HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:32 AM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,329 Posts
Dro: try what you are doing already if you want to avoid an entire move.

When I did some smoke tests the air was going somewhere, which I assumed was getting sucked into the motor wire port. That probably changed once I added a thrust tube.

The other approach is go way overkill on a new pair of ESCs with higher rated FETs.

Still once I was done the slots for mine, it simply works all around.
Maxthrottle is offline Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:50 AM
United States, CA, Woodland
Joined Dec 2008
173 Posts
can people who can tell by the sound direct me to a video that has the sound of a edf with balanced fans. ( stock set-up would be nice)
R. Mike Neely is offline Find More Posts by R. Mike Neely
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:31 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Mike Neely View Post
can people who can tell by the sound direct me to a video that has the sound of a edf with balanced fans. ( stock set-up would be nice)
Here's a few of mine stock fans and motors 2300kv with 80a escs.

SU35 Freewing (4 min 21 sec)

V8Truckin's Freewing SU-35 (3 min 56 sec)
v8truckin is online now Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Oct 22, 2012, 01:47 PM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,329 Posts
Fred and Odysis. Another way of looking at it. The original SU-27 to the 35 in form are near identical. It didn't start with FBW but the addition improve flight dynamics to changing conditions.

Models in wind tunnels assume a shape regardless of materials to find aerodynamic character and CG, AC, neutral etc all based on aerodynamics which dictates material distribution. So you move the foam or metal to fit the dynamics.

Your F111 eg is good because it like many aircraft can be unstable or just not statically or dynamically self righting by many means. Its a swing wing. The F-16 or harrier with Anhedral, the F-117 just for having a flat bottom. These all present different types of aerodynamic instability without being under the 20% of AC.

My read up on the 34 and 35 showed fuel shift ability. Pilots in combat may dump fuel or drop ordnance to gain escape maneuverability. But unstable differs from aircraft to aircraft and can be done aerodynamically or by weight shift cg closer to AC and Neutral. Since the model is so close to the Full scale, it assumes much of the same reasons for gear placement about the AC. But because any body can get one the CG is particularly stable.

All I can say is before you cut up the gear and try and move it, do a MAC calc and find out why so many still find the model stable moving the CG back. As I said they made it overly stable nose heavy to the 35% foil.

What you don't want is the slightest bump lifting the nose causing the model to flop back on its tail because the aerodynamic center or center of pressure pushing past the gear placement with the shorter moment before the wing has sufficient speed for lifting the entire system. There's a nice long read on this site but this quick ref pic you can note that we are placing the CG no where close to the wings neutral to get static unstable. But it too has its limits.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 22, 2012, 01:51 PM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,329 Posts
hey V8 I forgot about your early flight vids. The first roll out isn't very long and that was stock.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 22, 2012, 02:05 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,584 Posts
Max,

Lol, Ya me to! After watching that via I noticed the same thing. Looks like it's up in about 25-30 yds.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 02:18 PM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,329 Posts
And here I'm thinking I'm a crazy person with a 60' roll out into a head wind.
It is likely longer for me with no wind but .... I also don't get the pop up unless I held the pitch snap too long.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 22, 2012, 02:24 PM
Australia, NSW, Williamtown RAAF
Joined Aug 2008
2,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxthrottle View Post
Dro: try what you are doing already if you want to avoid an entire move.

When I did some smoke tests the air was going somewhere, which I assumed was getting sucked into the motor wire port. That probably changed once I added a thrust tube.

The other approach is go way overkill on a new pair of ESCs with higher rated FETs.

Still once I was done the slots for mine, it simply works all around.
Hi Max,

Thanks for the feedback. I've just done a quick text and attachment search, but I just can't find your mod description (it's 6AM and I haven't had my coffee yet). I have a pair of 80A ESCs and a UBEC in the twin 90mm MiG-29 that I'm scrapping, but if it comes to that I'll probably put a pair of CS10's in as well

Will have a look at your mod when I can find it.

Cheers.
dro56595@bigpo is offline Find More Posts by dro56595@bigpo
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 22, 2012, 02:58 PM
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Oct 2011
3,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxthrottle View Post
I don't have the current ESCs in the model at this point but I did do a quick blue foam mock up of the HW70HV.
The pictures show the blue foam and in the other picture in the duct the channel across the ESC into the duct.

Grill moved back Pic1 Clear plastic where the ESC grill was. Nice place for an internal cam.

Port duct with ESC Vent visible Pic2 Looking at the top left of the port side duct you can see the opening that allows air flow over the ESCs from the grill into the duct.

Blue foam mock up of ESCs in place Pic3 ESCs fit snug on the roof of the channel still allowing air flow aft down the channel but main air flow is from the grill over the ESCs and into the duct ports. The ESC has cooling fins so the higher air flow will be an advantage.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...l#post22248362

Quote:
Originally Posted by dro56595@bigpo View Post
Hi Max,

Thanks for the feedback. I've just done a quick text and attachment search, but I just can't find your mod description (it's 6AM and I haven't had my coffee yet). I have a pair of 80A ESCs and a UBEC in the twin 90mm MiG-29 that I'm scrapping, but if it comes to that I'll probably put a pair of CS10's in as well

Will have a look at your mod when I can find it.

Cheers.
Here you go.
DamonH is online now Find More Posts by DamonH
Old Oct 22, 2012, 03:09 PM
Australia, NSW, Williamtown RAAF
Joined Aug 2008
2,415 Posts
Thanks!
dro56595@bigpo is offline Find More Posts by dro56595@bigpo
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 22, 2012, 03:55 PM
United States, FL, Hollywood
Joined Aug 2010
1,479 Posts
I noticed free ground shipping for that $89 Banana hobby fuselage.
Not a bad deal if i comes with retracts.
http://www.bananahobby.com/fw-su-gc-...QueryId=243979
urrl is offline Find More Posts by urrl
Old Oct 22, 2012, 04:08 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,584 Posts
Doesn't come with retracts, tail cone, or nose cone. Free shipping! I knew that would happen at some point.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 06:51 PM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
3,969 Posts
Yup ... parts orders $50+ ship for free.
fredmdbud is offline Find More Posts by fredmdbud
Old Oct 22, 2012, 07:27 PM
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
1,974 Posts
Here is a not so good vid of my test flight at Las Vegas Ace event last week. This is my normal takeoff roll and the fan sounds with balanced fans. I was getting lots of power at the lower altitudes than what I'm used to.

I flew my Flanker last Sunday at 2000 ft higher altitude than Vegas. Winds where calm and temps was around 45 deg and crispy... Yuck!. I opened her up and she seemed really sluggish. I managed to rotate and climb out with no problems except for being sluggish. My power just dropped to around 70% or so so thought I had a problem and landed ASAP. Everything ground checked so an hour later took it up again. Temp was now around 55-65 deg and the sun was shining. It flew like a champ with full power. Have any of you guys found the power loss at the colder temps per my description?

AIH 2012 Aces Flanker (1 min 11 sec)
acesimmer is offline Find More Posts by acesimmer
Old Oct 22, 2012, 08:12 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,584 Posts
Deleted: