HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:18 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
10,416 Posts
Hehe, my Me-262 (3.6Kg 1500mm) is far better in wind thanks to its mass/inertia.
I was out this morning (which was a perfect 20degC sunny and calm day) and you can just SEE the mass/inertia through the landing process.
eg a bit of nose up, down, 'corrections' don't alter the flight decent path much at all. Of course only a few degrees, but the same attitude change in lighter planes makes them balloon/porpoise quite a bit etc.
They just track tons better through all flight procedures. I would never go back to the 'whacky lightness' of typical foamies!!
I actually haven't reached the weight level I would like in any plane so far.... seeing I only do it by 'non wasteful' means, like more batteries, mods etc, you only get so far.... but generally 15% to 25% heavier across them all, and no issues to be seen from doing that.
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:12 AM
Joined Sep 2011
242 Posts
To me, the COG is too far back. In a windy condition, forward COG is easier to bring the nose down. Try 145 or 150mm, I find it better to land this bird.
genghiskt is offline Find More Posts by genghiskt
Old Dec 11, 2012, 05:01 AM
Joined Nov 2006
10,416 Posts
You don't want a nose heavy plane just to make it land 'better'. The rest of the flying won't be 'better'! Not so important if all you do is fly around level/scale though.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 11, 2012, 05:22 AM
Joined Sep 2011
242 Posts
At least I can do what it meant to do!! I can take it off and land it back. Cobra, flat-spin.....you name it.

Pete, I think you should spend more time in the air than on the bench. Too much theory sometime is not good. Air time is what you need.

Sorry mate !!
genghiskt is offline Find More Posts by genghiskt
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:05 AM
Joined Nov 2006
10,416 Posts
I fly almost every day....
At least 5 days of any given week.... or like today... twice - morning (12 flights) and evening (3 flights).
Lots of planes to choose from....
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:11 AM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
At least 5 days of any given week.... or like today... twice - morning (12 flights) and evening (3 flights).
I wish I could get out this often. I'm lucky to see the air once a week. That dad-gum boss man want let me...LOL.
av8ersteve is offline Find More Posts by av8ersteve
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:06 AM
Flying Hazard
Spain
Joined May 2006
2,606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
OMG. I'm so ENVIOUS.

+1 on the tailheavy side of the force.
SU-4ever is offline Find More Posts by SU-4ever
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:19 AM
Joined Nov 2006
10,416 Posts
Well, my 'downside' is that it is at two parks.... both with just the 22m x 2.5m cricket pitch "runway".... and trees right around the ovals. So 1000mm aircraft and under are more suited as they can stay within the 'lower' areas of the main ovals, or out over trees just a bit.
Larger planes have to fly over tree height (seeing they cover a lot more area in flight), which is about 30ft average I guess, and only get to 'swoop' down through the park area for low passes. But all in all that is still well enough suited to them really. And their landings are made more difficult by the need to remain higher, until closer and clearing the treeline - though there are two 'slots' to come in at low points (approx 90deg different directions), so often I do that, but there is risk of misjudging how far out you exactly are, and what height trees you are truly over, so I still have to keep a good leeway to be sure (and have hit a tree coming in on approach ONCE before....). A good approach can get a 1500mm aircraft down to the "Runway" threshold JUST in time, but usually a bit fast (due to that decent rate needed). And no way they will stop in time even IF you can align a 2.5m wide runway accurately enough! 1200mm and under can almost stop within the runway length - occassionally do, mostly don't, and are a bit easier to get into alignment seeing they are that bit slower and have more time too. And all only if the wind (if any) is in the right direction for that one direction runway.
So generally anything over 1000mm I just land on the grass, which is well kept 'sports oval' grass.

But at least they are just 5 min and 12 mins away (the further one is a larger total area and not near housing = larger planes almost only used there).
7am is a good 'no wind' time on most days, so the best flying is to be had then anyway! I get 1.5 hrs usually and just fly back to back, through whatever planes I take - 4 or 5 most often (can only fit one 1500mm and two 1000mm-1200mm, then a couple of 800mm's in the remaining "gaps").
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:20 PM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
WOW guys! Just have to say this. I have always been a Deans guy, I just soldered my first ever EC5 connector and well, I'm never looking back. These things ROCK! Time to change EVERYTHING over. EC5's from here on.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:35 PM
Joined Nov 2006
10,416 Posts
EC5.... XT150.... and all the other equal/smaller bullet based designs make Deans of any type dinosaurs! They should have gone extinct many years ago!! LOL
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:40 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by av8ersteve View Post
WOW guys! Just have to say this. I have always been a Deans guy, I just soldered my first ever EC5 connector and well, I'm never looking back. These things ROCK! Time to change EVERYTHING over. EC5's from here on.
Until you go to 8S. Then you'll start looking for 6mm. Save the trouble and think if you might do this and if so may as well do it now. XT150 or Andersons
Maxthrottle is offline Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:14 PM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
Glad you said something Max. I have a project in the works that will be using up to 10S. EC5's wont do it? Whats the amp failure point on these (max amps)? These things looked bullet proof. Which do you guys use?
Last edited by av8ersteve; Dec 11, 2012 at 07:21 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:46 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,537 Posts
Av8er,

I love EC5 & EC3, sooo much easier to solder than deans. After I had a deans fail I made the switch and never looked back. EC5 are rated for 120a, but look at deans they are rated for 65a and manufactures & hobbyists still use em on 75-100a setups (dumb if ya ask me). If you were to do a 90mm cs12 8s setup on your euro you'd be fine. 10s then ya you may look at a 6mm connector, but you could get away with 5mm. So ya EC5 on your SU is a wise choice. If you decide to do a CS12/10 70mm on the SU you may want to look at 6mm also since you'll be pushing 130a + combined, but still could do ec5.
v8truckin is offline Find More Posts by v8truckin
Last edited by v8truckin; Dec 11, 2012 at 07:54 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:40 PM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
Av8er,

I love EC5 & EC3, sooo much easier to solder than deans. After I had a deans fail I made the switch and never looked back. EC5 are rated for 120a, but look at deans they are rated for 65a and manufactures & hobbyists still use em on 75-100a setups (dumb if ya ask me). If you were to do a 90mm cs12 8s setup on your euro you'd be fine. 10s then ya you may look at a 6mm connector, but you could get away with 5mm. So ya EC5 on your SU is a wise choice. If you decide to do a CS12/10 70mm on the SU you may want to look at 6mm also since you'll be pushing 130a + combined, but still could do ec5.
Good deal. This is what I've decided to stick with. Like you said, SO much easier to solder.
Have another question. What is the best Digital servo that will fit right in for the elevators? No moding, just a direct replacement. Money isn't a factor. Just plain truth that "this servo will drop right in and it's the best digital out there". Just asking.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:47 AM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,249 Posts
Most 6mm have lower resistance so I go for that as much as looking at the peak rating. However, the EC5s are coupled together which requires couplers to pair batteries together. That add wire and weight and more resistance. XT150 are the simplest jacketed straight connector especially when setting up packs. So less weight length resistance and all the same safty.

I have tonnes of EC5s but they tend to get in the way when I'm looking to series batteries together so it became easier to standardize with 6mm.

Previous page the HS85MG which digital is the HS5085MG; love them but they're just more expensive. I'm still trying out some of the Corona's HV digitals. They seem ok but would like to ring them out more before I recommend them.
Maxthrottle is offline Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member