HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 30, 2012, 08:23 AM
United States, FL, Hollywood
Joined Aug 2010
1,564 Posts
Wargassm thanks for sharing. Nice moves; don't see a lot of pilots doing prolonged inverted maneuvers like that. You might think about repositioning the rear view cam though in your second clip though unless the weight effects your balance. Most movies will show the rear vertical stabilizers. Hope to see more

v8truckin thanks for the tip; ordered the cam. They have a version 2 but it's expensive and I like your resolution so I stuck with your cam. Hard to beat for the price. Or do you have the version 2?
urrl is online now Find More Posts by urrl
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2012, 09:44 AM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,847 Posts
I've got the v1 720p wing cam . I will get the v2 1080p at some point, concerned about its weight @ 200g. Got enough weight from mods and v1 cam.
v8truckin is offline Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Aug 30, 2012, 06:32 PM
United States, FL, Hollywood
Joined Aug 2010
1,564 Posts
Just another weird thing I'm doing to help protect the finish. It worked well on my EPS Airfield F-15 with no apparent structural weakening and seems to be working well with the SU-35. I would not recommend doing this at least till I am finished with the job. It starts with very light coats of clear acrylic spray purchased at my local auto store. EXTREMELY light first coat so it won't eat the styrofoam and the coats become heavier as time goes on. So far 3 coats. I haven't even started on the top yet. Time and patience are critical.

I'm hoping to get a hard shell after maybe ten or 15 coats.
urrl is online now Find More Posts by urrl
Old Aug 30, 2012, 06:48 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,685 Posts
Wondered when we finally see this....
Eurofighter 90mm - Su35 volo in coppia (5 min 11 sec)
Maxthrottle is online now Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Freewing 90mm F-16C
Old Aug 30, 2012, 06:59 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,847 Posts
Did you weight it prior to your 1st coat? That way u know how much weight was added once you get your final coat and so others know what Wright addition to expect. Looks good and shiny! I used WBP instead only difference is brush on, doesn't form a real hard shell, doesn't eat foam. I did it mainly for hangar rash and ease in the cleaning of the foam as the foam without protectant stains over time from fingers and use.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 09:04 PM
Flying Hazard
Spain
Joined May 2006
3,036 Posts
ಠ.ಠ

OMG!
A freewing dofight!
SU-4ever is offline Find More Posts by SU-4ever
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:45 PM
John
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Mar 2011
436 Posts
Freewing SU-35 Flight #5 Rear FPV Cam (5 min 27 sec)

Freewing SU-35 Crash Caused by Wing Cam (3 min 58 sec)

Here are my last two flights with the SU-35. I was trying to get some good footage, but I didn't balance out the wings like I should have!! I don't really know what exactly happened and i don't know if I can fix her, but it sure looks like this airframe is toast... I HAVE to get another one... but I might have to be patient in getting it.
jk671 is offline Find More Posts by jk671
Old Aug 31, 2012, 12:13 AM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,847 Posts
Sorry to see your plane lost Jk! Nice 1st save! Seemed St. Jandro was there, but left too early.

1st off what camera did you use for your video? If its larger than 150g then the cam weight was a big factor.

2nd when adding a cam to the wing you need to add a lil weight to the opposite wing atleast a qrt. of the weight you added to the cam side.

3rd once in the air with the cam you MUST trim her to compensate for any wing dip that may arise by adding the extra weight of the cam (adding the counter weight help alleviate some of that needed trim). But then you still have to worry about inverted flight.

4th And Dont take this the wrong way, but not sure what you experience is but maybe that also had something to do with it. Since the added weight will cause the plane to turn sharper to the heavier side so reaction should have been expected.

Looks like itll be hard to repair that airframe. Again sorry! Just trying to help u out.

On another note ill be posting pics and vids of my finish repair and flight!!
Last edited by v8truckin; Aug 31, 2012 at 01:42 AM.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 12:28 AM
Canberra Australia
Joined Jun 2009
735 Posts
Tough luck John. You must have felt like you went 5 rounds in a heavy weight fight. You did really well to recover the first time, but it was always going to be a tough ask with just a narrow street to line up for final approach...and the worry that the battery was going to go if you left it up there too much longer
MercerMaggot is offline Find More Posts by MercerMaggot
Old Aug 31, 2012, 12:34 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,768 Posts
Gee, that was interesting about the wingcam 'effect'.....
When they were first being done I was thinking exactly that... some detriment possible. But no one seemed to have any issues, and putting them anywhere without issues.

Maybe it was something else too?
Losing an aileron, depending on how it happens, can have an imbalanced effect too. eg how the pushrod then acts. I have had one fault allow slop one way, and resistance the other, so rolling one way was weird, and just weak the other way.

I assume you didn't use a HD camcorder? LOL

It should be repairable..... most are.
PeterVRC is online now Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 31, 2012, 12:49 AM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,847 Posts
Final SU35 repair pics and 2 vids

Heres the Pics & videos of my 1st flight after finishing repairs today.

Pics added silver to resemble the glass on the OLS-UEM tracking system infront of cockpit. Painted cockpit blue to cover up some epoxy. Also after looking things over I felt that the nose area didnt need to be reinforced after all for the nose gear. Landings are soft enough to prevent a major break. Most of the weight on landing is carried on the mains so land her with the nose slightly up and not a high AoA and your fine. If i do brake the nose I would rather it just snap again than break further back, just my opinion.

1st flight since repairs & making sure she flys fine, landing was perfect!!!

Freewing SU35 1st flight after Repair wing cam PICT0001 (7 min 0 sec)

2nd flight Wing cam underneath the wing

Freewing Su35 bottom of wing cam PICT0004 (6 min 4 sec)

God I love this plane!

Finished Results
Last edited by v8truckin; Aug 31, 2012 at 02:30 PM.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 01:23 AM
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined Jun 2007
1,172 Posts
anyone looking to buy one of these, i'm cleaning my hangar out and she's taking up space
kremecheze is offline Find More Posts by kremecheze
Old Aug 31, 2012, 01:42 AM
Throttle Bender
Joined Jun 2008
1,343 Posts
I should have checked V8's photos before I made my camera mount, I used the bigger size clamp I had and it's as big as the cam. I had quite a left roll on takeoff but was expecting it. It didn't fly as well but no real problem. I wonder if there was another control surface issue or something.
merlinfan is offline Find More Posts by merlinfan
Old Aug 31, 2012, 01:45 AM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
. But no one seemed to have any issues, and putting them anywhere without issues.
When I added cam to the vert stab that's what made me almost stall and reason why I landed hot thus causing me to bounce and break nose. Wig hasn't been an issue.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 02:03 AM
John
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Mar 2011
436 Posts
I'm using the v1 wing cam from hobbyking.
jk671 is offline Find More Posts by jk671