HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:47 AM
United States, FL, Hollywood
Joined Aug 2010
1,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk671 View Post
Here's a little update on my progress so far... also hope my new method for holding down the motors work...
I like the idea because the velcro does not seem to be causing any stress when you press it in any more than the stock fans caused stress when I pressed them in and if the fans were tested before installation I would not consider them to be removed for the life of the body anyway. But then my idea of the Ram Air scoop was not met with much enthusiasm or encouragement yet it works beautifully even after redesigning it to a minimal form factor, even though the jet flew great with the larger scoop. The stock ESC's would overheat all the time until my scoop was installed. It's nice to see someone else with a radical or different idea.
Hope it works out for you.
urrl is offline Find More Posts by urrl
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:55 AM
Joined Aug 2010
1,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
just received my 5300mah 60-120c Gens Ace that I ordered last Thursday. $106 plus free shipping. Now they are back up to $145 yikes glad I got it fast!
Hope it fits well cause I know my 5000mAh GensAce batteries are a very tight squeeze against the battery tray edges; another reason why I opted for the 4800's.

The 6200mAh 30C batteries from ValueHobby are longer and fit whereas the 5000mAh GensAce batteries are shorter, wider and flatter. But the Value hobby battery runs hotter.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:06 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by urrl View Post
Hope it fits well cause I know my 5000mAh GensAce batteries are a very tight squeeze against the battery tray edges; another reason why I opted for the 4800's.

The 6200mAh 30C batteries from ValueHobby are longer and fit whereas the 5000mAh GensAce batteries are shorter, wider and flatter. But the Value hobby battery runs hotter.
shoot! I did notice that when I was soldering my EC5 connector, it seemed wide. I'll have to check it out as I didn't even think about that when I ordered it.
v8truckin is offline Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:38 PM
John
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Mar 2011
436 Posts
Quote:
I like the idea because the velcro does not seem to be causing any stress when you press it in any more than the stock fans caused stress when I pressed them in and if the fans were tested before installation I would not consider them to be removed for the life of the body anyway. But then my idea of the Ram Air scoop was not met with much enthusiasm or encouragement yet it works beautifully even after redesigning it to a minimal form factor, even though the jet flew great with the larger scoop. The stock ESC's would overheat all the time until my scoop was installed. It's nice to see someone else with a radical or different idea.
Why thank you! I mean isn't that why we are all here... to share inovative ideas in order to better our hobby? I for one think your scoop is a good idea, because it doesn't hurt the flying characteristics of your plane, yet lengthens the lif of your electronics... who cares if it doesn't look scale on the ground... it sure as heck looks scale in the air, which is what really matters in IMHO
jk671 is offline Find More Posts by jk671
Old Aug 22, 2012, 01:44 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,844 Posts
Quote:
. But then my idea of the Ram Air scoop was not met with much enthusiasm or encouragement yet it works beautifully even after redesigning it to a minimal form factor, even though the jet flew great with the larger scoop. The stock ESC's would overheat all the time until my scoop was installed. It's nice to see someone else with a radical or different idea.
Don't take that to the heart man, there are lots of ideas that ppl appreciate even if they are not used. Some ppl either do em or they feel they are not needed. For example the cooling of my esc doesn't need the duct holes Max made or the Ram air scoop for the fact I used bigger esc's and a sepereate bec, so I just made a few exit holes kinda like naca duct at the rear of the wire channel. Also look at the drogue chute and airbrake mod some like it others don't and will never use it. Frontal flaps I'll never use em, but they fit the application of other fliers. My landing light and beacon light nice for scale, but not nesscasary. The list goes on and on. Keep the mods coming guys! That's what makes this a great thread and forum. Awesome job!

And what's up, no love for jandros rap video...? Oh well maybe you should've used Russian rap (I didn't say a specific language) and then nobody could complain about it being rap music on a rap video. Lol!
v8truckin is offline Find More Posts by v8truckin
Last edited by v8truckin; Aug 22, 2012 at 06:53 PM.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 04:45 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,563 Posts
I discovered something about the MPI daytime flashing strobes. Besides putting the second light on the other side of the front strut I placed a second daytime strobe under the nose. There was a lot of radio interference which played havoc with the jet servos until I removed all connectors that came with the MPI daytime strobe light set. Once all wires were soldered in there was absolutely no servo interference. Evidently there were spark gaps going on inside the connectors which caused the servos to twitch.
More lights for SU-35 (0 min 39 sec)
Last edited by urrl; Aug 22, 2012 at 05:28 PM.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 06:51 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,763 Posts
I liked the fact that this time the video had the original sound, as well as music.
It is much better when you can hear the real 'situation', not just a replaced soundtrack. It gives it a far better atmosphere too.
PeterVRC is online now Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 22, 2012, 06:52 PM
Joined Nov 2006
11,763 Posts
You might be able to put a toroid onto the wiring to remove the interference. (same as you should alwyas have on an SBEC)
It is an easy thing to test, with a fair chance of success.
I assume that whole wiring system just runs off an RX port? In that case you would put it onto that lead, nor far from the RX.

Another option is to run if from the battery balance plug, using just any 'two spaced wires' for 7.2v. Or, you buy an LM7805 and wire that in for a 5V regulator off the same 7.2V source.
You just use a small strip of 0.1in spaced header pin block for a 'plug' there.
That way keeping the two systems quite isolated (RX and lighting).
And even then, it MIGHT still need a toroid on the power lead side..... but you leave that until proven required.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 22, 2012, 09:40 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,563 Posts
Thanks for the tip but removing the connectors and soldering seems to have solved the problem.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 09:58 PM
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
2,135 Posts
Composite materials are arriving this week and have already begun prepping my T28 ready for making molds. Once this bird is done and I'm satisfied with the new resins then the Su-35 gets done.

How about a bit of input. I'm thinking of doing the SU molds in just two main parts being the top and bottom fused together. To keep weight down and strength up. Due to the narrow wing span and stubby wings I'm thinking of molding the wings and fuse together has one unit. The stabs and rudders separate along with the nacelles nose and rear pod. I have already done some preliminary test with panel lines/ rivets etc and quite happy with the results. The nacelles, ducts, fan mounts etc will be one singular molded piece that will attaché to the bottom fuselage section and be removable for buildup and future service. Stabs will have the bearing rods built-in and the vertical stabs will be attached via support tube and screws so removable. All hard mounting points will have blind nuts and be molded into the appropriate section. Any other suggestions/ideas while I'm still in the design stage. All servos, fans, electronics etc will take the stock off the shelf stuff or anything that you can cram into it.
acesimmer is offline Find More Posts by acesimmer
Last edited by acesimmer; Aug 22, 2012 at 10:08 PM.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 10:22 PM
Joined Nov 2006
11,763 Posts
Ace... my input for the moment is... AWESOME! LOL
That is a lot of work, and a worthy subject.
Maybe you can make a Blog or Build Log sort of area for the info and responses, so they remain specific to the task? And can throw in posts here now and then to that direction also, just to keep people reminded and new people to find it too.

Wings as one unit....??? Hmmm, I would think foam core (or framed?) balsa would be better in weight/strength terms? And even allows them to be more viably removable, like the Freewing.
I guess I did have an input..... LOL

Do the 'Blog'/Log thing.... with a header area listing all aims, choices etc... and alter/update those as you change ideas. I guess Build Log - or "proposed Build Log" - so there is a thread people can post in too.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 23, 2012, 03:49 AM
John
Joined Mar 2011
436 Posts
Freewing SU-35 Build Video #7 (5 min 55 sec)

I am almost done putting her together. Just a few more things...
Old Aug 23, 2012, 04:17 AM
John
Joined Mar 2011
436 Posts
Freewing SU-35 Build Video #8 Programming TV on T9X (3 min 29 sec)
Old Aug 23, 2012, 04:24 AM
Joined Nov 2006
11,763 Posts
Interesting videos.... good effort!
But, seeing a T9X stock firmware menu system almost made me vomit! LOL (true). It's surprise arrival caught me off guard.
It was like having a nightmare.

When you get a chance mod it for ER9X firmware and you will be freaked out by the difference!
Your jaw will drop.... and again every time you discover the next fantastic thing it can do (probably take a week or few).

This is not just a tip.... I consider it a MUST MUST MUST do thing for the T9X!!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 23, 2012, 04:42 AM
John
Joined Mar 2011
436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
Interesting videos.... good effort!
But, seeing a T9X stock firmware menu system almost made me vomit! LOL (true). It's surprise arrival caught me off guard.
It was like having a nightmare.

When you get a chance mod it for ER9X firmware and you will be freaked out by the difference!
Your jaw will drop.... and again every time you discover the next fantastic thing it can do (probably take a week or few).

This is not just a tip.... I consider it a MUST MUST MUST do thing for the T9X!!!
thanks i guess...where can i find it???