Old Oct 18, 2012, 12:33 AM
Wats the worst that can happen
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jan 2009
542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonH View Post
Do you have a link? Thanks
i searched for you. don't say i never do anything for ya.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...h_5A_Plus.html

here's another possibility:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_System.html
TheCure is online now Find More Posts by TheCure
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Mods to My RC Electronics
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2012, 07:54 AM
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Oct 2011
3,649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCure View Post
i searched for you. don't say i never do anything for ya.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...h_5A_Plus.html

here's another possibility:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_System.html
LOL...Thanks!
DamonH is online now Find More Posts by DamonH
Old Oct 18, 2012, 11:53 AM
Joined Aug 2012
131 Posts
My fly club is grass, it was never a probles as i just flew heli's but i love this SU-35 and i want to fly it out at the club but i have never been able to get it in the air out there. last night i took my mower out and cut a takeoff strip as short as the mower would go and I still could not get it in the air. what am i doing wrong? I have the stock motors but i do have upgraded esc's and servos. i was using TV for take off, the other problem yesterday was there was no wind at all, Dead Calm, that did not help. i swapped out the landing gear to the Euro Fighter gear but used the SU-35 wheels. I know it can be done I have seen several vids.
JTAnimal is offline Find More Posts by JTAnimal
Old Oct 18, 2012, 01:13 PM
Joined Oct 2011
3,649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTAnimal View Post
My fly club is grass, it was never a probles as i just flew heli's but i love this SU-35 and i want to fly it out at the club but i have never been able to get it in the air out there. last night i took my mower out and cut a takeoff strip as short as the mower would go and I still could not get it in the air. what am i doing wrong? I have the stock motors but i do have upgraded esc's and servos. i was using TV for take off, the other problem yesterday was there was no wind at all, Dead Calm, that did not help. i swapped out the landing gear to the Euro Fighter gear but used the SU-35 wheels. I know it can be done I have seen several vids.
What is your AOA like? I know I added a 6-8mm spacer under nose gear to improve the AOA and decrease rollout distance.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 02:44 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,844 Posts
Jt,

Correct adding a spacer of some sort between the retract mount and retract will increase your AoA, just like Damon stated. When I did this way back in the "old'n days" of this thread I believe 8mm was the max you could go w/o the wheels interfering with the nose gear doors. I also believe SU increased his nose height also to fly off of grass, I think...
v8truckin is offline Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Oct 18, 2012, 04:21 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,679 Posts
What 4500 posts and we're back to where we started . Raising the nose can help but give a run down of what else is going on with the model.
Where's the CG, AUW, the wheels aren't cambering or casting and spin freely, are you giving some run up before you engage pitch, what kind of thrust are you getting and what battery etc.

I ask because I've been flying off grass with it on the heavy 3.3kg and she's ROG at 60ft without flaps.
Maxthrottle is online now Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Freewing 90mm F-16C
Old Oct 18, 2012, 04:35 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,844 Posts
You finally flying her Max? When this happen? 3.3kg, sound like she's got some thighs on her like mine.
v8truckin is offline Find More Posts by v8truckin
Last edited by v8truckin; Oct 18, 2012 at 05:00 PM.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 04:45 PM
Joined Oct 2011
3,649 Posts
I ask because I've been flying off grass with it on the heavy 3.3kg and she's ROG at 60ft without flaps.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, how did that happen? No flight report, no maiden video? Some of us have followed this thread for months waiting for the day yours flew and here it happened and we didn't even know...how rude...lol.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 06:41 PM
Joined Aug 2012
131 Posts
No i have the front retract mounted flush but i put the rear wheels from the Euro Fighter on the front landing gear. that adds about 4.5mm to the AOA. i guess i could add some shim. it just does not seem like i'm getting the rollout speed to take off. I'm going to the park where i have been flying (hard compacted dirt) to do some testing so i will try and add some shims under the servo for the front and see if it gets off the ground quicker out there. i dont like flying on dirt, i get chips in the blades and i just put a new set on. spent a long time balancing
Old Oct 18, 2012, 07:14 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,679 Posts
I mentioned it like a month ago. I've been up a number of times but its a bad time of the year up here to start with an EDF.
Winds have been picking up on most of the days that I've had off. I take the SBACH out more cause it can handle the wind.

Because I fly first thing in the AM no ones around.
Maxthrottle is online now Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Freewing 90mm F-16C
Old Oct 18, 2012, 07:33 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,763 Posts
Gee... I wouldn't head to dirt with an EDF. That is asking for trouble. Even though you 'need' the lower friction.
From a mown football oval mine took... hmmm.... 150 feet or so to get airborne!! With TV.
So they can struggle from grass. The small nose-wheel(s) seem to be a major input to that problem - they give huge drag as they can't 'roll over' anything and have to cut through the grass instead.
But all you can do is WOT and pray!! LOL
Or... find a road....
PeterVRC is online now Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:13 PM
Joined Aug 2012
131 Posts
Thanks Peter, the dirt is not as bad as it sounds it's very compacted and graded flat. It was graded for a grass field. but i guess they ran out of funds. anyway yes it's bad and it does take out the blades. that's why i want to fly at our club, the other reason is its safer at the club. maybe i need to give it mot runout, i will keep trying.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 04:21 AM
Australia, NSW, Williamtown RAAF
Joined Aug 2008
2,475 Posts
Guys,

Just put a watt meter on my stock setup in prep for the maiden this weekend.

Does 2250W (90A at 25v) initially WOT sound about right?

Thanks,

Dan.
dro56595@bigpo is offline Find More Posts by dro56595@bigpo
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 19, 2012, 05:19 AM
United States, FL, Hollywood
Joined Aug 2010
1,563 Posts
Reading these posts it makes me feel very fortunate to have access to a "real" runway. When first starting out I tried taking off in parking lots and small park football/soccer fields with the tall floodlight poles; not practical at all, then I asked around and someone told me of a place behind a college in my area next to an airport. I flew helis and small 64mm jets and planes there as it had a straight asphalt road (but not long enough for the SU-35 IMO) till I learned about the dedicated flying field at Markham park where I fly today. Perhaps some of you are unaware of a more practical area near you.
urrl is offline Find More Posts by urrl
Old Oct 19, 2012, 06:43 AM
Joined Jun 2012
442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by urrl View Post
Reading these posts it makes me feel very fortunate to have access to a "real" runway. When first starting out I tried taking off in parking lots and small park football/soccer fields with the tall floodlight poles; not practical at all, then I asked around and someone told me of a place behind a college in my area next to an airport. I flew helis and small 64mm jets and planes there as it had a straight asphalt road (but not long enough for the SU-35 IMO) till I learned about the dedicated flying field at Markham park where I fly today. Perhaps some of you are unaware of a more practical area near you.
If your talking about Markham park in Broward. That is one of the nicest places to fly. I used to fly there back in 1999-2000 when I lived in broward, but not many people have nice runways like that. I dont live in FL any more and I now fly from a closed 2 lane road with many many palm trees and poles, but after a while you get used to it.
PAPE is offline Find More Posts by PAPE