HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 26, 2012, 02:35 AM
John
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Mar 2011
436 Posts
Here's another video for you guys!!! This plane is awesome!!! By far my fav. jet to date... check out the vertical climb right from the takeoff rollout. I love that...

Freewing SU-35 Twin 70mm EDF Jet Flight #4 (4 min 12 sec)
jk671 is offline Find More Posts by jk671
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2012, 02:38 AM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,701 Posts
Nice save looks like St. Jandro the guardian angel was watching over you. Stock setup probably wouldn't of recovered that late in the flight/battery. She's seem a bit touchy what's your expo set at or have you tried messing with it?
v8truckin is offline Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Aug 26, 2012, 02:53 AM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Oct 2010
318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk671 View Post
The plane was travelling too slow to turn her around. I just pushed both sticks all the way up and started praying! I don't know how, but my ExtremeRC CS-10 Alloy setup with the HET 2w-30's kicked in and lifted her to safety!!!
Great video, John!
And luck... I haven't done the same maneuver as you on su-35 but got stuck exactly the same way on SU-34 (which is almost the same airframe but much lighter). The plane got "stuck" upside-down nose up 30 degrees and I couldn't neither aileron nor elevator roll out of it with both TV on. The damn thing was impressively stable in that position. Managed to get out the same way - full throttle and full down but pancaked it into the grass. Plane easily gets into this position if you try to do 2 loops in a row with TV on - no speed upside down...
My understanding is fans just get too little air as plane falls down and airframe deflects all airflow sideways. This doesn't happen in normal high-alpha, only in inverted.
Sockrat is offline Find More Posts by Sockrat
Last edited by Sockrat; Aug 26, 2012 at 03:13 AM.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 03:27 AM
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2012
802 Posts
Very nice Video. Do some high Alpha or Cobra moves. it will be very impressive on SU35...thanks for your info ..2W30... i'm now standby with 2 x 2W30 with CS 10 70mm fan units with 100 A ESCs , hope to lower the cost on power plant and fan unit.in order to save some money...hot standby for the airframe to arrive...
viperviper is online now Find More Posts by viperviper
Last edited by viperviper; Aug 26, 2012 at 03:34 AM.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 07:06 AM
United States, FL, Hollywood
Joined Aug 2010
1,525 Posts
Quote:
OK guys, here's the 3rd flight of my SU-35... I love this plane! Near the end of the flight, however, I was messing with the thrust vectoring and ended up inverted, heading towards the ground. I didn't have much I could do. The plane was travelling too slow to turn her around. I just pushed both sticks all the way up and started praying! I don't know how, but my ExtremeRC CS-10 Alloy setup with the HET 2w-30's kicked in and lifted her to safety!!! Also, we were able to get much better footage as the sun was going down. Hope you enjoy the video and thanks for watching!
I doubt very much that a stock motor would have saved you in that situation. Great flying. Sweet sounding SU-35. Keep the vids coming.
We're having a hurricane passing under us in South Florida so I need some entertainment.
urrl is offline Find More Posts by urrl
Old Aug 26, 2012, 08:00 AM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchen95 View Post
...problem - one of the vector nozzles ....
I'd lock it if you're in a hurry but the easy fix is at the very bottom between the strike guard fins is the FW symbol. On the inside or other side of that is where the peg broke away.
So Dead center of the symbol with the unit aligned to its marker, drill a 2mm hole. Leave the bit in the hole just far enough to make sure you're in the right spot and the unit moves freely in all axis. The get a socket head nut, like a 4-40, place the head in a dill and file the tip of the nut till its about a 2mm peg leaving only about 3-4mm of thread on the nut just under the head.

The screw shouldn't be much longer than 9 or so mm so cut off excess length. Screw the nut in place ... It should be working again.. As you tighten add a small drip of soft glue (not thin CA) just under the head only to pevent it vibrating or torquing out.

We've posted the fix here and in the other TV model threads. It works.
Maxthrottle is offline Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 26, 2012, 12:05 PM
Joined Aug 2012
131 Posts
John, I was wondering what the cost difference was compaired to the stock? i have a stock one and was thinking of doing a second, more power setup. I too like this plane. nice flying by the way. i noticed your flying calmed down after the close call, i guess you were distracted cleaning your pants
JTAnimal is offline Find More Posts by JTAnimal
Old Aug 26, 2012, 12:15 PM
John
Joined Mar 2011
436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTAnimal View Post
John, I was wondering what the cost difference was compaired to the stock? i have a stock one and was thinking of doing a second, more power setup. I too like this plane. nice flying by the way. i noticed your flying calmed down after the close call, i guess you were distracted cleaning your pants
ha ha... this was my first true thrust vector plane... I used to have the starmax 64mm f-16 sold by bananahobby.... that plane sucked major you know what. I went through 3 airframes and was never able to used the thrust vectoring on that plane!!! With that said... I know I am not good with it yet... I know I have to practice, but I think I still need to get extremely comfortable with this jet before I start practicing more and more tricks..
Old Aug 26, 2012, 12:38 PM
John
Joined Mar 2011
436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by urrl View Post
I doubt very much that a stock motor would have saved you in that situation. Great flying. Sweet sounding SU-35. Keep the vids coming.
We're having a hurricane passing under us in South Florida so I need some entertainment.
yeah the vids are going to be on hold for the next couple of days.... I burned out my battery charger, being stupid. The nano's are capable of charging at 10C... I only had a 50W charger!!! I tried to charge my 6S 5A batts at 4A.... yeah that was stupid... I hadn't done my research on my charger properly... my poor charger couldn't hang, and while I was chargin the battery the power supply(internal) popped. So I have to order another... today. Hopefully it will ship out tomorrow and get here by tuesday or wednesday... depending on where I get it from.... this was my old charger:
http://www.hobbypartz.com/73p-ac680-accharger.html

I am trying to decide between these two chargers to replace:
http://www.hobbypartz.com/75p-t610-charger.html
With this power supply:
http://www.hobbypartz.com/26p-efuel-20a.html

Or this charger:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
With this power supply:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
Old Aug 26, 2012, 12:40 PM
John
Joined Mar 2011
436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
Nice save looks like St. Jandro the guardian angel was watching over you. Stock setup probably wouldn't of recovered that late in the flight/battery. She's seem a bit touchy what's your expo set at or have you tried messing with it?
i think my elevator servos are at 35% expo
Old Aug 26, 2012, 12:43 PM
John
Joined Mar 2011
436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by viperviper View Post
Very nice Video. Do some high Alpha or Cobra moves. it will be very impressive on SU35...thanks for your info ..2W30... i'm now standby with 2 x 2W30 with CS 10 70mm fan units with 100 A ESCs , hope to lower the cost on power plant and fan unit.in order to save some money...hot standby for the airframe to arrive...
i did a little bit of those maneuvers... I am still getting used to the plane... let alone flying it with TV... i want to keep this plane for a while!! Don't want to lose it doing some trick and then get stuck like I did on my third flight...
Old Aug 26, 2012, 12:45 PM
John
Joined Mar 2011
436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockrat View Post
Great video, John!
And luck... I haven't done the same maneuver as you on su-35 but got stuck exactly the same way on SU-34 (which is almost the same airframe but much lighter). The plane got "stuck" upside-down nose up 30 degrees and I couldn't neither aileron nor elevator roll out of it with both TV on. The damn thing was impressively stable in that position. Managed to get out the same way - full throttle and full down but pancaked it into the grass. Plane easily gets into this position if you try to do 2 loops in a row with TV on - no speed upside down...
My understanding is fans just get too little air as plane falls down and airframe deflects all airflow sideways. This doesn't happen in normal high-alpha, only in inverted.
yeah I got luck that's all I can say... i don't have grass here... only rocks and desert bushes that like to tear foam planes apart!!
Old Aug 26, 2012, 02:26 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,701 Posts
Welp after watching JKs save, NOW my Su is down. Added my wing cam to the rear of the plane on vert stabs (bad idea) thought I moved the battery enough forward to offset the weight on the tail...guess not. She flew fine and takeoff was great, but landing was a different story. Pulled off a save on landing as she almost stalled do to tail heavy tendance ( I dont fly tail heavy) went around for another appraoch and figured id land her hot to prevent the stall...not a good idea. She bounced, turned and nosed into the ground. Very very sad day! only damage is to the fuse, but thats why i have a spare airframe in the closet. The pain though is having to weather, drag chute, and wire everything all over again. Oh well i guess i could reattach the nose section like tsmn did, but i dwell on it for awhile. Got a video of it though and we'll c when i get around to posting it today or this wk. To pissed spent a lot of time getting her the way i wanted her to look.
Last edited by v8truckin; Aug 26, 2012 at 02:39 PM.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 02:35 PM
John
Joined Mar 2011
436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
Welp after watching JKs save, NOW my Su is down. Added my wing cam to the rear of the plane on vert stabs (bad idea) thought I moved the battery enough forward to offset the weight on the tail...guess not. Pulled off a save on landing as she almost stalled do to tail heavy tendance ( I dont fly tail heavy) went around for another appraoch and figured id land her hot to prevent the stall...not a good idea. She bounced, turned and nosed into the ground. Very very sad day! only damage is to the fuse, but thats why i have a spare airframe in the closet. The pain though is having to weather, drag chute, and wire everything all over again. Oh well i guess i could reattach the nose section like tsmn did, but i dwell on it for awhile. Got a video of it though and we'll c when i get around to posting it today or this wk. To pissed spent a lot of time getting her the way i wanted her to look.
oh no!!! man that sucks... i'm sorry to hear it... if it can be saved... I say reattach and get as many flights out of it as you can!!!
Old Aug 26, 2012, 02:39 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,701 Posts
Quote:
oh no!!! man that sucks... i'm sorry to hear it... if it can be saved... I say reattach and get as many flights out of it as you can!!!
Ive had this airframe since Jan. But she was in great condition...well c.