Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 31, 2012, 01:00 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,817 Posts
Su
kick butt video man........always very entertaining and killer music.......I love it!.... great flying

If you havent seen them yet I maidened my L39.....vids are up in the thread
jcdfrd is online now Find More Posts by jcdfrd
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2012, 02:18 PM
Flying Hazard
Spain
Joined May 2006
2,566 Posts
I've seen them ^^

Your paintwork precission is awesome!
SU-4ever is offline Find More Posts by SU-4ever
Old Jul 31, 2012, 03:00 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,515 Posts
SU,

U ever get those 5300mah gens ace? I possibly killed a mine yesterday won't know till I İharge it. Doing my normal flying and felt her losing speed/thrust around 2:30min so I got my gear down and luckly I was making a go around where I landing approach/coarse is, so im WOT and she's losing altitude fast so I had to cut my approach short and bank hard and land her, thank god my runway is about 150+ yards, but she laid down almost perfectly. I taxi back pull my battery cover and my battery is scorching hot and a lil puffing on 1 cell. Almost lost her, but from now on I'll be using my telemetry and heat sensor unit on every plane now.
v8truckin is offline Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Jul 31, 2012, 03:52 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,227 Posts
No idea why some say they don't need telemetry. It comes in handing in so many ways. I wish all the radios would hurry up and add it to everything already....
What charger do you use? It should tell you any cells that may be getting out of balance and fix it during charge.

I've been doing some run ups checking all the packs and watching the ESC's etc. Getting 3.624kg thrust in the model with the Wemo's Mini/2W25. And they are surprisingly quieter than I expected such that I think I may not be getting full power out of them yet.
So combined 20V avg, 119amp, producing 3.624Kg.
It has no problem doing 1:1 in the living room even with the Zippy 5800 30C. Got it to float up and stick to the ceiling with them. ESC's stay below 35* at 26* ambient. So happy with the ESC cheat. You can feel the air getting sucked over the ESC's into the duct so that one actually worked.

But its still nose heavier than I'd like. The lighter batteries were even better 1:1 because they are lighter but I'm thinking I'm gonna have to break out the back of the battery tray to get it past CG160mm. The ESC are behind the wing bar and the only thing not stock forward is the OLS camera, the pull pull steering servo positioned at the door servo for the time being and the nose cone hinge. That's all next to nothing. Either way I may be flying some time this week... finally!
Maxthrottle is offline Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 31, 2012, 04:22 PM
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
1,899 Posts
Max. I installed your ESC mod. I drilled the holes per your pics just forward of the fan shroud. Unfortunately I blew one of my new ESC's it just went dead?. So reinstalled the stock ones but in the original position. I did a smoke test and you still get a lot of air sucked in and across the ESC's without the need to move them. So a great idea either way. I re flew mine after the incident last week but had a difficult time landing due to the right TV stuck in the full up position. Was a windy day and needed to increase power on roll out which cocked me up into high alpha and left roll. Anyhow, minor repairs to nose mount.
acesimmer is offline Find More Posts by acesimmer
Old Jul 31, 2012, 04:35 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,515 Posts
I've got 3 that I use all running of their own power supply.

GT Power 8 150W 7A
http://www.toysonics.com/gt-power-8-...e-charger.html

Hobbyking Eco8
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_w_acc_.html

Turnigy Max80
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...y_Charger.html

I always balance charge my batteries and never fast charge em... Kinda baffled... Should I check every cell with my lipo voltage reader just to confirm my charger is doing its job? My zippy 5000mah 40c had no problem, wonder if its because it's high C rating and my flying style of WOT for 15 sec bursts on my SU.

Funny thing is I also had the same thing happen yesterday on my gens ace 4000mah while flying your favorite :P my fa18e w/CS12. Although this battery puffed 3 cells and is toast now. I had no problem on my 1.7m P51 flights using the same 4000mah battery.

Plan on foing your esc cooling mod sometime this wk also.

Those zippy 5800 sound pretty tempting now. Glad your getting ready to maiden hope u can get a video, as we've all been waiting!
Old Jul 31, 2012, 05:01 PM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,227 Posts
Believe me I keep telling everyone to bring their camera's.
Hopefully with many I can splice something together.
Hopefully you figure out what up with the batteries or if the ESC's are having some effect.
Remember I got the 5800s for reconnaissance. I don't intend to push them too hard but I do have to break them in and was looking for a bench mark. Holding the SU to the ceiling I chaulk up to being a fairly good one. But that was 2 minutes into the run up. I wouldn't push them that hard after 3-4 min without expecting some long term effect. And they are 850g, some 50-70grams more than some of the others. Still I did run them above half throttle up to full for 6 minute on the timer.

There is good enough flow in the factory position. If it wasn't the ESC's would be over heating. But the cooler your ESC the less amp loss to heat. And I tried it both ways with smoke and you can see the difference. Too any cheat you can add to get more air with less resistance to the fan face the better.
I'm even thinking to sand the inlet lips for better flow. Later.

Oh and I moved the ESC back for two reason. Better CG positioning and to shorten the motor wire length.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 31, 2012, 05:08 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,515 Posts
Yes I put tape over my the inlet lip as the foam drops of behind the front of the lip at a short 90* for about a qrt in. So now the air has a slope to flow over rather than the 90* qrt inch drop. I figured that maybe a smoother flow would help the air flow smoothly. If that is what your talking about ? Sanding is a cleaner look!
Old Jul 31, 2012, 05:23 PM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
Yes I put tape over my the inlet lip as the foam drops of behind the front of the lip at a short 90* for about a qrt in. So now the air has a slope to flow over rather than the 90* qrt inch drop. I figured that maybe a smoother flow would help the air flow smoothly. If that is what your talking about ? Sanding is a cleaner look!
Thought of that too but no, the actual square cut LE of the inlet. You'ld be surprise ho that kind of stuff makes a difference. I was cleaning up a spill in my work area and the wet vac has that same thin square lip on the edge. I noticed that beeds of water was just swirling right at that edge.
So I laughed for a second and got a 70mm curved inlet lip and instantly all the water got sucked away.
Made me think how true the guys talking about ducts and inlet lips etc are.
So at some point I want to dremel a rounded inlet edge. Again not a must but who knows.... every little bit....
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 31, 2012, 05:26 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,515 Posts
Aaaah Gotcha! Ya good idea.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 05:53 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
10,290 Posts
I have an F-15 with square (or were) inlet lips. People saying to bevel/round them for better inlet flow. This is because the very end (front) inlet lip is now your 'whole fuselage fan housing' inlet lip
So I did that..... zero thrust result difference. LOL.
So I didn't do the Su.....

"Every bit helps" is not actually true. You don't want 'more', or 'less'. And there is no 'perfect', because so much changes per throttle (RPM) level and aircraft air speed interaction. For high speed you want 'less', for low speed/hovering you want 'more'. Higher blade count fans want 'more' (less resisrtance to flow).

So to me the stock openings look fine in area for the 'average' overall uses.

That step in the ducting would not be some 'mistake'.... it would be to alter the airflow in some manner. Possibly to assist 'square' going to 'round' airflow, or even tied in with the cheaters effects.
I don't know if they truly test things that much when they design them, but you can see it was a choice not just something that 'happened' in there.

I have twin CS10 HET 2200kv (2W30) and fluking the same as Max. 3.6Kg and 118Amps. I use a 5800mAH 30C battery.
I'll have to do that "let it hit the ceiling' idea!! Never thought of that.. I didn't even think to hand hold test it for 1:1.
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 31, 2012, 08:11 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,515 Posts
Think I found the problem. My turnigy max80 wasn't charging my cells correctly and was giving them a full charge but not evenly on balance. So ill have to buy a new charger. Thing is with that charger it only charges my 6s @ 3.5a so it was a slow charger. Headed to the field and ill c if my batteries hold up since my 5300mah was able to charge evenly, but my 4000mah that i use on my euro cs12 & fa18e cs12 is a lost cause.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 08:29 PM
Flying Hazard
Spain
Joined May 2006
2,566 Posts
I have one Gens Ace but only one, since that's what was left at the Spain Warehouse and there haven't been more since.

It's amazing to see how well they balance in discharge, ending all cells at the same voltage +- 0,01V
SU-4ever is offline Find More Posts by SU-4ever
Old Jul 31, 2012, 09:47 PM
United States, AR, North Little Rock
Joined Jun 2007
1,161 Posts
anyone know where i can get a replacement fan in the us?
kremecheze is online now Find More Posts by kremecheze
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:24 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,515 Posts
Banana hobby beta site there's a link a few pages back