HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 24, 2012, 05:17 PM
Australia, NSW, Williamtown RAAF
Joined Aug 2008
2,404 Posts
Just spend a magnificent couple of hours at the field flying the Su-35, DH.100 Vampire and the Sharkplane

Committed all sorts of non-scale takeoff sins, dragging the beast off the grass using TV, zooming, spinning, flip-flopping - just having fun with the jet.

Recommend it to everyone

Cheers,

Dan.
dro56595@bigpo is online now Find More Posts by dro56595@bigpo
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2012, 05:57 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,539 Posts
Good to hear and keep enjoying her.
v8truckin is online now Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:43 PM
Flying Hazard
Spain
Joined May 2006
2,615 Posts
Ok, so, to continue with my series of fatal tragedies today, starting with the Eurofighter crash, it seems I haven't been able to solve the ESC-synchro problem on the Su and furthermore the new BEC I had bought FRIED the second time I conected it. You see, there are some days you better do not exit bed to start with...

Now I feel so helpless and miserable I'd rather shoot me now and end all suffering but instead I'm already searching for solutions (Still depressed though).

I have one no, two big questions, or maybe more...

What ESCs are you using on your Sukhois other than the stock ones and, second, what do you think about using ONLY ONE ESC to power a couple of motors?

What can the troubles be? is there any previous experience in that?
And finally (And I know I'm opening an old wound now) can a couple of ESCs be used -both- providing BEC power to the receiver if they are switching class?
If any one knows something that can help me, please let me know, I'm willing to learn.

Cheers!
Jandro.

PS: Pwease, don't mess up llike me too!
SU-4ever is online now Find More Posts by SU-4ever
Last edited by SU-4ever; Nov 24, 2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:54 PM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
3,938 Posts
Re: one ESC driving multiple motors.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1357604

Caveat emptor
fredmdbud is offline Find More Posts by fredmdbud
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:39 PM
Flying Hazard
Spain
Joined May 2006
2,615 Posts
Thanks for the link!

Hummmm, so it seems by what is being told that under great loads and quick acceleration the whole system can collapse so not good at all, that discards the single ESC option, then back to the dual-ESC, what is the better way to make matching setups?
SU-4ever is online now Find More Posts by SU-4ever
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:21 PM
United States, AR, Jacksonville
Joined Jul 2004
396 Posts
[QUOTE=SU-4ever;23354128]And finally (And I know I'm opening an old wound now) can a couple of ESCs be used -both- providing BEC power to the receiver if they are switching class?QUOTE]

Castle Creations says this should not be done. They SBECs somehow fight each other.

I maidened today with two flights. My two CC Pheonix ICE Lite 50s held up just fine and both motors seemed to be in synch using auto throttle calibration. BTW I disconnected both ESC positive leads and am using a CC BEC.

I need to get back to my minor repairs or I won't be able to fly her again tomorrow.
Whiskey Whiskey is online now Find More Posts by Whiskey Whiskey
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:12 PM
Australia, NSW, Williamtown RAAF
Joined Aug 2008
2,404 Posts
Congrats on the maiden Whiskey2. How did you find her?
dro56595@bigpo is online now Find More Posts by dro56595@bigpo
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:51 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
10,420 Posts
I have mentioned before how to use dual BEC's 'properly' in a system. Very simple and 100% technically sound.
Basically seperate a bunch (half) of the servo's common postives and run them from one BEC, and run the RX and the servos still with their positives on that from the other BEC.
This way the BEC's are not linked at all, they each just feed the set of servos of your chosen 'split'.

The cleanest/easy to connect way to do this is make up a loom for the 'Non RX powered servos, which tap out their positive leads and just pass on the common negatives and signal to the RX.
But the best way is to do all the soldering of wiring with no new connectors, because adding more connectors just makes a clunkier rats nest with more places for things to go wrong (all the extra male/female connectors).
PeterVRC is online now Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:46 AM
United States, FL, Oviedo
Joined Dec 2008
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonH View Post
Banana Hobby has stock 70mm fan for $11.90. Its listed on the parts tab and in stock.

http://www.bananahobby.com/grey-camo...5411-prd1.html

Thanks DamonH .......

I guess I missed that because I was so focused on buying the rotor only......

Don't like spending $24 to get a rotor, but it looks like the only option.

Got me a Hawker 400 while Sukhoi's in maintenance.......

mikecopey is offline Find More Posts by mikecopey
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:48 AM
United States, FL, Hollywood
Joined Aug 2010
1,464 Posts
Another flight vacationing in Southport Park, Orlando.
RC SU-35 Nice Flight 2 (3 min 7 sec)

By the way, seeing the ESC posts, I am still using stock ESC's and my very small RAM AIR scoop and have absolutely no problems. Without the scoop however, I certainly do.
urrl is offline Find More Posts by urrl
Last edited by urrl; Nov 25, 2012 at 07:05 AM.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:03 AM
Live to fly!
United States, NJ, Fair Lawn
Joined Nov 2002
3,077 Posts
Nice flying. And compliments to your cameraman too!
Doc
doc-e is offline Find More Posts by doc-e
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:33 AM
United States, FL, Oviedo
Joined Dec 2008
86 Posts
Hey URRL.....

Still in Orlando ?

Looks like it's going to be a perfect day here.....

We'll be out at ---
http://www.rocketcityfl.com/findus.html
mikecopey is offline Find More Posts by mikecopey
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:51 PM
Joined Jul 2004
396 Posts
I only got one more flight in today, for a total of 3. This is a GREAT flying plane! The only gripe I have is the exagerated leap into the air on takeoff, lol.

After the second flight I found that the left main landing gear assembly had come lose. Additionally, one of the main gear's axel pins was bent. That grounded the plane for the day. Also one of the battery hatch magnets popped loose, the gum factory glue didn't seem to be holding it too well. Possibly that's from the ~45 deg F weather.

Yesterday evening I found that the retract's set screws which go into the brass fittings had no thread lock to speak of. Which is why the oleo had become loose where it secured to the retract. Note to the rest of you, check these set screws for thread lock (the nose gear doesn't use these).

I fabricated a new axle pin using an old bent (lol) 3mm motor shaft that had a groove in it for a C-clip. A few minutes with a rotatry tool is all it took. So far it's held up for the third flight.

I also noticed after the 2nd flight that the opposite main gear's tire is angled outboard for some reason. I removed that retract and disassembled it for some trouble shooting, but could find no damage. Either the fuselage mount is crooked, the retract-to-oleo pin had its flat spots ground off parallel, or the oleo itself is slightly twisted. I accepted the condition as-is and it held through the 3rd flight.

Last to mention, my nose pitot/antenna disappeared in the 3rd flight. It doesn't surprise me as I kept catching it on everything possible.

I'm debating on posting the 2nd and 3rd flight videos, they're pretty weak. The camera turned itself off (yeah right) without recording my maiden.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:14 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
10,420 Posts
I forget, but I don't think they had flats on the oleo retract pins - or if they did they were not perfectly aligned. Dremel new ones, or adjust them. Thus you can get the wheels to be straight, and stay that way (until something bends anyway).

For some silly reason they made the oleos with a slot either side, when it only needs it on one side for the locating pin. This makes it very weak, and it is already sub-par size for the job anyway.
And yes, the axles are also sub-par (as well as the wheel hubs too).
They made almost everything on the Su as close to marginal as they could! LOL
PeterVRC is online now Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:34 PM
Joined Jul 2004
396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
They made almost everything on the Su as close to marginal as they could! LOL
Well said. But it sure does fly well.