HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 03, 2012, 08:18 PM
United States, AR, Jacksonville
Joined Jul 2004
451 Posts
I forgot to add that I removed the heat shrink from the sequencer and could not find any visual evidence of a failure point. Kinda frustrating...

Maybe when power was applied the sequencer pushed that voltage to the retracts and they all fried, causing an overload in the BEC?
Whiskey Whiskey is offline Find More Posts by Whiskey Whiskey
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2012, 08:19 PM
United States, CA, Woodland
Joined Dec 2008
179 Posts
Whiskey Whiskey; HK has their Sequencer in stock, order two last night.
R. Mike Neely is offline Find More Posts by R. Mike Neely
Old Nov 03, 2012, 08:23 PM
Joined Dec 2008
179 Posts
Did you try connecting cc bec to your bird too?????
Old Nov 03, 2012, 08:27 PM
Joined Dec 2008
179 Posts
this is a test
Old Nov 03, 2012, 08:29 PM
Joined Dec 2008
179 Posts
can't believed I did it he! he! he!
Old Nov 03, 2012, 08:30 PM
Life begins at transition
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,593 Posts
Yes they work off a servo tester - I tested all of my servos/retracts one by one before installing the radio gear.

I wonder if the sequencer killed the retracts?
Do you have a servo you're willing to sacrifice? Plug it in to the sequencer, and see what happens.

Or, if you have an oscilloscope...
Odysis is offline Find More Posts by Odysis
Old Nov 03, 2012, 08:37 PM
Joined Jul 2004
451 Posts
I initially used a CC BEC with the whole ESC setup disconnected so I could check all the electronics. The CC BEC popped and smoked immediately.

After some checking for shorts with none found, I hooked up the stock ESC assembly, the nose gear door opened slightly and the elevator servos drifted to full deflection denting the forward area of foam. And smoke... One of the ESC BECs burnt a hole through the heat shrink and into an adjacent servo wire and foam.

Since all that drama I've bought a new CC BEC and am working through customer service to get replacement parts.
Old Nov 03, 2012, 08:40 PM
Joined Jul 2004
451 Posts
Thanks for the confirmation Odysis. I think plugging a servo in will be a guaranteed sacrifice... Oh, and no oscilloscope, just a common multimeter.
Old Nov 03, 2012, 08:52 PM
Joined Dec 2008
179 Posts
I also went to hobby shop today and brought another cc bec, order sequencer from HK and new retracts from Banana hobby. So far only need to replace one elevator servo but out of stock.(no oscilloscope, no multimeter and no knowledge, boo hoo!)
Old Nov 03, 2012, 09:02 PM
Joined Dec 2008
179 Posts
servo to sequencer to receiver no workey. servo to receiver works. retracts to receiver no workey( I can get the little motor to run?)
Old Nov 03, 2012, 09:25 PM
Joined Dec 2008
179 Posts
practising:
Old Nov 03, 2012, 10:02 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,381 Posts
Well if you swapped the black ESC leads that would explain the spark etc. That would have exposed everything to the 6S voltage via the signal wire and coming back with the NiMH battery and the 6S battery up the CC becs signal programming wire would put it over its max V limit. That's a guess in my imagination.

Looking a the pictures you ripped the retracts housing apart so that's toast.
The sequencers are voltage sensitive to begin with, the War Bird guy have had issues. They have no polarity protection so I wouldn't even try to use it at this point.
You likely popped the retract circuit boards as well. You can get the motor spinning but the controlling board is dead.

So have you already ordered replacement parts yet? The Motor pinion on the FW retracts are different than the PZs. So the circuit boards/motor are not a straight swap. PW-RC sells the circuit boards but since one of the retracts are destroyed you may as well order a new set.
Maxthrottle is offline Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2012, 10:04 PM
Life begins at transition
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,593 Posts
wow, that is one destroyed retract!

Does the motor spin? Run in outside the housing, it should run for 4-5seconds, then time out.
If it does, the control board could be OK. If it doesn't move, something in the 'lektrik bits is screwy. funnily enough, I've just spent the morning repairing/modding a pair of these retracts for my Mirage - getting rather familiar with the internals!
Odysis is offline Find More Posts by Odysis
Old Nov 03, 2012, 10:26 PM
Joined Dec 2008
179 Posts
I'm not going to tell you all that I left one little screw in retract housing but pry it apart anyhow knowing it was toast.
Old Nov 04, 2012, 12:06 AM
Australia, NSW, Williamtown RAAF
Joined Aug 2008
2,430 Posts
Salvaged the video file OK. Nothing new here, except the missiles which stayed on and didn't seem to affect the flying qualities.

Cheers,

Dan.

Dans RC Su-35 (5 min 19 sec)
dro56595@bigpo is offline Find More Posts by dro56595@bigpo
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by dro56595@bigpo; Nov 04, 2012 at 01:15 AM.