SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 08, 2012, 04:54 PM
Flying Hazard
Spain
Joined May 2006
2,871 Posts
Been reclused in the garage for more than a week working on a few models, need to fly straight away! Tomorrow I'll be heading to the field with (Hopefully) 3 jets -Sukhoi, Euro and Albatross-. So I'll try at last the Haiyin Li-Po batch.

Need to fly, really, urgently. I mean it.

Cheers!
Jandro.
SU-4ever is offline Find More Posts by SU-4ever
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2012, 07:40 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,703 Posts
Agree lanxiang gear on past edfs really suck!
v8truckin is online now Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Sep 08, 2012, 09:31 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesimmer View Post
Thanks for the info Max. I don't know how to track this fellow down so any pointers would be appreciated.
Do a search on "Mitzu" , "Podium Jets" for Mitzu or add Pakfa to that to get the old thread.

I think he's making an A-10 lately. He has a CNC foam cutter to come up with a variety of models.
Maxthrottle is offline Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Freewing 90mm F-16C
Old Sep 09, 2012, 04:44 PM
Flying Hazard
Spain
Joined May 2006
2,871 Posts
I've good and bad news.

Good ones are that the Haiyin are apparently delivering great power on the Su, both the 25C and 30C, will have to see how that evolves over the batteries' life.

Second great news is that I have it on video.

The bad thing is that I killed the Eurofighter and The Su in one single day.

First of all, I expected to maiden my L-39 today but my HK 30min epoxi funnily decided to dry in 80 seconds so I couldn't finish building it.

Then my ESC on the Euro puffs. The reason is simple, I had put an 8 cell pack on a 6S limited controller which gives an accurate idea of just how amazingly cunning I am.

Then, after a couple of successful flights with the new Haiyin batts on the Su, as if fate wasn't satisfied enough, the plane literally dies when I connect the third pack. Nothing works.
Still figuring out the source of the trouble and elaborating the "collateral damage assessment". Seems it has something to do with my receiver.

So you see, there are days that you should better stay in bed for the sake of everything not tearing itself appart.

Well, let's end complaining 'bout my badluck and start working everything back toghether again

Cheers,
Jandro.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 05:07 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,703 Posts
Thats really unfortunate Jandro. So i take it the euro bit the bullet and is a total loss or you puffed the esc before flight?

Good to hear your batteries are doing good, gonna keep an eye on em over the next few mo. and see how they are holding up.

Do you get any indication of battery connection when you plug in your battery on the SU? Motor beep, control surface movements, servo buzz...anything. What kind of reciever are you using?
Old Sep 09, 2012, 05:39 PM
Flying Hazard
Spain
Joined May 2006
2,871 Posts
No, no, everything happened on ground so they will all fly again I'm just pissed off at my own stupidity.

When I conect the batts on the Su I think the ESC made 6 beeps, meaning it has detected 6 cells (Not sure if this was the Su or another one) anyway it always makes some noise, nothing happens now though there's current because LEDs are on. I check every surface EVERY time and do a few cycles with the landing gear to make sure it will not get stuck. I use ASSAN receivers on all my models, haven't had any kind of problem till now, yet I'm not sure the Rx is the one to blame.

I was conecting a new battery and the other new thing on the plane is the gear sequencer, also ASSAN branded (The one sold at HK). But it had already done 2 flights and lots of gear cycles without issue so I don't think that's the problem.

My first thoughts are whether it is a faulty power connection or Rx radio signal issue but as long as I know it could be anything else.

Any ideas?
Old Sep 09, 2012, 09:23 PM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Oct 2010
321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SU-4ever View Post
My first thoughts are whether it is a faulty power connection or Rx radio signal issue but as long as I know it could be anything else.

Any ideas?
My SU did same way - BEC on one stock esc died during battery connection and shortcut the other. Assan sequencer worked fine for about 10 flights so far.
Sockrat is offline Find More Posts by Sockrat
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:41 AM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,482 Posts
Do a process of elimination. Connect a RX battery to the RX to see if there is any faults there. If none its on the ESC or BEC side. If internal becs in parallel, then disconnect one of them to see if one is functioning and the other isn't. Pull the red wire, connect it to the RX and again connect an RX battery to see if the rest of the ESC functions and the issue is isolated within the BEC.
Or just run an external and see if that renders results.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 10, 2012, 05:02 AM
Flying Hazard
Spain
Joined May 2006
2,871 Posts
I'm on it!

I use the ESC's BECs, don't have external ones, plus it seems the receiver alone powered appart it's not working either.

Haiyin 25C 5000mAh and Haiyin 30C 5000mAh, for the collection.

SU-35 Training (11 min 43 sec)

There's no visual difference between both so nevermind they're both in the same vid.

Cheers!
Jandro.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 01:59 PM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,482 Posts
While this sounds of what everyone warns of with bec's on the same circuit.....
The RX not functioning could be a fault fail in one of the BECs. If a Bec's shorts it can send full 6S volts to the RX which they are not rated to handle. The RX hopefully took the hit and didn't pass on anything to the servo's and Assan sequencer. I grabbed my 9.9V Tx batt. thinking it was a 7.2V and promptly fried a retract and sequencer in a blink.

Hope you sort it out. Hate when I do similar goofs but at least you know it happens, like reversing ailerons
I started pasting on a check sheet on my batteries showing faults and what models they are for colour coding the writing.
I've mistaken my 4S 5000 for my 6S 4000 so I finally came up with the above to get me to pay attention.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 10, 2012, 03:24 PM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Oct 2010
321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxthrottle View Post
I started pasting on a check sheet on my batteries showing faults and what models they are for colour coding the writing.
I've mistaken my 4S 5000 for my 6S 4000 so I finally came up with the above to get me to pay attention.
I'm using XT60 on all 3S, T connectors on 4s and XT150 on 6S...

With servoles retracts external BEC is a MUST I'd say. When all 3 will decide to shutoff by overcurrent instead of end points - they will pull 5-7A for 2 sec. And when the power is back because end-point switch is not pressed it will overcurrent again. I suspect this is how I burned my BEC - on connection retracts tried to move (sometimes you hear it).
Dunno how sequencer handles that - seems it sends nothing on signal wire before you switch it 3 times.
Sockrat is offline Find More Posts by Sockrat
Old Sep 10, 2012, 04:20 PM
Flying Hazard
Spain
Joined May 2006
2,871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxthrottle View Post
...but at least you know it happens, like reversing ailerons
Hahahaha! That was a low blow
Nah, just kidding, it's taken me all day but seems I've got it worked out by now, both Delta mixers were performing weirdly and both ESC are giving an error message so I have put the 70Amps ESCs that I had prepared for it but they don't synchronize correctly. At least not at low speeds. Will try to fly it anyway. Have changed the external deltas for transmitter mixers and now I'm using two gyros just for TV-roll and another for rudders. Lots of changes, let's see how that turns out.

Cheers!
Jandro.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 05:00 PM
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Nov 2010
565 Posts
F18 Down!

I thought you would like to see this. Many here have this edf from Freewing.

f18 crash (11 min 32 sec)

cause: negative cable came off Deans connector in flight.....

ouch.
Wargassm is offline Find More Posts by Wargassm
Old Sep 10, 2012, 05:19 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,703 Posts
another reason why I don't use deans any longer, had the same exact thing happen on my 1st fa18e by freewing. After that day I switched to ec5 and ec3
Old Sep 10, 2012, 08:01 PM
Joined Sep 2012
5 Posts
Hey guys, thanks for a really good thread about this really sweet jet!
I just got my SU-35 with the DX8 and im trying to program it.

Does anyone have a 100% working setup for the SU35 so i can just copy it to my radio and fly? Really thankful for any response!
RcSweden is offline Find More Posts by RcSweden