HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 08, 2012, 09:22 AM
United States, FL, Hollywood
Joined Aug 2010
1,525 Posts
That should really be the demo video for Hobby King and all other companies that supply this jet. Just beautiful.
urrl is offline Find More Posts by urrl
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2012, 03:31 PM
Flying Hazard
Spain
Joined May 2006
2,897 Posts
Thanks!

Today I'm very proud to anounce that I managed to do my first real kulbit!

There's no video but using the wind on the tail I managed to do a whole flip without loosing forward motion! (So it wouldn't be a true kulbit but it just looked like it)

Cheers!
SU-4ever is online now Find More Posts by SU-4ever
Old Jul 08, 2012, 03:52 PM
Flying Hazard
Spain
Joined May 2006
2,897 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxthrottle View Post
When Sukhoi say its more manueverable, why would I question them.
Well I actually do believe them but a russian 'friend' that had been involved with Sukhoi some years ago told me that there's a lot of "polithics" and turbulent information all around the design bureaus , to give an example the Su-47 prototype was just a big fraudulent monster (Yet coolest airplane ever) designed just to atract the interest of the people and politicians, to show that they were already prepared to develop a 5th generation aircraft and that they already had a prototype and the means to produce it. In fact they were very far and pretty desperate but truth is they won the contract against Mikoyan and now they have the money to develop, build and test the PAK-FA.

So, in this case I pretty much believe the 35 is able to do all they say it can do but I wouldn't for sure believe that everything they say is truth.

(Not them and neither any other aeronautical firm!)

Cheers!
Old Jul 08, 2012, 04:00 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,705 Posts
Oh is that what is called?

Its possible to do that as I've done without any need for wind. Just slow down like your going into a cobra and when speed is getting to almost to a hover give full elevator and throttle. Bam! Kulbit! I've been able to do 2 consecutive flips but the last flip ends with a slight stall.
v8truckin is online now Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Jul 08, 2012, 04:07 PM
Flying Hazard
Spain
Joined May 2006
2,897 Posts
but it stops in the air if there's no wind, the idea is to make the flip while flying forward still!

If you can do it, I'd love to see it!
Old Jul 08, 2012, 04:12 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,705 Posts
Hmmm...forward motion is forward motion regardless of speed, right?! Ill try n get a video of it tonight if I head out after it cools down.

Or in your case wind.
v8truckin is online now Find More Posts by v8truckin
Last edited by v8truckin; Jul 08, 2012 at 04:20 PM.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 07:49 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SU-4ever View Post
... a lot of "polithics" and turbulent information .... atract the interest of the people and politicians, to show that they were already prepared to develop a 5th generation aircraft ...!
And which of them don't do it? Lockheed's doin the dance with the F-35s, Boeing with trying to sell the F-18 and F-15 as an interim solution showing what they can do, and there is one Paris show vid where they had the 18 do a lot that they keep restricting Sukhois from doing.....
But this discussion was started with comments about SU-35s history... pedigree and that the current version was run of the mill and this being because of a lack of canards and air brake?

You're learning the dynamics so you know there have been many many approaches that a great many designers have used like; taking mass off or making fuel distribution more managable at the outer points of the aircraft making the system more agile... So as many remain in a love affair with canards, which the US makes fun of because it makes a military aircraft more visible, they and Sukhoi used other measures to maximize agility at less cost and can and can't do a kulbit for various reasons.
Over on the F-16 forum they've said the F-16 theoretically could even do the Kulbit but the air force restricts pilots even attempting it because as we know Russian aircraft are made like tanks.
Having said this Sukhoi brought them back the aerodynamic feature with the use of LERX on the T-50. Only they made them conformal to the strake/fuse for LO.

The entire super manueverabilty was both a promotional political tactic but in certain scenario's it increases a threat window. So they added the features to the F-22 just in case.

For us its all just pure performance entertainment for the craft we love.
Maxthrottle is offline Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Freewing 90mm F-16C
Old Jul 08, 2012, 08:49 PM
Flying Hazard
Spain
Joined May 2006
2,897 Posts
Well I already said (And won't quote myself ) that I wouldn't completely rely on Sukhoi's firm statment as I wouldn't on any other aeronautical firm, so no worries about that. I'm pretty anxious to see the PAK-FA starting to do a bit more of a show on the displays and see what the russian new generation aircraft can do!

Now back to the Su-35 lovely model-thing (Before the other modelist start throwing us stones... or broken fans, maybe old planes...) today there wasn't clouds so we took pictures instead of vids and here is the outcome!

Yeah that was a big bunch of pics but I initially had over 300 shots so it's not that much after all, it was dificult to choose just a few, this plane has a horrible tendency to be awesome in ALL the pics ^^

20 flights so far!

Cheers!
Jandro.
Old Jul 09, 2012, 05:26 AM
Joined Jan 2011
572 Posts
I started assembling mine today to find that one of the elevators servos did not work. i replaced it with a Hitect HS-85MG and then found that both elevator servos are on a Y cable and the elevators end up working as ailerons. Going to separate the elevator servos so I can reverse the direction of one of the servos.
htran is offline Find More Posts by htran
Old Jul 09, 2012, 06:27 AM
Joined Aug 2010
1,525 Posts
Thanks for the pics SU-4ever; some gorgeous shots there. I'm using this one for my laptop wallpaper
Old Jul 09, 2012, 06:33 AM
Joined Aug 2010
1,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by htran View Post
I started assembling mine today to find that one of the elevators servos did not work. i replaced it with a Hitect HS-85MG and then found that both elevator servos are on a Y cable and the elevators end up working as ailerons. Going to separate the elevator servos so I can reverse the direction of one of the servos.
I buy Align DS420 digital servos for $25. They are already reversed and I use one for the elevator and the nose gear. They are not metal gear but are high quality and the movement is extremely smooth, quiet and no play in movement. They are designed for the 450 scale RC helicopters.
Old Jul 09, 2012, 07:15 AM
Joined Jan 2011
572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by urrl View Post
I buy Align DS420 digital servos for $25. They are already reversed and I use one for the elevator and the nose gear. They are not metal gear but are high quality and the movement is extremely smooth, quiet and no play in movement. They are designed for the 450 scale RC helicopters.
Easier to split the elevator and use two channels, giving me the ability to use elevon wing mixing on the elevator.
htran is offline Find More Posts by htran
Old Jul 09, 2012, 08:15 AM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,494 Posts
SU-4Ever, what did you finally settle into for CG and what's your stab angle at for level? Did you go a little more tail heavy just for the Kulbit?

What roll rate did you set your tailerons at? I noticed you're not cork screwing much on roll. Did you mix that out or is it just not that pronounced?
Maxthrottle is offline Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Freewing 90mm F-16C
Old Jul 09, 2012, 09:11 AM
Joined Aug 2010
1,525 Posts
I notice the cheater hole pieces are not glued in on one end and break easily during jet handling. I would recommend glueing to save yourselves some grief.
Old Jul 09, 2012, 11:12 AM
Flying Hazard
Spain
Joined May 2006
2,897 Posts
Max, I haven't measured it but I use stock setup (Save for three gyros and main gears) with a gens ace 5300mAh farthest back allowed by the battery tray so you can guess.

But I know I'm not actually flying tail heavy as I said I would, because I have the stabs correcting for a pitching down tendency. I may measure it one of these days to give more accurate numbers ^^

So no, the kulbit wasn't done tailheavy ^^

I'm not sure I completeley understand your question about the roll rates.

I fly with full travel for the tailerons in pitch axis all the flight (Unless I need to land in windy conditions), I have the low rates enabled for most of the flight for the rudders and ailerons+ tailerons for yaw and roll axis. Y only set full rudder deflection for 'drifted' snap rolls and flat spins, and I use full aileron deflection only for quick rolls. The roll movements I have very limited deflection as I found this airplane was very responsive in that axis. When performing the backflips or kulbit attempts I slow down and aggressively pitch up for the closed drifting tail loop, and then I correct lateral unstability with RUDDER, I often leave the aileron stick untouched or just a very little correction, hope that answers your question, I don't have any mixing to help that ^^

Cheers!