to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2012, 01:22 PM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Oct 2010
203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swps View Post
Who's booth was the YF-23 at?
Seems the same company that makes folding wing F-4U and uses now metal shroud 70mm edf - LX.
Sockrat is offline Find More Posts by Sockrat
Old Sep 06, 2012, 01:47 PM
Some Girls r Bigger thn Others
USA, UT, Cedar Hills
Joined Jun 2010
1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockrat View Post
Seems the same company that makes folding wing F-4U and uses now metal shroud 70mm edf - LX.
I confirmed it's an LX model.
swps is online now Find More Posts by swps
Old Sep 06, 2012, 11:50 PM
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Nov 2010
564 Posts
Mig-29 vs SU35

Quote:
Originally Posted by hklagges View Post
Oh, that's simple. The Lanxiang MiG-29 is a much worse design compared to the Su-35. I've had 2 LX MiGs so far and have one of them still flying, much souped up with better fans, motors and SBEC. The Su-35 has many design advantages, for example the wing spar, removable wings, reinforced wings, great hinges for the elevators, non-glued-in removable fans, non-glued-in servos, 17g servos on the elevators, landing gears that are not a total joke, more powerful fans and engines, much better designed vector nozzles with less power loss, accessibility of the electrical components, location of the battery compartment etc.

In flight, this results in the Su-35 having
  • more power
  • a lot more angular velocity along the roll axis (take a look at how small the ailerons are on the LX MiG)
  • much higher 3D capability (e.g. the elevators can take more stress)
  • higher speed (this is my subjective impression, not a measurement)
  • cleaner turns (again, my subjective impression)

The flight advantages of the MiG are:
  • Can fly slowly
  • Can fly veryvery slowly with flaps and leading edge slats extended, good for landing on grass

I do like the MiG, it looks good in the air, also, the Red Star version is visible over the long range. But the Su-35 is really a design generation ahead.

Cheers,
Henrik
while i agree with some of what you have said i disagree with a bit as well.

I've had 5 mig-29 from LX.
3 different su-35.

my observation.

stock setup the su-35 is superior. Stock esc and motor are better, aerodynamics are better on su35. now mig29 was designed in the late 70's, the su35 was designed 20 years later. big difference there.

LX mig 29 design has some flaw, one comes to mind leading edge flaps.
SU35 has design flaws as well. the landing gear is sub par, not as robust as mig-29.
no flap design on su35, or chute.

right now i say its a toss up. the mig29 has a smoke system, drag chute and pilot ejection. su35 has none of these features.
Mig29 has great characteristics espc in landing, su35 has some issues espc ballooning.

stock setup su35 any day. but if you mod out the mig i think it has
the edge with exception to leading edge flaps.
Wargassm is offline Find More Posts by Wargassm
Old Sep 07, 2012, 05:23 AM
Joined Aug 2010
1,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargassm View Post

I've had 5 mig-29 from LX.
3 different su-35.

my observation.

stock setup the su-35 is superior. Stock esc and motor are better, aerodynamics are better on su35. now mig29 was designed in the late 70's, the su35 was designed 20 years later. big difference there.

LX mig 29 design has some flaw, one comes to mind leading edge flaps.
SU35 has design flaws as well. the landing gear is sub par, not as robust as mig-29.
no flap design on su35, or chute.

right now i say its a toss up. the mig29 has a smoke system, drag chute and pilot ejection. su35 has none of these features.
Mig29 has great characteristics espc in landing, su35 has some issues espc ballooning.

stock setup su35 any day. but if you mod out the mig i think it has
the edge with exception to leading edge flaps.
Thanks, good to hear since I only ordered the kit and will be using my own fan/motor/esc system as well as servos. I may just leave the landing gear alone then and see how they fare.
urrl is offline Find More Posts by urrl
Old Sep 07, 2012, 09:50 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
9,434 Posts
How much was the LX Mig-29 kit? And where from? Thanks.
PeterVRC is online now Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 07, 2012, 10:45 AM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,331 Posts
http://toysonics.com/mig-29-360-vect...oor-flaps.html

And they have 10% off right now. I order a lot from them and they have never been an issue.
v8truckin is online now Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Sep 07, 2012, 03:04 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,435 Posts
Yep, mine was about $167.00
Been doing business with them also for quite a while with no problems.
urrl is offline Find More Posts by urrl
Old Sep 07, 2012, 03:51 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,331 Posts
I typically get all my electronics from them also. Hobbywing esc (prefer platinum series), TP90MG servos are 2 of my favorites.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 03:58 PM
white lake michigan
Joined Oct 2004
3,651 Posts
V8 are the toysonics the lx models. Curious if the yf23 is been flown or is it still in the works
unclecrash is offline Find More Posts by unclecrash
Old Sep 07, 2012, 04:25 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,331 Posts
Tysonics are lx models if the item code/sku begins with LX. Believe YF23 isn't avail. yet so probably in the works, but honestly have no idea. Ive been searching for any info on it and havent found any yet. I'm all over it when it does come out.
Last edited by v8truckin; Sep 07, 2012 at 04:33 PM.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 05:22 PM
Some Girls r Bigger thn Others
USA, UT, Cedar Hills
Joined Jun 2010
1,182 Posts
I've been following the YF-23 through a source at LX, first one crashed early on. I've been told this one is ready for prime time. Should be available in the next month I've been told.....we'll see as I've been waiting a bit for this one.
swps is online now Find More Posts by swps
Old Sep 07, 2012, 05:49 PM
white lake michigan
Joined Oct 2004
3,651 Posts
Cool Im going to be building one soon. I will keep my eye on it too.
unclecrash is offline Find More Posts by unclecrash
Old Sep 07, 2012, 06:45 PM
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
1,791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxthrottle View Post
First of all, not here. Thanks all for indulging these tangents from the SU-35 but Ace I'd have to meet you in the PakFa Su-50 thread in the scratch forum. I'm also mobile so remoting my PC from my phone is a little slow. I have a few from the web so they are out there. I also have a blue foam twin 64 version of the Su-50 giving me an idea of the potential and simplicity. I posted pictures showing how easy it was, even in the small 64, to drop a 5000 4S in the mid section.
Mitsu, I forget his company name, just made it too small and then closed up shop making a 70 size version for himself, not for distribution. So if anyone can give you CAD and section formers, he can; if he's willing to part with his work.
I have one unassembled for the very purpose of copying and enlarging the forms to scratch my own with a blow on hard coat if no one gets around to manufacturing it; which I can't see Freewing not doing since the SU-50 still incorporates the round TV nozzles. I hope they don't go J20 first but hey, they are after all an Asian company. The advantage with the J20 is they can do that in a Bifurcated single 90mm tucking the TV units in the body looking like the tail from that old Firefox.
And maybe, just maybe, they'll duplicate the CS/DPS fan for it
Thanks for the info Max. I don't know how to track this fellow down so any pointers would be appreciated.
acesimmer is online now Find More Posts by acesimmer
Old Sep 08, 2012, 03:23 PM
Munich
Joined Dec 2008
1,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargassm View Post
Hehe ! Lets disagree some more:

Quote:
Then you have been the lucky man with the Lanxiang gears. At least I haven't, nor many others, like Brandonmoon, who got aluminium gears from RCLander for the MiG.

Quote:
The original question to which I answered concerned only flying the two beasts, not the bling-bling features. I quote the original poster: "It will be interesting to compare flight characteristics with the SU-35". So, for the flying comparison that was asked, things like the smoke system or the ejectable Pete and the air pollution system don't matter.

Quote:
Mig29 has great characteristics espc in landing,
Yep, agreed. It can be flown very slowly, which is good for landing. As I wrote in my post.

Quote:
su35 has some issues espc ballooning.
Disagreed . In my humble opinion, you only have to trim it correctly to fly level. Trimming has to be done in power-off gliding mode and in powered-on mode; the angles of the elevators and the tv nozzles have to be trimmed independently for perfect results. Then there is no ballooning, at least not in my Su-35.

Cheers,
Henrik
hklagges is offline Find More Posts by hklagges