HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 13, 2012, 07:01 PM
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
1,965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
Crashed my SU35 also yesterday Jandro, waiting for video to upload. Crashed it due to loss of orientation on takeoff as my Zippy battery wasnt giving the motors the sound they should have , after flying it for so long already believe me you can tell. So once airborne she didnt gain the altitude she typically does and she leveled out going off into the distance as i tried to keep her up and in the air. So i tried to bring her back however I put my wing cam on the right wing side (i normally put it on the left side), because I already had the plane trimmed out for the wing cam to be on the left side she didnt responed too good...Dumb!!!Dumb Mistake. You learn! I finally gave up and let her go down by pulling back on the throttle and hoped for the best as it was better than a full throttle crash. I walked done to crash site cursing and F'n myself for that wing cam mistake, HOWEVER only the nose broke again!!! Yippy! No major damage and I already fixed her up. She actually looks better than the last fix. Ill post picks and the vid once its done uploading. Video looks worse than it was! After you see the vid Jandro youll understand. I was shocked at the lil damage.
I would have thought that you would add a counter balance weight to the opposite wing instead of trim? Even with trim setup your trim would not hold true throughout a normal flight envelope with variable speed and lift.

I'm trying a cam this week for the first time on my Sbach. Then I'll place two on the Flanker. One facing forward and the other backwards.
acesimmer is offline Find More Posts by acesimmer
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2012, 07:05 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,564 Posts
Ace personally after my 2nd crash I dont think the nose needs to reinfoced anymore. If i would have reinforced it like others said it wouldve be worse. Once you see the vid youll think how did more damage not occur. The nose just needs to break away on a front end crash plain and simple.
v8truckin is offline Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Sep 13, 2012, 07:06 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesimmer View Post
I would have thought that you would add a counter balance weight to the opposite wing instead of trim? Even with trim setup your trim would not hold true throughout a normal flight envelope with variable speed and lift.

I'm trying a cam this week for the first time on my Sbach. Then I'll place two on the Flanker. One facing forward and the other backwards.
I did but the counter balance isnt equal to the weight of the cam. Because of that the extra trim to the opposite side of my normal cam side was still over trimmed for level flight once the cam was put on that side/wrong side.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 07:56 PM
Flying Hazard
Spain
Joined May 2006
2,668 Posts
Wow, this is starting to smell of dumbass competition!

Sorry that you had two accidents so close, well at last you get practice with the repairs...

Experience here, if we're to learn something, tells that we can be always flying good in our contolled-environment, then change just a little thing which will trigger the crash. A lack of discipline and a sudden panick reaction are our worse enemies.

I guess that must often be the same for real aviation tragedies.
SU-4ever is online now Find More Posts by SU-4ever
Old Sep 13, 2012, 09:12 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,564 Posts
Just got back from flyin her again and its like nothing ever happened. Wont ever make that mistake again! So like i said the crash looks worse than it was and i believe that if i wouldve reinforced the nose area after my 1st repair the damage would've been worse as the nose are snapped just south of where my previous repair was. Repairs look better than the 1st time and like Jandro said, Im getting practice! lmao! Hopefully i wont have to use it again. Oh ya didnt get post crash pics, but heres the photos after the repair & video. After the crash happened (1:06 mark) the rest of the vid is just me looking for the plane then the cam.

SU35 Crash 2.AVI (13 min 15 sec)
Last edited by v8truckin; Sep 13, 2012 at 09:57 PM.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 09:54 PM
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Nov 2010
565 Posts
hmm this looks familiar,,,
Wargassm is offline Find More Posts by Wargassm
Old Sep 14, 2012, 02:41 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Dec 2009
1,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SU-4ever View Post
Well...

Now it's for true, I've crashed the Su on the 40th flight .

Same result as V8 and some others before, nose snaped and torn to pieces but the rest of the aircraft is in good state...

After changing everything I messed up in the dumbest of things!

It was an exhibition day and I had the plane ready when a helicopter pilot went ahead of me so I switched off and wait for my turn. When I plugged again I failed to initiate the sequencer because of the nerves and found out in mid-flight after trimming.

Then I started to get obsessed with starting back the device in-flight and completely forgot about flying so I did a bad turn and halted the plane in an involuntary inverted high alpha which I hadn't ever practiced. It lacked the power to recover with a pull up maneuver and the whole thing stalled and went (Very quickly, to my despair ) spiraling towards the ground.

So you see, 39 successful flights training for the show, I arrive and the first thing I do is forget everything and crash it straight away at the begining. Now excuse me, I want to kill myself, give me a second and I'm back.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeek!

Nice thing is the rest of the day went pretty fine and I also maidened my L-39 successfully, but am still ashamed of everything.

Cheers again,
Jandro.
No worries Jandro, welcome to the broken nose club. It's not a real SU35 fighter until that nose has been broken and repaired, right V8?
tmsn is offline Find More Posts by tmsn
Old Sep 14, 2012, 05:41 AM
Joined Sep 2012
5 Posts
Iv seen alot of the EDFs use the elevator together with ailerons for steering and also the ailerons with elevators for up n down. How do i program this into my DX8?
Im using Thrustvectoring programs on 3 different mixes on aux1-3, rudder is not y wired.
Thanks =)
RcSweden is offline Find More Posts by RcSweden
Old Sep 14, 2012, 08:28 AM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcSweden View Post
Iv seen alot of the EDFs use the elevator together with ailerons for steering and also the ailerons with elevators for up n down. How do i program this into my DX8?
Im using Thrustvectoring programs on 3 different mixes on aux1-3, rudder is not y wired.
Thanks =)
You have to run separate wires for what you're asking. You can't exactly do it with 8 channels. 4 channels would be Ail/Flp and Tailerons, 2 thrust and gear, leaving 1 rudder and 1 axis on the TV. Or skip flapperons 1 Ailerons, 2 for tailerons and 2 for TV. Rudder would have to Y on Y on Y the Steering, TV and Rudders to be always on.

RCSweden; I got to ask....how long have you been flying. You can see that even oh top ACE pilots are crashing this, while you're asking very basic radio setup questions.
I hope you're not complicating or making it overly challenging to your experience.
Maxthrottle is offline Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 14, 2012, 09:01 AM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsn View Post
No worries Jandro, welcome to the broken nose club. It's not a real SU35 fighter until that nose has been broken and repaired, right V8?
lol! You got that right Tsmn! After the last 2 crashes, who needs weathering detailing when you can beat em up yourself...
Old Sep 14, 2012, 09:52 AM
Flying Hazard
Spain
Joined May 2006
2,668 Posts
So now I'm a broken nose comunity associate...

Damn yeah!
SU-4ever is online now Find More Posts by SU-4ever
Old Sep 14, 2012, 10:01 AM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,314 Posts
Nothing personal guys but, I don't won't to join your club
"ACE", come back with a Comp body for around the same price as the foam fuse.
Questions though... did you look into copy rights. The moment you start selling a shell sub of someone elses model, who may have already purchased rights from Sukhoi, you may have them knocking at your door if you are doing it for profit.

My guess is once your comp nears being as light as the factory foam, it will still break just the same the way that these are getting busted. The damage might be less visible and repair may be easier since glass can be neater to patch. As long as there's not a huge weight gain. So like we said fuse not nose overlay.

You got my interest with the thin glass two part foam in lay. I asked which two part foam but you didn't reply. Any progress in the materials combinations.
Maxthrottle is offline Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 14, 2012, 02:13 PM
Joined Sep 2012
5 Posts
Thanks for the info MaxTh. Pretty new to the game, the SU35 works like a charm now, just wanted to tweak a lil. Have a new Mig29 from Bananahobby coming next week, what iv seen i think the SU35 is a lil more quality for the bucks, agree?
RcSweden is offline Find More Posts by RcSweden
Old Sep 14, 2012, 04:25 PM
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
1,965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxthrottle View Post
Nothing personal guys but, I don't won't to join your club
"ACE", come back with a Comp body for around the same price as the foam fuse.
Questions though... did you look into copy rights. The moment you start selling a shell sub of someone elses model, who may have already purchased rights from Sukhoi, you may have them knocking at your door if you are doing it for profit.

------- No I did not and have no plans to either.

My guess is once your comp nears being as light as the factory foam, it will still break just the same the way that these are getting busted. The damage might be less visible and repair may be easier since glass can be neater to patch. As long as there's not a huge weight gain. So like we said fuse not nose overlay.

------- Weight may be 10% more

You got my interest with the thin glass two part foam in lay. I asked which two part foam but you didn't reply. Any progress in the materials combinations.
------ Sorry I've been busy building molds and finishing plugs. I've been using two types from http://www.reynoldsam.com/Rigid-and-...c10/index.html

I've used foamit 5 on the thinner skins which are 0.75oz cloth and foam it 3 on the 5 oz cloth. The five is amazingly stiff and hard and great for tooling. In fact this week I repaired a friends Sensei which had been crashed so much that nothing was left of the nose section and he was about to scrap it out. So I suggested we do an experiment. I made a dam around the frontal area and pored in the foam it 5. Fifteen minutes later I removed the dam and rasped the shape of the nose then a quick sanding and it was totally replaced and ready for the new ply firewall. Total time 30 - 40 minutes.

Note with the above foams. They work best when retained in the mold so they can expand denser. A few small breathing holes is all you need to vent the mold. Hope this helps.

It would be interesting to test the compatibility with the flanker foam. If okay one could fill the cavity fuselage at the front for a lot of added strength?
acesimmer is offline Find More Posts by acesimmer
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:47 PM
Joined Aug 2012
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
Ace personally after my 2nd crash I dont think the nose needs to reinfoced anymore. If i would have reinforced it like others said it wouldve be worse. Once you see the vid youll think how did more damage not occur. The nose just needs to break away on a front end crash plain and simple.
V8 i couldn't agree more! that nose is just going to break off. Maybe it would be better to have the nose detatch like the Stryker, held on with magnets
JTAnimal is offline Find More Posts by JTAnimal