HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:35 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,766 Posts
I guess, like motors etc, it all comes down to Watts really. So their quoted Amp capability is probably just up to 6S... even though that is a bit of a rip-off, false advertising then. At least on the label - maybe they have it in their fine print somewhere. LOL.

35V.... 7S is 25.9V, so that is a lot of leeway really. (4.2V per cell is only unloaded).

As for quality of components, they are likely to be marginal - but I think the bigger issue in cheap stuff is the quality of ASSEMBLY... soldering... heatsink contact... etc. So you either gamble on them as they come, or open them to make sure it is all done well. Those little old asian women don't quite solder properly.... and don't get component heights equal.... hehe.

That 70A on 6S FET failure was more likely a poor/dry solder joint there, or maybe a random failure of the FET itself (either case causing much higher current in the leg/area) - possibly that FET not contacting the heatsink well, or properly at all. That heatsink contact issue seems a common occurence/failure cause.
I guess I should open mine up and check them...... rather than smoke/destroy a plane!!
PeterVRC is online now Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:48 AM
Lori, hey, you're home early
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonH View Post
4s in stock form? Where did you get it? What motors/esc's are in it? I've never heard of stock being 4s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
Carrera... in stock motor/fan form it uses 6S. Your 6S 5000mAH batteries are fine for it.

Or..... Maybe it is the Non-3D version !!
I think that was 4S. And I have never heard of anyone even ever getting one of those.
My mistake. I went back and reread the specs. Temporary brain processing malfunction! I have an old SAPAC Gripen that makes around 1100w (IIRC) with an HET 2w-25 on 6s. Not at all fast but powerful and nice to fly. Really looking forward to this model. Not looking forward to setting up the mixes. I have two transmitters to pic from for it: Multiplex Royal EVO9 on 2.4 or JR 9303 on 2.4.
Thanks,
Mike
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
Old Sep 21, 2012, 07:45 AM
Joined Sep 2012
1 Posts
Hi guys

First up sorry if this question has been posted many times.... This thread is massive!!

Done a bit of research and quite keen to get this beast! Question I have is: do I have enough channels with a dx7 and an ar7000. I realize I would have basic control but can I utilize the VT?

Thank in advance and I will keen reading though this forum.
Heliaction is offline Find More Posts by Heliaction
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:40 AM
You win again gravity!
UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxthrottle View Post
The Full scale design is using titanium etc which is both strong and thin. Doing the same with soft foam, Myfliights' came out with the same result as I the first try; a step where the two surfaces meet. Its not clean and over time I found the foam being an active moving structure wares down if it wasn't hardened in some manor. A layer of hardening and you get even more of a bump mismatch at the seam. When I glassed it again it was very hard to get a clean straight edge on both the flap and the wing.
Nichrome causes the thin foam flap to curl on the edge even while turning down the voltage. Recessed it doesn't have the same effect. It was straight and clean I guess because the entire wing structure still supports it.

My application appears unique as a LE but is already in use as a TE control surface. You see it on bottom hinged Ailerons and flaps. Russia could use it on the T-50 to stow a larger KBan array though; which is how its structured in the LERX.

It just can't be used on the SU-35 in this current design.

I send stuff to Freewing and they very seldom ever answer. Got to work on my Mandarin I guess. Them redoing molds is not likely like that little tab on the Euro wing that confused a few. But they do listen. I just hope they can insert some of this stuff on the next what ever, twin 70 T-50, single 90 J20 etc.

Hey Max, nice LE device idea! If it is what you thought of patenting though don't bother, it's been done. Take a look at the inboard wing of an Airbus a380......it's called a DND (droop nose device).
SMorrisRC is offline Find More Posts by SMorrisRC
Old Sep 21, 2012, 03:13 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMorrisRC View Post
Hey Max, nice LE device idea! If it is what you thought of patenting though don't bother, it's been done. Take a look at the inboard wing of an Airbus a380......it's called a DND (droop nose device).
DnDs have been done a number of different ways so ya that's not what made it unique. Most are either top hinged or a thin exterior looking close to a slat which is why I figure most call them that. It was more so the construct and how its to be deployed especially making it easier to cut from foam and to be more durable for model use. But like I said the method is already regularly used for TE surfaces. The bottom hinge ailerons that I've seen probably imprinted in my head ... and years later using it for a LE device I thought Eureka.... oh the designs actual been done before, so still no made scientist status yet
But hey its nice to here you using its specific name rather than Slat.
Maxthrottle is offline Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Freewing 90mm F-16C
Old Sep 21, 2012, 06:23 PM
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
2,135 Posts
Looking at the Slat/Droop or whatever its called. I have my flanker in front of me and think that Max's idea is very doable. My approach would be to cut out the appropriate depth of LEX/flap

Then I would profile the LEX piece to suit Max's design using thick balsa wood. I would have to account for wing taper (not easy) Once this is done I would wrap the whole flap section in 2 oz cloth and epoxy resin. Sand to a perfect finish and prime with 2k primer then buff to a mirror finish. Wax PVA and make a mold. Once you have the left and right flap mold you can then make the wing female plug from this. Repeat the molding steps and now you have a perfectly mated male and female flap section. The female portion would be attached to the wing leading edge after removing the appropriate amount of foam. Now you have a fabulous scale and functional set of Slat,LEX, Droops or whatever. For servo fit I would find a spot just before or beyond the spar and connect accordingly.

If anyone is interested in this concept and have a set of old wings from a crashed model to donate I would be willing to make the molds. Once I get back from the Ace in hole event in Vegas I would have the time. Until then I'm flat out finishing the molds for a scale warbird.
acesimmer is offline Find More Posts by acesimmer
Last edited by acesimmer; Sep 21, 2012 at 06:30 PM.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:06 PM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesimmer View Post
....Slat,LEX, Droops or whatever. For servo fit I would find a spot just before or beyond the spar and connect accordingly.....
Well the reason why I said you'd have to go with the way MyFliight did is even the bottom hinge line goes across the forward wing block lock tab. And if following scale, part of the fuse is supposed to also be a part of the LE flap. So my design for this model, the way they placed these items in the wing obstructs going even further into the wing and ends up being extra work. You'd have to remove that block to make the cut. Thus I applaud Myfliight for pursuing it but really wish FW designed the removable wing a little differently.

Then again I may be taking for granted that you are actually talking about making your own completely different kind wing in which case ya its surprisingly easy to fabricate the perfect curved line evenly with the wings tapers.

Regarding terminology, I've been in discussions where I've gone along with one groups misuse of a term like elevon where they were actually discussing tailerons and then got flamed by a different engineer because the mis used term took him down an incorrect path. FWIW here a sample of the various flap designations. LEX and LERX are more the general area but does not necessarily tells what the device type is or its function.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 21, 2012, 10:53 PM
Throttle Bender
Joined Jun 2008
1,343 Posts
The pic of the Gurney flap is upside down.
merlinfan is offline Find More Posts by merlinfan
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:10 PM
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
2,135 Posts
Max.. I was looking at a full size #102 Flanker LEX and it was more outboard than inboard has You described? Do they possibly have two that deploy differently for manuevers? When I build my composite version I will definitely take what you have said into account and change the wing design to suit. I will have to look deeply at the design to get accurate info to build with. So far I have not had the time to do the research so using the foamie for reference.

I think that the LEX and air brake are a must for my composite version. However, I think that I will leave the gear as is to make it simpler. So far my other projects are coming out around 10% heavier than the foam originals. But mine include all the scale rivets, screws and true butt and over lapping panels with hatches etc. So not a bad trade off.
acesimmer is offline Find More Posts by acesimmer
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:47 PM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesimmer View Post
... Do they possibly have two that deploy differently for manuevers? ....
They have only 1 LEX per wing, the LE droop flap. The cheat they did when they removed the Canards was they enlarged LE flap so it overlaps into the LERX area but is one entire actuated unit.
There active from take off to low transonic from what I've been told. They move less with speed but for our models its better to deactivate them if doing fast passes with hard pulls. Otherwise it bleeds speed quicker in the pull which for slow manuevering can be useful.
The T-50 or canard versions were the only ones that had a separate flow control device. The T50s LERX is being greatly debated in other Forums as being advantageous as an active canard pitch device for exaggerated RC 3D but they are really only to help flow at the root or trim so they shut down as the aircraft goes into the transonic. The LE flaps continue until it gets into the higher transonic. Or at least thats what my Russian relatives tell me.
On many of the SU27 variants the LERX canards were tied into pilot pitch input auto actuating the LE flaps followed by the Canards moving the max deflection. If the FCS is active however, it takes over based on air flow.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:50 PM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinfan View Post
The pic of the Gurney flap is upside down.
Not sure if you're kidding or not but they can be on the top or bottom. Depends more on design intention.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:15 AM
Life begins at transition
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,593 Posts
I think it was a reference to Gurney being a racer, hence wanting downforce.
They should go on the 'pressure' side.

I do know of (and fly) at least one example where it's on the suction side though. God knows why...
Odysis is offline Find More Posts by Odysis
Old Sep 22, 2012, 09:48 AM
Houston. .we have a problem.
United Kingdom, England
Joined Aug 2008
1,007 Posts
Maybe because you're in Australia, and everything's upside down?

Sorry, couldn't resist.
FOX ONE! is offline Find More Posts by FOX ONE!
Old Sep 23, 2012, 08:38 AM
Lori, hey, you're home early
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,130 Posts
Does anyone have a taileron (left side) from a damaged or crashed airframe they'd like to sell?

Thanks,
Mike
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:59 PM
Some Girls r Bigger thn Others
USA, UT, Cedar Hills
Joined Jun 2010
1,413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliaction View Post
Hi guys

First up sorry if this question has been posted many times.... This thread is massive!!

Done a bit of research and quite keen to get this beast! Question I have is: do I have enough channels with a dx7 and an ar7000. I realize I would have basic control but can I utilize the VT?

Thank in advance and I will keen reading though this forum.
Yes, you can, but you'll have to Y the rudders and then have the the TV on separate channels and mixed with Rudder and Elevator
swps is offline Find More Posts by swps