HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:15 PM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
I was just over thinking everything. I just have 5 mixes. Elevator To AUX 1. Elevator to AUX2. Rudder to Aux3. Aileron to AUX1. Aileron to AUX2. All controlled by switch H on and off. Like I said, I was just over thinking things and making it way more difficult than it should have been. Now, if there's another way to use this radio's extensive capabilities to get all this to work in a different way, I have no clue. I've never had a radio that can be programmed like this thing and honestly, it's going to take me a while to learn all I actually have available to me.

Wait a min, did you say elevon? I just have elevator set up. Now I'm going to go look for elevon in this radio. I'm never going to get this thing programmed. LOL

Do I do 2 more mixes, aileron to elevator? Time to go play some more.
av8ersteve is offline Find More Posts by av8ersteve
Last edited by av8ersteve; Dec 10, 2012 at 06:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:47 PM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
Nope. I would have to un-Y the elevators before I could get elevons and I'm out of channels with this 8 receiver. Crap! Going to HAVE to get a bigger one. Whats a good receiver out there with lots of channels that will work with the DX18 that doesn't cost a fortune? Is there one? Or do I just need to buy quality spectrum stuff? I don't want to loose a plane due to a poor receiver.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:53 PM
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
1,968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPE View Post
I am aslo building a kit su35, I am going to use HS85mg on elevators and ailerons, then HK HXT900's for everithing ealse.
I would not use those cheap ass 900's. I made the mistake of buying twenty for various projects and am down to just two. Electronics seem to fail after fifty flights and the plastic gear breaks if you loot at them sideways. My cheapest servo that I'll use now are the Hitec HS81 which seem pretty good for general use on flaps steering etc. HS81MG for more accurate flight stuff and others for the more expensive models.. Just my view from usage this summer.
acesimmer is offline Find More Posts by acesimmer
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:07 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,324 Posts
No No No. I only asked about applying elevon as I said to your Aux1/2 channels assigned to your TV. I asked Andy if Spek would allow independent assignment of some of the preset mixes, pitch assignment, pitch/roll, Rudder/pitch, Ail/Rudder; Assigned to the needed paired channels. The QQ radio has a bit of this now with Canard setup. But for some reason if they allow one set of functions it may effect others so its not entirely open.
As for RXs, there is the orange 9 channel. I've used them. I have had 2 different Orange 7s brown out on me but I was so high up with my P6 and a Park flier 540. But I still use them. I wouldn't for this model. As said the Spek 9 or 12 is your better choice but I also said putting the TV Yaw and a separate channel to place it on a switch isn't really necessary. So your 8 will do if you place one side of the tailerons in the extra channel and swap the Y to separate radio wires as I originally mentioned.
Even with my 9 channel I opted for taileron and then flapperon because as with the Euro I end up leaving TV on except on landing where the TV Yaw has the least impact being always on. So since you already spent the money on the 8 as said you can try one and do the other later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by av8ersteve View Post
Nope. I would have to un-Y the elevators before I could get elevons and I'm out of channels with this 8 receiver. Crap! Going to HAVE to get a bigger one. Whats a good receiver out there with lots of channels that will work with the DX18 that doesn't cost a fortune? Is there one? Or do I just need to buy quality spectrum stuff? I don't want to loose a plane due to a poor receiver.
Maxthrottle is offline Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Maxthrottle; Dec 10, 2012 at 09:47 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:10 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,570 Posts
HS81/HS81MG have been dicontinued, but HS82/HS82MG (same servo dim.) are a great servo which have upgraded minor problems of the HS81(MG). I love Hitec servos and use em for all my major control surfaces.
v8truckin is offline Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:25 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
10,641 Posts
Yeah, stay away from HXT900's! They were "ok" for a while, some time ago.
But all the ones for the last months go nutso on 6V, but at least somewhat OK on 5V.. just some jittering ones here and there.
The hobbyking brand ones are better... very smooth, accurate, stable with no jitter.....but still not suited for Su use! Up to about 1.2m aircraft I say.
Get a bit more serious for 1.5m/1.7m sized aircraft.

This series (all the yellow or white ones)
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...4kg_0_09s.html
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PeterVRC; Dec 10, 2012 at 09:47 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:59 PM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
Manual says 10-13mm for elevator center. Where's that sweet spot? 10,11,12,or 13? Max, V8, SU, anyone else that has flown it? I wish they would just say ___, and then adjust from there. Thanks guys.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:16 PM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by av8ersteve View Post
Manual says 10-13mm for elevator center. Where's that sweet spot? 10,11,12,or 13? Max, V8, SU, anyone else that has flown it? I wish they would just say ___, and then adjust from there. Thanks guys.
That can't say "X" because they posted a range for the CG. The further back the closer to 10. More forward 13. Some who made it very nose heavy CG140 were upwards of 20mm. With mine at CG165 I have it at 8mm.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:31 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,570 Posts
CG155 with elevator centerline is @ 13mm, however when I use a lil lighter lipo it can be 12 or 11mm depending on trim inflight
Last edited by v8truckin; Dec 11, 2012 at 12:10 AM. Reason: misinterpreted q:
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:46 PM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
CG155 with elevator travel @ 13mm (HR) & 8mm (LR), like Max said cg plays a part in your travel.
High Rate Low Rate for the center elevator position. It shouldn't change regardless of the rate. The stab angle, set by FW 10mm-13mm from the line, sets the level trim based on the CG. Some added more or less because of their CG position.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:51 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxthrottle View Post
High Rate Low Rate for the center elevator position. It shouldn't change regardless of the rate. The stab angle, set by FW 10mm-13mm from the line, sets the level trim based on the CG. Some added more or less because of their CG position.
duh, my bad I misinterpreted the question and mixed it up with travel when I posted 13mm and 8mm. I thought he wanted elevator travel, guess I read too fast. But my center line is indeed 13mm.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:54 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,570 Posts
Looks like this quy has a new SU35 almost lost it again on maiden. Yikes Lucky lucky lucky, on both landing attempts, guess those extremeRC fans extra thrust comes in handy.

Freewing SU-35 Desert Camo Maiden Flight (5 min 0 sec)
Last edited by v8truckin; Dec 11, 2012 at 12:03 AM.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:16 AM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,324 Posts
Windy and trying to glide; yep that's what that looks like. First thing for me is park on the side of the light standards so you're not trying to land a field goal and put my back to the light standard so I'm not flying at them.

With a good wind you can hold throttle up a little but changing gusts the only thing I know for that is a hotter landing.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:55 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
10,641 Posts
He needs more weight..... LOL

Well, I guess one of those 'float ups' was what happened to mine on the fried motor landing that pancaked.....
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:11 AM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
He needs more weight..... LOL.....
Lol! Oh ya a Russian T-90A like Petes would've sliced through that wind like nothing, "what wind? I got this"