HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 06, 2012, 06:43 PM
Flying Hazard
Spain
Joined May 2006
3,051 Posts
If you don't look for 3D there is no need to remove landing gear,

BTW, already done repairing the nose, hopefully will re-maiden it tomorrow.

If everything goes fine I may consider sanding and repainting everything again!

Wanted to have my patch ready but printer ain't working, so that'll have to wait...

Cheers!
Jandro.
SU-4ever is offline Find More Posts by SU-4ever
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2012, 10:42 PM
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Oct 2011
3,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
Hmmm, must be fun getting the brakes to do a truly "even" job of it!!
Steering could offset it, as long as it wasn't too uneven braking pressure.
Do they 'calibrate' them against each other? (left and right main brakes)
I think I would just use it on nose gear then you wouldnt have to worry about it being uneven.
DamonH is online now Find More Posts by DamonH
Old Oct 06, 2012, 11:19 PM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
4,141 Posts
Nosegear-only is the worst option, an open invitation to topple and/or wing scrape.
fredmdbud is online now Find More Posts by fredmdbud
Old Oct 06, 2012, 11:53 PM
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Oct 2011
3,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredmdbud View Post
Nosegear-only is the worst option, an open invitation to topple and/or wing scrape.
Not sure I agree with that statement. It's not like these things are made to stop on a dime and I would taxi test first to see how the plane reacted. More times than not I would only use as a last resort on a hot landing when I was about to run off the end of the runway. For instance, last weekend flying my habu it was a little windy and had a hotter than usual landing and ran off runway by a few feet. Even though I wasn't going very fast it still almost ripped off one of the mains. A little braking action may have prevented that repair. Heck, I've seen people turn at the end of the runway to avoid going off and wing scrape or tip over. I could see it being an issue on something like an F-16 with narrow gear though.
DamonH is online now Find More Posts by DamonH
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:20 AM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
4,141 Posts
Think of a bicycle with brakes on the front wheel only.

If you have a brake on the nosegear only, plane had better be longitudinally balanced, because the heavier side would be the side it would tilt on. And during braking, the wheel would need to be dead-on straight and not deflect, unless you want the plane to do a skidding spin lol
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:08 AM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,720 Posts
Well seeing that we aren't even sure who has them, the mains in the demo are 40mm. A little big for the SUs nose gear. I wouldn't put it on the nose not only because the nose carries less top down weight obviously reducing the braking effectiveness, but tricycles tip.

Landing gear wheels are about 10deg aft of CG so most of the weight is ahead of the braking. Like throwing two anchors behind you rather than throwing the anchor in front of the front wheel.

Uneven braking may become a concern if they ware uneven but at least it wasn't visible in the vid. Even with a little differential you're still steering if it starts to go off track.
Mind you depending on how they are controlled it would be nice to mix them with rudder control so that they can assist with differential braking like the real ones. I mention that because looking at the controller it has 4 separate pin sets. So not sure other than the mains why they have two extra connections.
Maxthrottle is online now Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Maxthrottle; Oct 07, 2012 at 01:15 AM.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 02:51 AM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
4,141 Posts
The setup appears to be an induced-magnet disc braking mechanism. I'm guessing that the "signal input" if brake on/off, the "mains input" is DC power. From the input requirements, looks like this would not be powered by the RX or BEC. Looks like the connector has four pins because each of the mains has a two-conductor connector - they plug in side-by-side.
Last edited by fredmdbud; Oct 07, 2012 at 02:58 AM.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 03:01 AM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
4,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by "TIMBITS" View Post
Hi guys; I'll see what anyone of you think about my idea for this plane. Haven't finished all of the thread but I'm at it. I'm sure many of you on here considered the Sebart Mig comparing to this one for best choice but I gotta say this jet seems to be way out in front when it comes down to performance and looks.
I'm looking for a "hand launcher" and I guess that is what drew me to the other plane in the beginning. Now that I see you guys enjoying yours, I'm hooked !!!!
What do you think about ditching the gear and extra servos to hopefully gain lots of thrust for vertical launches by one person ??? Can this jet get into flight "my way" without vectoring thrust ??? I'm not looking for 3D flight; just a conventional great looking and flying SU-35. Appreciate any info and I know I'm not the only one who has considered "chucking" this EDF. Thanks
Self-launching this plane seems kind of dicey. Here's a video where a helper hand-launches for the pilot. Note that it's not a "toss", more like an underhanded push:

SU-35 Hand Launch (1 min 24 sec)

In this video, there's a landing at the end. Don't know about you, but the nose looks to get uncomfortably close to digging into the ground when it touches down:

SU35 Hand Launch (2 min 12 sec)
Last edited by fredmdbud; Oct 07, 2012 at 03:07 AM.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:03 AM
Nova Scotia, Canada
Joined Jun 2006
244 Posts
Thanks "Fred"; watched and noted - I had seen those ones before actually . Do you suppose they used VT on the hand launches ???
"TIMBITS" is offline Find More Posts by "TIMBITS"
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:26 AM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,720 Posts
You're right there fred. Was hoping for 4 rows of 3 but ya likely no differencial control unless you got two controllers externally mixed.

Hopefully they come either in a variaty of dia or allow you to slide on various hubs over the brakes.
Quote:
The setup appears to be an induced-magnet disc braking mechanism. I'm guessing that the "signal input" if brake on/off, the "mains input" is DC power. From the input requirements, looks like this would not be powered by the RX or BEC. Looks like the connector has four pins because each of the mains has a two-conductor connector - they plug in side-by-side.

Likely why the nose is all black taped up. Good landing though! Not sure if the duct could withstand a number of those unless hardened.
Quote:
... Don't know about you, but the nose looks to get uncomfortably close to digging into the ground when it touches down
Maxthrottle is online now Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Maxthrottle; Oct 07, 2012 at 02:31 PM.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:35 AM
Flying Hazard
Spain
Joined May 2006
3,051 Posts
They most likely used VT, since that what gives you the ability to maneuver at low speeds
Old Oct 07, 2012, 03:56 PM
Munich
Joined Dec 2008
1,177 Posts
Hand launch

Hi there,
Quote:
Self-launching this plane seems kind of dicey.
I hand-launch it all the time, without a helper. Just stretch your hand high over your head, give full power and really _throw_ it hard, with the nose pointing about 15 degrees up.

It is not as easy as e.g. with the SebArt MiG, which has a much better power-to-weight ratio. But it is still straightforward, IMHO.

Cheers,
Henrik
hklagges is offline Find More Posts by hklagges
Old Oct 07, 2012, 05:16 PM
Lori, hey, you're home early
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,130 Posts
How does it hold up to belly landing on grass?
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
Old Oct 08, 2012, 02:58 AM
Munich
Joined Dec 2008
1,177 Posts
Belly landing and the ducts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarreraGTSCS View Post
How does it hold up to belly landing on grass?
It works, but not sooo well. Even if you build skids, as I did by cutting Eurofighter drop tanks in half and glueing them to the inlet ducts. The ducts develop cracks over time.

The transparent skids that come with the SebArt MiG would be good, at least I use them on a Lanxiang MiG-29 with good success. But apparently they cannot be bought as a spare part. You first have to crash a SebArt to get a pair...

Cheers,
Henrik
hklagges is offline Find More Posts by hklagges
Old Oct 08, 2012, 06:34 AM
Flying Hazard
Spain
Joined May 2006
3,051 Posts
Re-maidened my Nose-broken Su, yesterday.

So, it flies again!
Now I need to work out the ESC syncro issue.

And you know what?

When I was disassembling the wings after landing I grabed the plane by the wing I had already unscrewed and it fell straight to the floor, breaking the other's wing wingtip... yeah, I felt so dumb I didn't stop yelling for 2 minutes or so.

So, spend 24h + on a thorough repair work and then just toss your airplane into the ground, that's so cunning!

I want to kill myself.