HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 23, 2012, 04:22 AM
New Zealand, Bay Of Plenty, Papamoa
Joined Jun 2012
33 Posts
Hey john awesome build video, great effort. hey just a quick one for you ,maybe look at changing out the stock plastic clevises if nowhere else maybe just the elevators as there is a high loading in that area , we would hate to see that awesome build bite the dust for a 10cent clevis. just a thought all the best.
richardaa is offline Find More Posts by richardaa
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2012, 05:59 AM
Joined May 2004
69 Posts
There is another store that have this jet in stock in the United States? Hobby king don't have in stock.
rogerio is offline Find More Posts by rogerio
Old Aug 23, 2012, 07:26 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,044 Posts
http://9xforums.com/forum/viewforum....759dc427428ece

ER9X is based off Open9X, but I think it is the best version.
It can be a bit hard to ferret out what you need to do:
1) Mod TX for an ASP programmer - about 7 wires to solder to the main board.
I put them into a DB9 in the case so I can re-flash to newer versions as they come out. Plus can save, and even totally edit and test models on your PC then.
2) Buy the ASP programmer $5 at hobbyking, or many plces on eBay.
3) Download EEPE and set it to download ER9X-NoHT version, it will download that and then you can flash the TX with the programmer. It is very straightforward and easy really.
4) RTFM... err, read the online manual and be amazed, while exploring yout 'new' TX!!

I keep... keep... keep.. meaning to do a 'build log' on doing it. I am doing two this weekend, so I can take pics etc then.

Oh, and the TX module.... if you have the stock Turnigy one then throw it away!!
Grab FRsky stuff. It will cost you $55 for the TX and one 8ch RX (kit). It is freq hopping, no brownouts... 1 sec reboot if you can ever manage to need one... one of the most bullet-proof systems.
The stock on is not FH so it is just a vanilla 2.4GHz, somewhat dangerous, system to use at all.
PeterVRC is online now Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - what NOT to buy !!!
Old Aug 23, 2012, 07:47 AM
Joined Nov 2006
11,044 Posts
The FrSky system includes telemetry (feedback from the plane, from sensors used).
ER9X also allows the Trainer Port to be used as an output of 8 more Channels. Thus you can rig up a 16 Channel system with ease. You use TWO TX/RX systems.... they are just operating on 8 channels each at the same time.

I use 11 channels in my Su - every servo, item, is on its own channel. This allows unlimited combinations of mixing across any controls you could possibly want to. And boy did I go to town on every possible surface combination! LOL.
All switchable through numerous flight modes.... one day I will actually test them all out, to see which are of great use or not. I broke the plane before I got to do that!
I keep meaning to make a video of all the surface interacting/mixed functions.
(I think I did list the whole programming setup somewhere back in the thread a few weeks back)

RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PeterVRC; Aug 23, 2012 at 07:52 AM.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 09:03 AM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,404 Posts
Ah so Y'all are saying all ideas are great and should never be open to review.
I wasn't the only one who commented on the down side of using Velcro.

Velcro in his app is double sided tape with velcro in between.

Velcro's ~4mm on top of a CS10 alloy that's already slightly larger. How could it not buldge unless you make a grove to recess it.

The concern there is the space especially without the lip may likely add blow by around the fan fowling air at the fan. It will work but its not ideal. And if it decreases performance he may come back saying Marks/CS10 isn't all that great when it may just be his application.
All you're trying to prevent is the fan slipping and is why some of the site pros suggested to him to use double sided instead.
What's the point of Velcro if not for ready access and removal? What's the point of perminant silicon on one side but removable velcro on the other that already has a screw lock?

Urrls, as for your ram scoop, "Its a lovely piece of works 'dere". Your path works and is obviously simpler to implement and is hidden as are the rest of the grills; so its not a scale thing.
But it adds drag where you could use a NACA scoop instead but both require movement to cool.

The common fan induced cooling, obviously not my invention, I now can sit on the ground static at full throttle till the battery runs down with little temp increase at the ESCs.
Moving the ESCs back behind the pinch point of the cross spar also increased the air flow and makes it easier to CG and shortened the motor wire.
All a bit of work that's not for everyone but I wish FW did that in the first place.

Please feel free to scrutinize my ideas. I post them here for that reason. Even if ideas are off they can inpire other possibilities or improve on whats being tried.
Maxthrottle is offline Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 23, 2012, 09:32 AM
Joined Nov 2006
11,044 Posts
LOL Max, you will incur "the wrath"!!!

But I do I agree..... (saves me typing too!!)
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - what NOT to buy !!!
Old Aug 23, 2012, 09:52 AM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,678 Posts
Okay the adhesive deal im not sure I understand why he needed to do that, do the screw mounts not work for this fan. Velcro? Also I agree that the Ram air (good idea though) creates unnecessary drag for my application and rather than deflecting air the ideal path would be to draw air into the grill as max did. Either way all ideas are a great part of this forum defend em, promote em, use em, don't use, bash em...its all good. Like Max said that what leads to other ideas or variations.
v8truckin is offline Find More Posts by v8truckin
Last edited by v8truckin; Aug 23, 2012 at 10:42 AM.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:57 AM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,678 Posts
Max,

Was looking through the photo attachments and noticed u added red to the inside of the nose gear doors, noticed it on the scale version nut never thought to add it. Now I did! Also added to the back of my airbrake they really stand out now. Thx.

Heck I may even do the pitot tubes...now.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 02:26 PM
United States, FL, Oviedo
Joined Dec 2008
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerio View Post
There is another store that have this jet in stock in the United States? Hobby king don't have in stock.
Here ya go .......

http://www.bananahobby.com/su-35-rc-...hQueryId=81975
mikecopey is offline Find More Posts by mikecopey
Old Aug 23, 2012, 03:20 PM
Joined May 2004
69 Posts
Thank's Mike.
rogerio is offline Find More Posts by rogerio
Old Aug 23, 2012, 03:25 PM
John
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Mar 2011
436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardaa View Post
Hey john awesome build video, great effort. hey just a quick one for you ,maybe look at changing out the stock plastic clevises if nowhere else maybe just the elevators as there is a high loading in that area , we would hate to see that awesome build bite the dust for a 10cent clevis. just a thought all the best.
Thanks I appreciate it! Apparently, not everybody agrees with my methods.... but that's ok... my setups are looking good, sounding great, and performing great!! I have a new video uploading now...
jk671 is offline Find More Posts by jk671
Last edited by jk671; Aug 23, 2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 04:11 PM
John
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Mar 2011
436 Posts
Here's my video... maiden flight should be soon.

Freewing SU-35 Build Video #9 Preflight (5 min 37 sec)
jk671 is offline Find More Posts by jk671
Old Aug 23, 2012, 04:26 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,678 Posts
Nice job on the fan/motor combo setup! Looks to have some power actually lots. Really looking forward to your maiden video. My stock setup is getting old and tired so maybe I'll look into that setup sounds really nice also. What were you #s again that you are pulling?

Oh not that I don't agree with your method of install, I just don't understand why it was needed? Does the xtremem rc 70mm shroud not allow the use of the mounts. And why no screws?
Last edited by v8truckin; Aug 23, 2012 at 04:33 PM.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 04:53 PM
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
2,017 Posts
Hi JK

Nice video. You will have no problem getting that off the ground. Plenty of power. I was just looking at the surroundings and thought... That looks like Vegas where I have a second home. Then I noticed in your info that you are from Sin City.What area do you live in? Do you fly out of Bennet Field? I'll be in town flying my SU at the Aces event in October. Maybe you will be flying in it also?. Well, great stuff. I would be very interested in your all up flying weight. Will you be able to get someone to take a vid of the maiden? And please let us all know what batteries, motors and exact flying time on your setup once you get it sorted.

Cheers
acesimmer is offline Find More Posts by acesimmer
Old Aug 23, 2012, 04:58 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,678 Posts
Jk,

900w or 1400w setup?