HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 21, 2012, 08:49 PM
Joined Aug 2012
78 Posts
Just a question on the Hobby King fans. he said 68mm and 90mm would you be able to use the 68mm on the SU35? not that i want to use this but just curious. also if you replace the stock fans, i guess you dont have to go with one blade forward and one reverse? i have not see a lot of fans with that setup.

I have been doing some reading about motors and fans and there is a lot to learn. if you want a good setup that is.
JTAnimal is offline Find More Posts by JTAnimal
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 21, 2012, 09:05 PM
Flying Hazard
Spain
Joined May 2006
2,265 Posts
I think they actually said 4,6 kg but that would be a really hardcore setup, maybe he just messed it up when they recorded the video.

a 68mm should fit the freewing, maybe with a little work but you wouldn't have counter rotating fans. Not that it is absolutely necessary but definitely a nice feature!

And finally, here goes the controversial su-rapping vid:

SU-35 33rd to 35th (11 min 2 sec)

Enjoy it!
Cheers!
Jandro.
SU-4ever is offline Find More Posts by SU-4ever
Old Aug 21, 2012, 09:07 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTAnimal View Post
Just a question on the Hobby King fans. he said 68mm and 90mm would you be able to use the 68mm on the SU35? not that i want to use this but just curious. also if you replace the stock fans, i guess you dont have to go with one blade forward and one reverse? i have not see a lot of fans with that setup.

I have been doing some reading about motors and fans and there is a lot to learn. if you want a good setup that is.
yes the 68mm fans would be perfect for the su35, especially these new ones, one of my flying buddies is using the HK DPS 68mm fans in his Mig29 and the are great he is using two 4s 3300 35c nano's in parallel
here's a flight I recorded of it last sunday playing with my new camera
LX Mig29.mp4 (4 min 21 sec)
jcdfrd is offline Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Old Aug 21, 2012, 09:29 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,321 Posts
Good call on the Em music, Thx! Awesome flying once again.
v8truckin is offline Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:05 AM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
5,934 Posts
There actually is footage of the SU-35 on DPS 68s
SU-35 RC NEO re-engined to Lander DPS 68mm (5 min 13 sec)
They don't say which motors they are using but here's the flight vid. Believe it was posted here before.
Maxthrottle is online now Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: EDF Design
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:53 AM
New Zealand, Bay Of Plenty, Papamoa
Joined Jun 2012
33 Posts
Hey guys can i ask for a word of advise, as per my maiden the more i think about it the more im thinking c of g or down trim reqrd, the unatural glide time and the way it climbs leads me to beleive either i may have a rearward c of g or it needs down trim. with no power on approach it would gain altitude with power on it would straighten up. any advise would be gratly appreciated.
richardaa is offline Find More Posts by richardaa
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:57 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
9,375 Posts
You could add a pic of the elevators - to show their neutral position, and the wing in that pic for reference. Make sure they are at the 'powered on' neutral position (with your used trim).
Also list where the CofG is now.
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: ESC/Battery Anti-Spark lead
Old Aug 22, 2012, 01:14 AM
New Zealand, Bay Of Plenty, Papamoa
Joined Jun 2012
33 Posts
Hi peter thanks for the quick reply , the elevators are at 10mm as per instructions and the cog is at 155mm or just in front of the servo wire square hole that the aileron wir goes through, i think it was maxthrottle or v8 truckin who posted that one.
richardaa is offline Find More Posts by richardaa
Old Aug 22, 2012, 02:25 AM
Joined Nov 2006
9,375 Posts
The CofG should be fine then. The trim is sort of irrelevant as it is 'correct' if you set it so the lane flies level at some chosen cruising speed. So if yours was climbing... add more down trim! LOL.
It does glide quite well, for what you might expect of its design. Even mine at 3.2Kg

In 'reverse' to that, I tend to aim for 'streamlined surfaces' - eg wing and tailplane/elevator alignments all parallel, and CofG based off that. I am not sure how 'poor' that could ever turn out, because I can see that maybe some certain design could be atrocious CofG when those are aligned, but in general I have not seen that bad result occur.
I guess if a plane is designed well, then the surfaces will end up in that region of all parallel with the correct CoG.
I am not recommending this idea! LOL

Oh, and then.... half the time I just throw the battery in all the way forward, when 155mm CofG is with it 50mm rearwards! I just 'forget'. Thus flies nose heavy... but flies fine. I never seem to be fussed (notice much) over CofG too much, but it must alter the 'ease of rotation' for X,Y,Z planes. 50mm of battery move gives something like 10mm to 15mm of CofG move.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PeterVRC; Aug 22, 2012 at 02:30 AM.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 02:42 AM
John
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Mar 2011
436 Posts
Here's a little update on my progress so far... also hope my new method for holding down the motors work...

Freewing SU-35 Build Video #6 Motor Mounting (4 min 43 sec)

For more of my progress and more videos that I didn't post here... you can find them here...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1715426
jk671 is offline Find More Posts by jk671
Last edited by jk671; Aug 22, 2012 at 02:51 AM.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 09:41 AM
Joined Aug 2010
1,435 Posts
Very good deal here: HobbyPartz has an end of the month sale 34% off GensAce 60-120C 6S 4800mAh batteries $87.40 each. I ordered two. The two GensAce 5000 mAH 60C batteries I already have work fantastic and after a 3 minute 30 second flight are only comfortably warm. AND NO SHIPPING FEE. No way could I pass that deal up.
urrl is offline Find More Posts by urrl
Old Aug 22, 2012, 09:49 AM
Joined Nov 2006
9,375 Posts
Sorry, but I didn't overly like that silicone, or the velcro, fan mounting idea! LOL

I am sure it will work fine.
The issue is removal of the silicone side, and even of the velcro 'tearing' side.

Mounting flanges have to be better.... and are easy to do. Even easier if you bought the flange sets with the fan housings!
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 22, 2012, 10:19 AM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
5,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk671 View Post
Here's a little update on my progress so far... also hope my new method for holding down the motors work...
JK how come No intake lips??
Two simple straps of metal and or double sided tape on either side of that bump around the OD of the housing is what most use.

The velcro adds too much material between the unit and the foam cover that you end up stressing the foam as you lock it in.

The silicon has to be reapplied every time you have to pull the EDFs where as double sided tape you can use a few times. And when you pull the tape it doesn't take any of the foam with it. This is likely why its suggested by most.
Maxthrottle is online now Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: EDF Design
Old Aug 22, 2012, 10:42 AM
Joined Nov 2006
9,375 Posts
Oh yeah you NEED those intake lips!!!
You will lose power for nothing otherwise.

Unfortunately the straight fit onto an ERC fan is a Wemo lip. Those can't be used in the Su viably.
BUT.... you can make the CS10 inlet lips fit fine. Run layers of tape around the front area, to the lip, to build it up so the CS10 lip then fits nicely. Then tape the lip on in the usual way people do.

I forget if the stock lips can be done the same..... I think they can, but just can't remember what I found with those. (I used CS10 lips)
But if you use the CS10 lips, then they either need to be ground down to have a smaller outer diameter, or cut out foam so they fit in their original size.
I 'hand spun' mine on a bench grinding wheel, so they were close enough to 'round' still. Because they seat into foam slots, that is not a critical accuracy to need.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 22, 2012, 10:46 AM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by urrl View Post
Very good deal here: HobbyPartz has an end of the month sale 34% off GensAce 60-120C 6S 4800mAh batteries $87.40 each. I ordered two. The two GensAce 5000 mAH 60C batteries I already have work fantastic and after a 3 minute 30 second flight are only comfortably warm. AND NO SHIPPING FEE. No way could I pass that deal up.
just received my 5300mah 60-120c Gens Ace that I ordered last Thursday. $106 plus free shipping. Now they are back up to $145 yikes glad I got it fast!

Might try those 4800mah for my euro w/ cs12.
v8truckin is offline Find More Posts by v8truckin
Last edited by v8truckin; Aug 22, 2012 at 10:52 AM.