SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 19, 2012, 09:44 PM
Joined Aug 2012
131 Posts
I know of a better club with a newly paved runway, but the club is full so untill some people drop out (one way or the other) i still want to fly. flying in a safe spot is my first concern. I think the SU-35 is a big jet and could cause some damage if it hit a car or even worse another person.
JTAnimal is offline Find More Posts by JTAnimal
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2012, 09:37 AM
Lori, hey, you're home early
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,130 Posts
Can someone post photos of the landing gear in the retracted position with a ruler beside the gear? I want to order all metal etracts and don't know what length to order. I may just order the etract units and use my own aluminum struts if I already ahve the right size. Just need to work out the sizes.
Thanks,
Mike
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
Old Oct 20, 2012, 03:14 PM
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
2,135 Posts
Wow Max.... How the hell do you get off grass in such a short distance. At 4200 ft I need at least 150. Even last week flying in the Aces event at 2000 ft I still needed about the same? Both are on paved runways!
acesimmer is online now Find More Posts by acesimmer
Old Oct 20, 2012, 03:18 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,844 Posts
I think hes using a different setup. Thinking WeMo fans...could be wrong but if so they have more thrust. I dont even get up in 60ft on pavement.
v8truckin is online now Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Oct 20, 2012, 03:59 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,135 Posts
I see hmmm.... Anyone tried those new aluminum Hobbyking fans yet? And if so how about a report.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 04:03 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,668 Posts
I don't know guys. Time of year means I have more of a head wind along with better than 1:1. Wemo's do accelerate is my observation but our field is only about a foot ball field long and I'm up before I reach half the field. With 10* flappron its actually a little harder to break ground effect, but appears more stable once it breaks free of the grass.
The head winds up here have been a consistent 8-15 knots.
This taking off thing was a bit of an arguement along with flapperons, trim sets etc and I dropped the conversation with the conclusion that there's little point till I posts vids. I'm not experiencing many of the things commented on for more than 10 flights now but I appearently setup andfly differently than everyone else.

It only gets rainier and windier for the rest of the season. The weeks forecast has the lowest winds at 12 knots, 20 gust. And the field is wet so my EDFs are grounded for now or I risk damaging the landing gear or more.
Maxthrottle is online now Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Freewing 90mm F-16C
Old Oct 20, 2012, 04:10 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,844 Posts
Okay well I can see that being up before 50yrds. Im usually up around 40ish yards now. No flapperons. So ya it probably a combo of setup and system.

On another note Max, I fixed my wing dropping to the left. Adjusting the TV nozzles helped. However now its dropping to the right. Guess i gotta mess with the TV nozzels some more, kinda a pain in the butt to get these right. I could tell that my rolls werent as tight as before.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 04:28 PM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,668 Posts
You guys can confirm but I recorded the stock mains at 120mm from the Trunnion pivot to the bottom of the wheel. The main wheels are 65mm.

I was interested in those mag brake wheels but if I understand correctly it'll add almost 200g (72gx2+controller).
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 20, 2012, 04:56 PM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,668 Posts
Ya V8. That goes back to that convo about build up in the TV units. Sand and crude starts scratching the bell walls causing them to move less freely.
Thus I'd flush with water now and then.
That's why I keep looking for replacement sets.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:24 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,135 Posts
I think the grass would bounce you a bit allowing you to gain better lift than us guys on paved runways. This would especially happen with more brute power than my stock setup. I have tried take offs with flaperons, TV switched on and also smaller main wheels to change AOA. Nothing seems to work with much difference even flying in 20 kt head winds down the runway. Did you write up any on the motor/fan specs of your setup. I'm looking to upgrade mine even just for better sound. I also need better units for my composite build that may end up 25% larger all around. I was looking at the HK metal fans and housings but I'm not experienced enough with EDF power systems seeing that all my other models are 3D or large warbirds. Any guidance would be most appreciated.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:25 PM
Australia, NSW, Williamtown RAAF
Joined Aug 2008
2,475 Posts
Maiden flight!!! finally

After months of very little time to play, I finally managed to get out to the field with my new stock PnF Su-35 with 6s 5000mAh 35C batteries.

The field had been beautifully mown AND I had it all to myself on a beautiful morning with a gentle 5kt breeze straight down the strip. Being unable to control a model and use a camera at the same time, sadly there is no video.

First takeoff took around 30m to unstick and I popped it a little trying to get weight off the nose wheel as soon as possible, but she flew away very nicely. A little right trim had her flying level and, after I tucked the gear away she needed a flew clicks of down trim. CG at 150mm was perfect for me. The remainder of the flight consisted of a few passes, gentle rolls, loops and cuban eights, followed by a missed approach then full-stop landing.

The landing was sweet - even if I do say so myself

Second flight saw a smoother takeoff using about 35m this time. Some fast passes from split-S's, a couple of nose-tail tumbles (whatever they're called) and a flat spin or two. She handles beautifully. Just gotta work on those fancy TV skills now

Second landing was a little hotter as I left a dribble of power on to see if that improved things - it didn't, but that may have been more a matter of how I was holding my mouth at the time. Still a good one, but with just a little nose wheel bounce.

One thing of concern - a very noticeable fan modulation sound developed around halfway through both 3 1/2 min flights. Changing the throttle setting only changed the frequency and volume, but the modulation was still there - so I didn't think it was a fan balance problem. Throttling right back to 30% saw it improve after about 10-15 secs, so I'll postulate hot ESC's???

A great model to fly, but I may have to replace some power gear. Just very happy to have it back home without bent undercarriage and all in one piece!

Cheers,

Dan.
dro56595@bigpo is offline Find More Posts by dro56595@bigpo
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by dro56595@bigpo; Oct 20, 2012 at 10:40 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:36 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarreraGTSCS View Post
Can someone post photos of the landing gear in the retracted position with a ruler beside the gear? I want to order all metal etracts and don't know what length to order. I may just order the etract units and use my own aluminum struts if I already ahve the right size. Just need to work out the sizes.
Thanks,
Mike
I would but I don't have the stock mains any longer, im using the euro struts.

Dro5,

Congrats!
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:45 PM
Life begins at transition
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,593 Posts
Good to hear Dan!

I went to maiden mine yesterday too, but the BECs had quit. Thankfully it happened on the ground!

So last night, an external BEC went in. Today I'll give it a second shot.
Odysis is offline Find More Posts by Odysis
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:56 PM
Australia, NSW, Williamtown RAAF
Joined Aug 2008
2,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysis View Post
Good to hear Dan!

I went to maiden mine yesterday too, but the BECs had quit. Thankfully it happened on the ground!

So last night, an external BEC went in. Today I'll give it a second shot.
Good luck! Mine was very smooth airborne. Made me look better than I am
dro56595@bigpo is offline Find More Posts by dro56595@bigpo
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 20, 2012, 09:25 PM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,668 Posts
Ace I was fully expecting the same kind of roll out as the Euro which on the same field uses 2/3 to almost the entire field to get it off the ground. Having said that, the Euro's roll out has been shorter to just after half the field; still a Wemo/ARC 3655.2 but in the factory housing so lighter.

I went from CG 155mm to 160mm on the SU-35 and was more surprised especially with the conversations about the difficulties and previous experience with the Euro. May be I'll go remeasure the field to confirm what I think the roll out distance is.

Something else I haven't been able to explain from the conversations is I pulled the nose mount and re glued it. It looks to be seated same place. The Trunnions were changed out to metal ones but are the same height. When I place the model level, the TE of the wing sits 5mm lower than the LE. And the LE of the LERX is even higher. Meaning, static the AR is already positive.

In any case Wemo 2W25. Sound wasn't a priority. I kept it light using the old nylon plastic housing so it puts out more thrust/efflux while being just slightly heavier than factory. I have no idea what factory may do with a thrust tube but it works with Wemo squeezed to 57mm.

Either way its been working great. Just haven't gone nuts with it yet. Have really been working on how slow I can actually go with the flapperons which is hard in changing winds.
RCG Plus Member