HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 12, 2012, 03:24 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2011
2,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxthrottle View Post
Which batteries will you be going with? and how much amps do you figure on the 28-58-1s burning to get what will likely be 2.7kg thrust once in the tube. Because I've been trying to see what the transition point from 4S to 5S etc would be for the CS70/12, while keeping the battery weight within 675g-850g.
Dave right in keeping to 4S with the 28-58-1s because the fan load is higher and the KV for those motors are too high (Recomended Output: 1+ kW KV: 3180) for higher volts. If you went with other motors, 6S wouldn't be an issue. I've used the 28-58-1 at 6S. Its designed around the wemo mini. But the wemo has a different pitch and wash with less blades.
Batteries are my issue now! I'm looking at the Gens Ace 60-120c 4000s and 4800s, the 4000s weigh 473g, the 4800s 540g so now leaning towards the 4000s. Anything over 4000mAh seems to come in over 500g, was told to not use any LiPo under 60c for these motors so I'm biting the bullet on the cost and buying 60c+ for this Su35. I was told this set up will draw 85A x2 =170A on 2 110A ESCs so I think I'm ok, just have to pull the trigger on the batts-- any suggestions?
IntheTubeDeep is offline Find More Posts by IntheTubeDeep
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2012, 03:43 PM
Munich
Joined Dec 2008
1,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmanbg View Post
Lindinger.at, I prefer lindinger but price there is a little high.

Do you know some other webshop selling Su-35 in Europe ?
As somebody wrote, ready2fly.eu, but they have exactly the same price as Lindinger. It seems you'll have to bite a bullet there .

Cheers,
Henrik
hklagges is offline Find More Posts by hklagges
Old Dec 12, 2012, 03:54 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
10,417 Posts
4S... all those numbers look scarey.....
The original design had a 4S version (if they ever made them?) but that is only done to allow a low power setup.... and much more sensible to move to 6S for the higher power version, because 4S at those power levels is an 'Amp hungry monster'. Even the 6S setups are causing some battery grief for some people.... I would hate to be a 4S battery in the higher power setup!!!
PeterVRC is online now Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:23 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntheTubeDeep View Post
....any suggestions?
Hard to.... less or equal thrust to factory for under 3 min flight time ((4/85)*60)??? times 85% so more like 2.5 min. Those ARCs are also 153g ea. which is a plus but the 100amp ESC's have to be heavier to handle the 85amps along with heavier Batteries.....over all the higher heat, battery weight for marginal thrust and shorter run time??? I just wouldn't go down this road.

Especially since you can get the CS70/10 at 65amps on cheaper 6S motors that put out higher thrust/efflux for 4 minutes. Even the 5mm shaft HET motors used for the 10s are only $70 ea. Since the 10 and the 12 demand is not too dissimilar, I'd go with that or a BL32. Another assumption here too is balancing the 12 fan on the 3.17mm ARC shaft...If not perfect your performance is even less than optimal.

I'd hold them for another model and start over for this one. But then we'll have to see cause some one has got to try.
Maxthrottle is offline Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Maxthrottle; Dec 12, 2012 at 04:33 PM.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 05:16 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,537 Posts
Tube,

I tried searching for a battery that would give you lighter weight and good flight time under 500g, but isn't gonna happen. Like its been said on 6s you can get away with 30,35,40C batteries (I prefer 35C at least) because the load on the batteries isn't as bad as it will be on 4s, due to the fact that your pulling less amps. On a 4s setup 170a is going to punish a lipo below 40C, so ya I think it's in your best interest to do 60C lipo however the weight they add is a draw back. I have to agree with the others on this and I wouldnt do a 4s setup on this jet, just to many issues to work around. Maybe try a stock 5 blade setup...?
v8truckin is offline Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:36 PM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
Hey guys, does this look about right for my up, down vector center? Sitting on a level table with mains extended.
av8ersteve is offline Find More Posts by av8ersteve
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:53 PM
Joined Nov 2006
10,417 Posts
The TV looks to be pointing downwards to me....

Check the gaps from the TV nozzle front face, to the fuselage face. Check the verticals and the horizontals that way.
Hard to see 100% for sure in the pic, but the lower gap is smaller... but also just the 'whole TV outline' look stilted downwards too.
Plus you can compare the TV nozzle horizontal mid lines to the tail piece horizontal joint line.

The elevator looks to be the same amount downwards too.... reference as the tail piece horizontal join again - and even the table top, which the default AoA Stance of he Su is a negative AoA, thus the elevator would be a bit UPWARDS of parallel to the table, not downwards like the pic.

The elevator is only a fraction down, and you would also over-ride that by your control. The TV... unless you have the 'on' all the time, will give down-thrust 'all the time', so you want that one correct right away.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PeterVRC; Dec 12, 2012 at 06:59 PM.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:02 PM
Some Girls r Bigger thn Others
USA, UT, Cedar Hills
Joined Jun 2010
1,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by av8ersteve View Post
Hey guys, does this look about right for my up, down vector center? Sitting on a level table with mains extended.
I agree it looks down, it should level with the back of the plane not the ground.
swps is offline Find More Posts by swps
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:06 PM
Joined Nov 2006
10,417 Posts
Oh yeah... that will be why it is down... because the way the Su has that Negative AoA stance, and you aligned it the ground - which is not the same as the horizontal centreline down the plane - so the plane itself is not a useful reference for 'level to the ground'.
Take all references to the PLANE itself.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:13 PM
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
1,935 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntheTubeDeep View Post
Batteries are my issue now! I'm looking at the Gens Ace 60-120c 4000s and 4800s, the 4000s weigh 473g, the 4800s 540g so now leaning towards the 4000s. Anything over 4000mAh seems to come in over 500g, was told to not use any LiPo under 60c for these motors so I'm biting the bullet on the cost and buying 60c+ for this Su35. I was told this set up will draw 85A x2 =170A on 2 110A ESCs so I think I'm ok, just have to pull the trigger on the batts-- any suggestions?
I'm flying Zippy 5000 40C and it performs very well in both 3D and the vertical. They are around 800 grams if I recall. I see no advantage it putting lots of dollars out when I paid $65 each for mine. I fly mine in scale contest all over and am very competitive with anything else that shows up. Or did I miss something farther back in the thread?
acesimmer is offline Find More Posts by acesimmer
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:17 PM
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
1,935 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by av8ersteve View Post
I have mine point up 2mm (positive) referenced to the hash marks on the nozzles. Flies perfect with that setting.
acesimmer is offline Find More Posts by acesimmer
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:32 PM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
Got it, thanks. One more for ya. How much DR and Expo do you guys fly with on high and low rates? I'm using second hole on elevator servo arm, (from output shaft on servo), and last hole on elevator. Aileron is as the pictured in the manual. I don't mean to bug to much but I'm trying to get set up for maiden on Friday. Thanks once again guys.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:39 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,537 Posts
There are centerline marks on the TV nozzles I would use those (that's what I used) and I gave a a pinch more, then trimmed in flight. Also it would depend what surface your flying off of, but that looks a tad down to center.
v8truckin is offline Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:00 PM
Joined Nov 2006
10,417 Posts
Those TV 'marks' are too 'large' for the 'thin edge' reference you have to use them against, so you could easily have 1 deg of error or more. They aren't worth using.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:19 PM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
There are centerline marks on the TV nozzles I would use those (that's what I used) and I gave a a pinch more, then trimmed in flight. Also it would depend what surface your flying off of, but that looks a tad down to center.
That's exactly what I did then added just a hair up, (you can clearly see the marks on bottom, and the ones on top have just about disappeared), and that got me close to air frame center line. The rest can be trimmed out in flight, then when I get down, I can adjust the throws and get rid of as much trim as possible. Thanks all for looking and sharing. Now, how about those DR and Expo setting? Maiden is set for Friday. I don't want it to twitchy.

Max, I have my elevator set up as you described in post #9, green line. Thanks.