SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 10, 2012, 07:16 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,508 Posts
I have that Starmax F-16. It is a beautifully designed and produced aircraft! I consider it better than the Su-35. Not in the terms of the hardware (servos, fan etc), but the foam aircraft itself, the design and the finish of it. That is one aspect of a plane/kit that you cannot do everything to 'fix' later - though you can do a fair bit on a foamie, but via "a fair bit" of work too!
All Starmax stuff I have is in the top tier of foamies - Err, the foam design and construction. I have to check but I think it is 4 or 5 of my planes that are Starmax, 3 of them smaller more budget 1000mm things, and the 1600mm P-51 which is fantastic like the F-16 - but not their electronics they, they are so-so, just adequate. Though not many brands are anything more than that anyway, so in anything over 1.2m I am pretty well always changing out stuff to be safer anyway.

The F-16 has a bit more presence than the Su-35. Probably because it is a 'beefier' aircraft, that is really smaller than the Su in real life but the model is equal measurements, thus is just a "fuller" space. I look at the F-16 on the ground in front of me and always sort of drool over what you see. I sort of go, "Boy that is a beautiful plane", LOL. I don't quite do that with the Su, though I really like both styles of the real aircraft.
Put the Su-35, F-16 and P-51 together and they are really all beautiful and inspiring models really - which I am sure LOTS of others are too these days! The excellence of foam.... sigh.
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Skyzone Goggles - Button Shield
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2012, 07:36 PM
Joined Nov 2006
11,508 Posts
I have one composite - a Hawker hunter.
Foam and composite are quite different beasts. You feel the smooth glass-like gloss of fibreglass and go "ahhhhhh, smooth, shiny".
But they don't have the detail, texture, and are more effort to mod and work on. Heavier too (though I like that anyway).

That BAE Hawk is gorgeous.... but costly to fully complete too. I almost got one, but have resisted so far.... luckily it doesn't quite have the pull on me to win that battle!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 10, 2012, 08:40 PM
United States, FL, Hollywood
Joined Aug 2010
1,534 Posts
For me I have to handle my foamies with kid gloves and they are more influenced with the wind. I love the SU-35 but the little finger nail marks, bumps and scrapes are building up fast on the thing. Flying my composite L-39 feels better to me and I believe my SU-35 to be my last foamie. A composite to me is a step up if you can afford it and it feels and flies more realistically to me. But I understand your point of view. Hope you understand mine.
urrl is offline Find More Posts by urrl
Old Jul 10, 2012, 08:45 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by urrl View Post
For me I have to handle my foamies with kid gloves and they are more influenced with the wind. I love the SU-35 but the little finger nail marks, bumps and scrapes are building up fast on the thing. Flying my composite L-39 feels better to me and I believe my SU-35 to be my last foamie. A composite to me is a step up if you can afford it and it feels and flies more realistically to me. But I understand your point of view. Hope you understand mine.
You should try cleaning her with a damp cloth or chlorox wipe & then adding a light coat of WBP. I do it to all my planes now. Makes the foam easier to clean and also adds a thin layer of protection vs. no WBP. Plus the added weight is a non issue vs the protection.
v8truckin is offline Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Jul 10, 2012, 09:03 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,534 Posts
I'm sorry; what is this WBP
Old Jul 10, 2012, 09:13 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,760 Posts
Water Based polyurethane aka minwax or valspar polyurethane. Great great product!
Old Jul 10, 2012, 09:41 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,534 Posts
Thanks for the tip
Old Jul 10, 2012, 09:47 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
...dislike for twin 70mm fans which would 99%....
Again agreed. But Russian front-line fighters are such a good designs..... Either that or Freewing could go back and redo a very scale 90mm F-22 or F-35A or C. But every time I mention it a revolt starts... so I didn't mention it. And as long as FW keeps adding TV to stuff, it will have to be twin 70mm or 90mm Bifurcated. Not too many other designs for them to do.
Maxthrottle is offline Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Freewing 90mm F-16C
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:14 PM
Joined Nov 2006
11,508 Posts
Yes, WBPU is almost a must on foam aircraft! I do it to all of mine, and typically 3 or 4 coats, sometimes it ends up even more. The weight to do it is zero issue... well, in my terms because I believe all foamies need a fair bit more weight than they typically have. For penetration reasons, and flight realism reasons. But it isn't much weight added either anyway.
WBPU toughens up the surface of the aircraft....."toughens", not "fibreglasses", LOL. So you still have the softness of foam underneath that thin layer, and it will still get dented and even fingernail marks. It just HELPS.... to a fair enough degree to definitely be worth doing.

I have nothing against composites....as mentioned, both foam and composite have their good points that the other type can't have, so you have to weigh up the reasons for choosing either for an aircraft. Most often it is because you can't get 'that' aircraft, or its size, in both foam and composite. So you have to go to whichever gets you what you wanted so badly, LOL,
But I myself choose foam to an almost 90% degree. If you make a total list of either types best and useful points, foam comes out with double the total really.
That is not saying composite is bad at all.... it just doesn't have as big a list of pluses (but remember I also mentioned each have their own strong points they themselves can only have).

I keep fending off buying a composite F-18 that I eye off at least once a week....... lol
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:40 PM
Canberra Australia
Joined Jun 2009
735 Posts
Comments on TV are interesting. It can be a handful if this is your first time with vectored flight. My advice would be to start off with small nozzle movements by adjusting the linkages. I like about 80% expo. Increase the allowable movements with experience.

Any corrections to elevator on maiden will be amplified by TV and it is easy to overcompensate and get into trouble if the plane has a roll that needs to be trimmed out as well. Be careful on landing, set up a long appoach and easy on the elevator (use throttle to maintain altitude as needed).

I know this is pretty basic stuff for any pilot experienced enough to handle the SU, but there might be some not used to TV. Feelings on TV are mixed, but I am now a fan and would never buy and EDF without it.

I just can't wait until someone comes out with a fully functional model Harrier Jumpjet. Surely the EDF/VTmodel technology must be there now. I envisage a twin independent EDF set up with one for the tail (standard) and one in the belly (facing down at 45 degrees) for vectored thrust.
MercerMaggot is offline Find More Posts by MercerMaggot
Old Jul 11, 2012, 12:01 AM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,849 Posts
and their is also foamies with liquid sheeting. it is a Hard coating for foam that can be painted with anything. it is as close to fiberglassing your foam without the glass. it turns your foamy into a composite without the weight......best of both worlds. here's a project I'm currently working on, its not done yet but getting close. its the HTG L39 90mm jet. this is a large 90mm jet that fly's great in stock form. mine has gotton all the mods in the book and is liquid sheeted and in the paint process right now. here a few pics of my L39 "Wild Child"
jcdfrd is offline Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Old Jul 11, 2012, 12:02 AM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,760 Posts
Nice! Where can u get it?
Old Jul 11, 2012, 12:04 AM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,760 Posts
This what u talking about?

http://www.wowplanes.com/product_inf...roducts_id=130
Old Jul 11, 2012, 12:09 AM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,849 Posts
yep or here if you have the need to do many models, half gallon for 35bucks
http://www.industrialpolymers.com/pr...st/styrospray/
jcdfrd is offline Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Old Jul 11, 2012, 12:27 AM
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
2,113 Posts
"I just can't wait until someone comes out with a fully functional model Harrier Jumpjet. Surely the EDF/VTmodel technology must be there now. I envisage a twin independent EDF set up with one for the tail (standard) and one in the belly (facing down at 45 degrees) for vectored thrust."

I have full size stick time on both the BA Hawk and the Harrier. The Hawk is a very honest and elegant airframe that is very predictable. However, the Harrier is a whole different beast. I think it is quite a difficult project to build and fly a model true using VTOL unless thousands are spent in technology assist. I have known a guy who has been working on a flying model Harrier for thirty years and can hardly get it in to the forward VT Roll and flight. IF he rolls it out for normal takeoff it is no problem. The hover to flight is much more complex than it seems. However, with all the fancy Gyros and the programability of the latest radios I'm sure it will be achieved quite soon. If one was to mimic the Stability control system using pressure nozzles etc I see no reason why it could not be done especially with the thrust that the new fans can put out. If anyone knows more on a VTOL model flying please post.
acesimmer is offline Find More Posts by acesimmer