HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:58 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by av8ersteve View Post
Now those Gforce 5000, 60C looks like a good price. Are there any worries of puffing those on a stock set-up SU or Euro? Looks like you would be able to push those as hard as you liked without having to worry (stock set-ups that is).
well im using the 40c and theyve held up great. So I can imagine those 60c would be more than up to taking a beating, just do t run it past 80% capacity for longevity of the lipo.
v8truckin is offline Find More Posts by v8truckin
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:10 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
5,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
Max the link wasn't showing up right on my side I'll repost again.Gforce elite 5000mah 40c
Thanks for the Vid V8. I updated the Comprehensive SU-35 Battery list with these batteries and added some better notes for some to get a better handle on how their battery choice may perform and for how long.
Did the 5000mAh 40C come out to the posted weight of 778g? And do you know if only Value is selling them since they don't ship out of continental US.
I'd go for those 60C 5000 since they are not very heavy either. You could probably do a good 3 minutes of straight 3D with them as still have plenty of reserve.
Maxthrottle is online now Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Maxthrottle; Dec 15, 2012 at 05:01 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:14 PM
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Nov 2012
282 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys, appreciate it. Nice vid V8truckin, makes me want to get out and fly mine.
Taman is online now Find More Posts by Taman
Last edited by Taman; Dec 16, 2012 at 01:18 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:04 AM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,321 Posts
Thanks Taman!

Max,
just weighted my gforce elite 5000mah 40c and it weights 741g (with EC5) , not the 778g that valuehobby lists.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:26 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
9,375 Posts
Not much LEF work this week as it ended up... but getting close to done.

One thing I found was in one of the stock elevator servos I had taken out, and now used for the LEF.... it has about 0.5mm of slop in the outpur gear top end!!
This would explain part of the elevator stepping (not all, but will appear as some of it) and 'error' seen when changing one direction to the other - because that slop/play of the gear bush.bearing has to be taken up first!
So now I have to think about what other pair of servos to use for the LEF's....
They came like that, they had never been used except during construction and initial control setup... and seeing the issues in stepping and freeplay that they had. (I haven't checked the second one yet)

Both wings have the hinged LEF's installed, but the damaged wing side has not had it re-built up yet - the compressed and hacked foam leading edge area. But they operate as planned, and that 2.5mm plywood facing ended up being exactly what was required to give a firm/solid LEF motion over the entire lengh. "Twisting tests" show it is pretty well just the right strength to cope with the level of airflow 'stresses' it might ever encounter, so I am very confident in the whole assembly being "adequate, with safety margin" for the task. And certainly NOTHING like the Starmax F-16 LEF debacle! LOL

I have to work out if I can build it all up (damaged LEF edge, top joint pivot gap tape etc), but not paint anything, and also still have a "LEF gap cover strip" fitted, all done viably just for testing before any prepping and painting. I want tests to be done WITH the LEF gap cover strip.

I have ended up with about 25deg, or so, of LEF max angle.
I think it is all going to be more of a technical investigation than of any truly great use to have! But it will be interesting to see WHAT it does when used! I expect it will HAVE to alter the airfoil, and thus effective angle of incidence - so the plane will have to alter attitude as they come down. Theoretically to be more nose up.... but it will be interesting to see what really happens!
They can actually even move to UPWARDS by quite an angle also (pretty well only limited by servo travel!).... but doing that is not likely to be a good idea! hehe (and not their intended purpose)
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PeterVRC; Dec 16, 2012 at 12:32 AM.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:56 AM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
5,934 Posts
Quote:
... 5000mah 40c and it weights 741g (with EC5) , not the 778g that valuehobby lists.
Done. The 5000 60C if its light as well may be a battery worth looking at for weight, performance and duration.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: EDF Design
Old Dec 16, 2012, 02:38 AM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,321 Posts
Ya I just may have to get one to try out. Since there is only 10g difference between the 2 on the vendors specs, I hope it holds true for actual weight. Also be nice if they are lighter than vendor specs.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 05:54 AM
RC is healthy for your brains!
Italy, Lombardy, Milan
Joined Nov 2012
70 Posts
your feeling

Quote:
Max the link wasn't showing up right on my side I'll repost again.

Gforce elite 5000mah 40c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5-0moYKgbI
That's a nice job! How do you rate the effectiveness, do you suggest it as an easy mod for anybody? Does it slow down a lot, also as you have shown during the landing approach? Or is it effective only during taxing mostly?
Thanks!
.Superfly. is offline Find More Posts by .Superfly.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:37 AM
Italy, Lombardy, Milan
Joined Nov 2012
70 Posts
electric setup

Hi again everyone! I was just thinking, since the electric setup is inherently twin, with two fans, two esc and everything, would it be possible to fit two batteries that are separately feeding their own esc only?
Do you see any complications on that, and also any advantages? Does it help in any way for choosing the right wire gauge, the right connector and the right C capability?
Thanks a lot
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:24 AM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,321 Posts
Super,

its pretty easy mod to do, the main thing it to use a strong enough servo that will withhold the force since its doesn't have a trailing arm for support. I stripped a nylon 9g servo and switched to a metal gear servo. Also yes it is effective on landings and the main purpose I used it was to slow me down on landings, but it doesn't drop my nose to bad on landings.

Max,

That last update to the list is great it'll definitely help ppl. As far as I know valuehobby is the only place I've seen carry em.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:20 PM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
5,934 Posts
Quote:
...That last update to the list is great it'll definitely help ppl. As far as I know valuehobby is the only place I've seen carry em.
Hopefully. I'll have to order some and have them sent to relatives.
Hey demo some hard uneditied 3D with them since you're still my best product tester The low weight load for a higher C count battery is what catches my eye. Greater range of use with a shallower drop off so that you get performance to the last 20%.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: EDF Design
Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:57 PM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
5,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Superfly. View Post
A) two batteries that are separately feeding their own esc only?
B) wire gauge,
C) the right connector
D) C capability?
A) Not great idea. The motor demands are often not perfect and freeing them to there own demand can and usually does mean one cuts out early which starts messing with your flight unnecessarily.

B) Weight is the consideration. The less resistance in the circuit the more efficient it works but you have a tipping point where a lot of higher gauge can start showing up as a penalty which its the lesser of the evil (contrary to some who prefer weight, most attempt to reduce weight where you see some of the easiest and interesting of 3D). I should add avoid unnecessary wire length. Longer the wire again more resistance. The speed demons take out as much wire as possible and match connectors to the setup.

C) Avoid choke points. If you're circuit has a certain accumulated load make sure your connectors match or are better.... again the weight thing.

D) Higher the better unless the battery weight starts becoming a penalty. If you look at the comments on the battery list it explains this further but there are two approaches to batteries. High C count or high mAh Capacity. Trouble with capacity approach with lower C count is your mAh are always being used up till the capacity against the C rating isn't delivering enough amps that your motor demands. This actually happens quite quickly but usually gradual depending on how hard you intend to fly. High C count, it may start out being able to deliver 300amps in example but as the capacity depletes the delivered amps from the battery can still be above the motor demand so virtually no or less notable fall off until you start getting close to the end of the flight. Most high C rated batteries are heavier and much more expensive so sometimes there is compromise. Oh and there is a general understanding that some manufacturers exaggerate their momentary rating to be what you're buying .... again that's sometimes not understanding what kinds of demands you intended.

But note any battery that calculates out to deliverable amps will do so usually for the first 30-45 seconds. From there some slowly or quickly drop off if the count C rating is low.
Capacity still works if you're not going nuts on demand but want to fly a little longer. I have a mix of both.

Just keep the formula (mAh/1000)*C rating = delivered amps. You can then work out what your demand may be and at what point depleting capacity starts effecting deliverable amps.
Hope it helps.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Maxthrottle; Dec 16, 2012 at 02:29 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 02:23 PM
Italy, Lombardy, Milan
Joined Nov 2012
70 Posts
rc university

Yes Max, you are a great help, as a few others here that constantly fed me with answers.
I am very happy to have found rc groups, this is putting me on a different planet.
The only thing that is making me very sad is that we will never probably meet all together and we will not fly as if we were all belonging to the local club...
Old Dec 16, 2012, 02:46 PM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
Max, or V8. Could you take a quick pic of your aileron servo and control horn, then a side pic of full up and down deflection? Then one of your elevator full up and down? I would greatly appreciate it. I'm ready to maiden, but not today as was scheduled. Raining like crazy here in Morganton, NC. Crap, and have to work all week sun up to sun down. Maiden for next weekend I guess. Gives me a week to look at her and adjust though.
av8ersteve is offline Find More Posts by av8ersteve
Last edited by av8ersteve; Dec 16, 2012 at 03:25 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 03:48 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
9,375 Posts
You really would pretty much never want a battery wired per motor. You can still use a pair, but just "X" connect them (for twin motor setups) so they are actually in parallel.
Two go in... join leads... two go out.
Using an "X" join means the leads into and out of the X can be just the gauge suited for one motor, and one battery. eg Running at max 70Amps per motor (if a high power 6S 70mm setup) only needs 10AWG anywhere. But if you paralleled them into a "Y", then its output would need to go to 8AWG - eg in a single fan output of that, or if you ran one lead to somewhere before "Y"ing out again to go to two motors.

I don't think any "use two batteries instead of one" scenarios in the Su would likely work out useful though. Some aircraft, where the space suits, or needs it, a pair of smaller batteries can then becomes useful to do.
I have twin 4000mAH in my Dynam Me-262, with an "X" (Should be pics etc in my thread on a build log), but it has a TON of room and that is length-wise, so two batteries can go nose to tail perfectly in it.
In the Su they would go side by side, and that give no benefit... just more total weight for the same capacity.
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: ESC/Battery Anti-Spark lead