8ersteve
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:14 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2011
2,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
Even if he does end up at same weight or less, with 170a combined on 2x4s 3700mah parallel (7400mah combined) he ain't getting much flight time.

7.4ah (60) = 444

444/ 170a = 2.6min

2.6min (.80) = 2.08min if WOT flight time

So if 50/50 on the throttle then he should be landing @ 2.5min no where near my landing on 5000mah 6s which has me landing @ 3.5min and still putting back 25-30% into my battery on charge.
For all interested here is my bench test of ARC 28-58-1 on CS12B WATTS UP meter, was stuck using an old 4s 25c LiPo, ...

EDF BENCH TEST: ARC 28-58-1 / CS12Blade 70mm Fan: The Guts in my Su35 (3 min 39 sec)
IntheTubeDeep is online now Find More Posts by IntheTubeDeep
Last edited by IntheTubeDeep; Dec 19, 2012 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Miss spelling
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:21 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,817 Posts
yep batt not up to feeding that beast........need bigger batt
jcdfrd is offline Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:24 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2,472 Posts
Quote:
Thanks. I got it. Well I guess I'm set up and ready to go then other than CG. I have read couple diff locations but I guess the 155 mark is where to start from, right? Or somewhere else?
My Grey Camo I flew at 150, the stated range of CG was 145-155, flew great at 150
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:26 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdfrd View Post
yep batt not up to feeding that beast........need bigger batt
Yeah luckily I have 2 new 60-120c 4s 3700s arriving this week, might be able to push 4000s
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:29 PM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntheTubeDeep View Post
Yeah luckily I have 2 new 60-120c 4s 3700s arriving this week, might be able to push 4000s
What was the mAh of the battery used in the video?
You'll likely have to balance again at what ever higher rpm the new batts may generate, though did you do any balancing for the vid? Because if not much is needed that could be better manufacturing on CS's part or that you're not turning high enough rpms to make it a critical consideration yet. If the later then I'd love to know the thrust/efflux numbers; particularly "in the tube" to get a sense if its got any grunt to it.

You didn't seem to run it up fairly hard for any length of time. Just brief peaks. That may paint a decieving picture for yourself also. After the first 30 sec of low run up you kind of need to hold WOT for 10-20 sec to get a sense, or when you do higher installed, it may turn out differently than what you're doing in such a bench test.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Maxthrottle; Dec 18, 2012 at 04:36 PM.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:15 PM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
Quote:
My Grey Camo I flew at 150, the stated range of CG was 145-155, flew great at 150
Thanks. That's where I'll start then. Max, V8, SU, where do you prefer your CG?
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:20 PM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
What is a good set-up with the CS12 on 6S? Is there one?
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:39 PM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,228 Posts
Quote:
Thanks. That's where I'll start then. Max, V8, SU, where do you prefer your CG?
CG is pilots choice which is why I didn't answer. I can get a trainer and set it very nose heavy for a newbie or mid to aft still calculating that it remains stable but adjusting the controls accordingly.

Same with this. I know the tipping point is ~167mm and started at 155mm and immediately moved it to 165mm. But I've flown TV, full moving stabs and 3D. So my answer not knowing your flight experience goes back to follow the manual and work from there. I found CG145-150mm you will need more pitch up trim which effects other things but you may not notice such. So 150mm is a good guess to start with as an average of the two.

Quote:
What is a good set-up with the CS12 on 6S? Is there one?
The only thing known about the CS70/12 on 6S is its similar to the CS70/10 6S on the bench. No one has taken it any further than that and documented real comparision. You can read the CS 70/ 12 thread on whats been tried so far. Based on that since the 28-58-1 wasn't ideal for the 10, at this power range I'm waiting to see if that rings true for inthetubes 4S setup.
The question needs to be refined some also. What kind of flying do you intend? You can get a reply telling you how great ones experience with a particular setup was fantastic only to find out it was weak in certain areas for your desired application.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:34 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxthrottle View Post
What was the mAh of the battery used in the video?
You'll likely have to balance again at what ever higher rpm the new batts may generate, though did you do any balancing for the vid? Because if not much is needed that could be better manufacturing on CS's part or that you're not turning high enough rpms to make it a critical consideration yet. If the later then I'd love to know the thrust/efflux numbers; particularly "in the tube" to get a sense if its got any grunt to it.

You didn't seem to run it up fairly hard for any length of time. Just brief peaks. That may paint a decieving picture for yourself also. After the first 30 sec of low run up you kind of need to hold WOT for 10-20 sec to get a sense, or when you do higher installed, it may turn out differently than what you're doing in such a bench test.
The batt was an OLD Turnigy 25c 3600 4s-- you could see the voltage drop below 13v on the meter at full throttle so only gave it a few quick bursts at WOT. As for quality CS could have done a little better on the balace of blades, they are not ready to fly for sure, did the best I could on my DuBro to get it close. Will do one more test when my new batts arrive, maybe the fans will be in the plane by then-- at least I hope so!
Last edited by IntheTubeDeep; Dec 18, 2012 at 08:37 PM. Reason: miss-spelling
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:43 PM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,228 Posts
Quote:
The batt was an OLD Turnigy 25c 3600 4s-- you could see the voltage drop below 13v on the meter at full throttle so only gave it a few quick bursts at WOT. As for quality CS could have done a little better on the balace of blades, they are not ready to fly for sure, did the best I could on my DuBro to get it close. Will do one more test when my new batts arrive, maybe the fans will be in the plane by then-- at least I hope so!
Well for such a short run you used enough amps from the battery to drop its deliverable amps down to 75amps which made me wonder what you were using. When you get the proper batteries you'll see more rpm and more amps.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:11 AM
Joined Jan 2011
2,472 Posts
ARC/CS12B on 4s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxthrottle View Post
Well for such a short run you used enough amps from the battery to drop its deliverable amps down to 75amps which made me wonder what you were using. When you get the proper batteries you'll see more rpm and more amps.
Thanks for the input-- those fans seem to put out a lot of thrust, I'm really curious how they perform in the Su35, considering it was on a bench with no intake or exhaust shrouds. I really was hoping I could run 4000mAh or higher, but the weight of a 4000 is at least 500g x 2 = 1000g, more than I wanted to fly on. The 3700s weigh 397g, so I'll be in the air less than 800g on the 2 batts...
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:20 AM
Let the hating begin
HAMPTON VA
Joined Dec 2009
861 Posts
Im repainting mine now like this
evalith8 is offline Find More Posts by evalith8
Last edited by evalith8; Dec 19, 2012 at 04:06 PM.