HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 09, 2012, 08:08 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,300 Posts
Peter, start reading some of your stuff from about page 222 onwards. All I can say is ........................ WOW!!!!
OK, I think I can extract everything I need from this thread via searching. No need to hang around here anymore. You can compete for the "Big Man on Campus" trophy all by yourself.
xviper is online now Find More Posts by xviper
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 09, 2012, 08:21 PM
Fast and getting faster!
Albany County, New York, United States
Joined Jul 2003
1,552 Posts
Looking to pick one of these up from Hobby King, whats the best 6s battery for the PNP jet? I have 5000`s, and 4400`s both 6s?

Thanks!
FASTALJR is offline Find More Posts by FASTALJR
Old Jul 09, 2012, 08:40 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
10,717 Posts
I would want 5000's, to get decent flight time. And you probably need that to even balance it.
I use 5800 30C's (830g approx) and have it all the way forward in the battery bay.
Even though I changed to CS10's, L2855's, and bigger ESC's, the rear weight is pretty well exactly the same as per stock.

I have the Zippy 5800mAh 30C
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: SBEC's connected in parallel
Old Jul 09, 2012, 08:55 PM
Fast and getting faster!
Joined Jul 2003
1,552 Posts
ok good, I have a bunch of 5000`s and I was gonna order some more anyway as I need a couple new packs!

Sounds good!
Old Jul 09, 2012, 09:26 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,590 Posts
Fast I agree 5000mah + is the way to go for good flight times. You also might want to take into account C rating if your doing a lot of WOT as it can punish your battery.
v8truckin is online now Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Jul 09, 2012, 09:41 PM
Fast and getting faster!
Joined Jul 2003
1,552 Posts
Good, I have been waiting a long time to pull the trigger on this jet, and some items I had for sale non-rc sold today, and now gonna order one tomorrow! Even since I flew my friends f-35 from freewing I was looking at this jet so here we go!!!!
Old Jul 09, 2012, 10:50 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
10,717 Posts
Yea, take note of your C rating... and really the total ability that it means.
eg 5000 30C is not 5800 30C ability etc
5000 30C 150A... and really only a bit over half of that truly sustainable from typical batteries, as the C ratings are sort of fables. LOL
5800 30C 174A.... <-- Mine, and with 58A (116A total) CS10's it is under a bit of duress.
5000 45C 225A
Even though it will only need about 120A max really.
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: SBEC's connected in parallel
Old Jul 10, 2012, 02:35 AM
United States, FL, Hollywood
Joined Aug 2010
1,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
Great video and flying! Much appreciated. Ive yet to master the flat spin so im working on it also, get scary sometimes.

From the sounds of it and the looks URRL's approach and touchdown there was some wind, correct me if im wrong URRL. So landing was great!
You are correct there was some wind and I was doing a little correcting on the way down. The other landing of the two flights was the way I normally land but since the video guy zoomed in too close on the touch down I did not choose it in my video. Thanks much for the compliment though.
SU-35 landing 2 (0 min 13 sec)

Thanks for the flat spin advice SU-4ever, I'll give it a shot next time out. But I may leave out posting videos here from now on.
urrl is offline Find More Posts by urrl
Last edited by urrl; Jul 10, 2012 at 03:18 AM.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:44 AM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
Yea, take note of your C rating... and really the total ability that it means.
eg 5000 30C is not 5800 30C ability etc
5000 30C 150A... and really only a bit over half of that truly sustainable from typical batteries, as the C ratings are sort of fables. LOL
5800 30C 174A.... <-- Mine, and with 58A (116A total) CS10's it is under a bit of duress.
5000 45C 225A
Even though it will only need about 120A max really.
Plus some C ratings ain't correct.

I've got 2 Blue lipo 30C 4000mah that have puffed so bad from using em on my euro & fa18e both with 1500kv and Cs12's. They were never a problem on my 1700mm Fms P51 and were fine until I used em in those 2 edf/fan combos. My 4000mah Gens Ace 25C dont show any signs of puffing or overheating. Funny thing is my P51 is pulling 91a peak during static tests while my CS12 setup is pulling 77a static... ? That is why i went with 45C zippys 5000mah on my SU rather than a lower C. Pretty much im using Gens Ace on all my edf from now on and if they outta stock I'll order a high C lipo or wait.
Last edited by v8truckin; Jul 10, 2012 at 11:59 AM.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:30 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
Plus some C ratings ain't correct.... 45C zippys 5000mah ....
+1 V8.
Its hard to see how some of these battery makers come up with their C ratings. In fact not sure how they do their batches. I've had multiples of Blue in the same rating behave very differently.

It was good to get the video feed back from everyone for the battery list showing how the kind of flying revealed the difference in chemistry of one lipo paste to another.
Cooling helps but for the $$$ spent that initial batch of GEN ACe's and Genesis batteries were above par. Hopefully that wasn't to just get us hooked like TPs; great at first then something else in quality for ea new one purchased.

Others work fine for the bargain as long as you didn't push hard for any length of time.... Just mainly cruising or any hard flying mainly at the beginning before the batteries really heated up.

Hopefully if FW does a T-50 they have the ESCs in the duct and better cooling over the battery chamber with shorter drive system wire lengths.
Maxthrottle is offline Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 10, 2012, 01:23 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,479 Posts
I have two gens ace 60c to 120c 5000mAh batteries. At the end of a flight they are usually luke warm after a 3.5 to 4 minute flight. I also have two GFORCE 40C 5000mAh batteries from ValueHobby.com which I usually set the timer for 3 minutes; they are holding out well. ValueHobby has some great prices.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 01:24 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,590 Posts
Max,

Sheesh! I wish FW would make a Pak-Fa T50. Hopefully the way the su35 is constructed and built they use that as the standard for future edf plane of this scale. Only problem I foresee is the just a personal dislike for twin 70mm fans which would 99% be the likely power train, but id still buy it.

Urrl,

ive been eyeing those high C rated gens ace. I've been happy with the 25c but may try one soon.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 01:24 PM
Flying Hazard
Spain
Joined May 2006
2,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxthrottle View Post
Hopefully if FW does a T-50 they have the ESCs in the duct and better cooling over the battery chamber with shorter drive system wire lengths.
+1
Jeez, that'd be sweet...
SU-4ever is offline Find More Posts by SU-4ever
Old Jul 10, 2012, 01:40 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,479 Posts
I see an interesting 90mm EDF jet here; 400 grams less than the SU-35

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
I suppose it would be much faster than the SU-35 especially if I use my left over wemo tech EDF 8S system on it but I already purchased one of these though, trying to get away from foamie jets.

I see someone had a crash similar to my maiden flight, only he repaired and crashed his twice.
SU-35 Destroyed in Seconds Again! (0 min 54 sec)

Another curious video I stumbled across:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=VoullOkMV5Q
Last edited by urrl; Jul 10, 2012 at 02:10 PM.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 04:05 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,329 Posts
urrl; If you post a complete flight vid and a link to which Value battery you're talking about I can add it to the Battery list. Also which setup is being used.

Where ever pilots mentioned what batteries they flew with and had the entire flight on vid I tried to add these to the battery list with Battery and Video demo link.

I haven't updated it for a while if I don't know what its being flown with. Unknowns I add to the bottom. I'll add your mishaps to the list if we had an actual cause if other than over-steer. There is plenty of vids out there of models doing the same that do not have thrust vectoring or even tailerons or stabilators.

TV being the cause for yours and that pilots issue????? ... how is it that we keep recommending to so many, which many agree with after several tries, that to keep the roll out length manageable, TV is recommended to be on, especially if the nose and mains are not adjusted. And I don't see in the many vids anyone squirrelling around all over the sky or reporting the model unmanageable. So something has to be different, these instances verses the general population.
What's not clear is the radio and linkage setups in both cases. Or did he have some kind of failure.... twice? Glad you're in the air either way.
Maxthrottle is offline Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member