Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 26, 2012, 03:13 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,252 Posts
Ouch! Flying her in true Russian spirit..... Fly fast and take chances

As long as the pilot (cam) punched out before impact you live to fly another day. (Ooopp! Another mod, cam punch out).
I wish they sold just the foam parts. I'd be all over that!!!!

John... Good save.
Maxthrottle is offline Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2012, 03:20 PM
Throttle Bender
Joined Jun 2008
1,239 Posts
Sorry bout the prang V8. Foamie wrecks always look better a few days after the crash. Then you are surprised how quickly it all goes back together.
merlinfan is offline Find More Posts by merlinfan
Old Aug 26, 2012, 04:11 PM
United States, FL, Hollywood
Joined Aug 2010
1,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxthrottle View Post

John... Good save.
Found some nose cone parts here:
http://rc-castle.com/shop/product_in...oducts_id=1918

http://rc-castle.com/shop/product_in...oducts_id=2277

And landing gear struts and wheels here:
http://rc-castle.com/shop/product_in...oducts_id=2277

Just ordered both as spare parts, however no considerable wear and tear on the landing gear yet since I have learned how to land gently and do not land in obviously dangerous cross winds. I also am avoiding quick turns after landing, hitting the runway early and slowing down first.

Some recent landings. You may have to set YOUTUBE at 720p resolution cause no one was there to video and I came in far away on some shots.

SU-35 Landings.wmv (0 min 47 sec)

These landings were one after the other, not just my best landings. They are not all perfect but looks like practice is paying off.

Cobra maneuver video
COBRA MANOEUVRE HEAVILY ARMED SUKHOI SU 35 (2 min 19 sec)
urrl is offline Find More Posts by urrl
Last edited by urrl; Aug 26, 2012 at 04:59 PM.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 05:40 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
10,420 Posts
V8, sorry to hear that. I probably had the exact same crash sequence with my Meteor two weeks ago. I always land 'long and fast' intentionally anyway, but at this 'new' road place I have to come in over the power lines and get down fast, so speeds are even higher! Landing speed doesn't worry me, but what it can cause is like what you (and I) got.... if things go astray. I hit the deck just a bit to hard, and it bounced a mile! Plus with weird rotational inertia that made proper control impossible.

Then with that plane, and the F-22 also later, I also found out what 'square gutters' are not good for...... and that the road really is too narrow. Probably 2/3 the width of yours.

Then there is the Su-35.... pics below. So if your is not as bad as that, it must only be a flesh wound!! LOL
I have it rebuilt, at least to the stage of looking back to normal from a short distance, for now. But need to finish off some joints (re-inforce), then add all the ply platings internally.
Then decide if and when I will repaint it. I will probably fly it without repainting it first. And if I do repaint it, it is going to come back as a Desert Camo version!

PS: I was thinking of converting it into a Concorde.....

PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 26, 2012, 05:44 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,539 Posts
Thanks Pete! yours is actually a bit worse than mine, but almost identical the way is split. Mine snapped right infront of the canopy. Ill post pics before the video.
v8truckin is offline Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Aug 26, 2012, 05:55 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
10,420 Posts
In the 4th pic you can see the prior nose snap... more or less vertical (on its left side anyway) right in front of the canopy! LOL
Obviously another of the weak point 'lines'. (That was from the 'engine smoke out, crappy rough ground belly landing' crash)
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 26, 2012, 06:03 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,539 Posts
Actually I just walked outside to take pics, havent looked at her since i loaded her into my pickup truck. She did snap in the same spot as yours however nose cone and cockpit were spared. Almost a clean snap at that weak point, maybe FW did that for a reason? once i post the video youll see the crash and expect worse than what the pics show. Im sure if that nose wouldve been more solid the plane probably would have taken more damage.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 06:11 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,539 Posts
SU35 Crash aftermath!

Old Aug 26, 2012, 08:18 PM
Joined Aug 2012
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk671 View Post
ha ha... this was my first true thrust vector plane... I used to have the starmax 64mm f-16 sold by bananahobby.... that plane sucked major you know what. I went through 3 airframes and was never able to used the thrust vectoring on that plane!!! With that said... I know I am not good with it yet... I know I have to practice, but I think I still need to get extremely comfortable with this jet before I start practicing more and more tricks..
John it was just a joke, your flying was good! it was just a close call but you saved it. i would have panicked and smashed it to the ground.

So what do you think was the total cost for your setup?
JTAnimal is offline Find More Posts by JTAnimal
Old Aug 26, 2012, 08:26 PM
Joined Aug 2012
130 Posts
Sorry to see you guy's crashes! that stinks!!!! the same damage to mine, so I guess that is a weak spot on this plane. all i did was hit a Gofer hole on landing and it Jack-Knifed the plane, i did not see the hole. I patched it back and it still looks fairly good but i want to use the stock setup as a practice plane and do another plane with a better, faster setup.
JTAnimal is offline Find More Posts by JTAnimal
Old Aug 26, 2012, 09:28 PM
dallas tx
Joined Jun 2003
2,846 Posts
Jk, I was in that position 2 yrs ago on my freewing f-35 inverted flying high alpha. Flying over a concrete parking lot. I was running out of lipo, and set it down inverted. Only busted the canopy.
capt soap is offline Find More Posts by capt soap
Old Aug 26, 2012, 10:03 PM
John
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Mar 2011
436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxthrottle View Post
Ouch! Flying her in true Russian spirit..... Fly fast and take chances

As long as the pilot (cam) punched out before impact you live to fly another day. (Ooopp! Another mod, cam punch out).

John... Good save.
I know!! I accidentally turned into the curb yesterday and broke off the landing gear doors!! the doors themselves are fine, but the plastic brackets that held them in place broke... gotta figure out some way to fix it
jk671 is offline Find More Posts by jk671
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:02 AM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,539 Posts
Jk,

Just hinge the door with these hatch hinges. 1 in ea. corner of the doors.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...mm_10pcs_.html
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:03 AM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,539 Posts
Already started repairs on my SU after assessing the damage I couldnt take it any longer
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:06 AM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,539 Posts
Jk,

or you can try regular hinges, but i think these would work best. There is a state side company that sells these just can remember the name. Ill have to check my email as i havent ordered any in about 6 mo. I buy em in bulk.