HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 26, 2012, 05:46 PM
United States, FL, Oviedo
Joined Dec 2008
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwards Rc View Post
Thanks Mike.. I was hoping for this kind of report... I read this whole thread to see what problems people were having ( if any) with this model BEFORE I ordered it on Friday.. having had a poor history with BH recently.... another story for another thread..I want a model with the least amount of worry with the OEM..

Based on Max Throttles advise and great Battery chart. I ordered the Genace 4000 mah for basic flying and max times....

You mentioned balancing the fans..... I see this all the time... how exactly does one do this and know the fan is balanced.. its not like a prop balancing.. or is it?

By the way, I see your from Oviedo... I have a home in Titusville. really miss the warm nice weather..
Your welcome !

Tried to keep it simple.....this is a busy thread with lots of info.....

Notice I said "tried" to balance fans......I've never done it, and couldn't find the right stuff to do a simple balance, so I just sanded some little nicks down, and made sure everything was snug, and ran em. They sounded good with little vibe, so I guess that'll do !

Haven't flown yet....due to weather and work.....

Florida's nice but I'll trade ya anyday !

I was at George AFB Victorville back in the 80s...my only car was a dirt bike !

Also....I agree on the takeoff stuff....I'd love to get into it, but these guys are Aerospace engineers and Chuck Yeagers.....aint no lowly pilot gonna tell em nothin.........Seriously, tho, real good info here....you should have been here for the Vmax discussion !

Mike
mikecopey is offline Find More Posts by mikecopey
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 26, 2012, 05:58 PM
Flying Hazard
Spain
Joined May 2006
2,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecopey View Post
Seriously, tho, real good info here....you should have been here for the Vmax discussion !
That one was actually funny
SU-4ever is offline Find More Posts by SU-4ever
Old Mar 26, 2012, 08:26 PM
United States, FL, Oviedo
Joined Dec 2008
86 Posts
Seriously, tho, real good info here....you should have been here for the Vmax discussion !

Quote:
Originally Posted by SU-4ever View Post
That one was actually funny

Hey !
That was your equation, right SU ?

I'm thinkin you may have backed down to soon.....

That negative sign applies to a numerator in a square root......

My little brain thinks result may be bigger with a smaller "W"........

( Jet faster with less weight )
mikecopey is offline Find More Posts by mikecopey
Old Mar 26, 2012, 08:59 PM
Flying Hazard
Spain
Joined May 2006
2,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecopey View Post
Hey !
That was your equation, right SU ?

I'm thinkin you may have backed down to soon.....

That negative sign applies to a numerator in a square root......

My little brain thinks result may be bigger with a smaller "W"........

( Jet faster with less weight )
Yes, I posted that equation (The equation is right)
Precisely, our conclusion was that you get better top speed with the lesser weight.

The fact was that I somehow stupidly mistook that negative sign for a plus so I was defending the wrong conclusion, but it was easy to see that I was wrong due to an apocalyptical reading lapsus.

But also, we could argue that it had little contribution because it was multiplied by Cdo parameter which is almost always a very small number (0,00xxx) so it affected top speed but not as much as other considerations like thrust and total surface.

That equation appears at John D. Anderson, Jr's Introdutcion to Flight, page 431 if someone is interested in further detail. (Sixth Edition)
SU-4ever is offline Find More Posts by SU-4ever
Last edited by SU-4ever; Mar 26, 2012 at 09:04 PM.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 10:43 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SU-4ever View Post
Well, you can actually give more nose height by redesigning the landing gear mount to be lower (I mean, closer to the ground) and keeping constant the strut lenghth.

That is my actual purpose when I get to mend mine (Now that it has broken)
I will tell you whether it ends happily or trouble comes up.
???
J the moment still increases. All you would have done by building up a box to lower the mount is the build up all becomes an extension of the strut. The wheesl are further out relative to vertical CG, increasing the torque moment. Not a big issue.

The increased force isn't huge but if the mount is already failing as is, increasing the length from center would require more build up which usually equals more weight and had better be for good reason. From all the video I'm looking at including yours, everyone seems to be getting off the ground well under 60m. So why put more strain on the nose structure in any form if the model is already successfully getting off the ground as is.... is all I'm thinking.
Remeber too, two pilots snapped the entire nose off at the bulk head so If I could I'd even go shorter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin
You shouldn't have any problems getting off the ground and stalling, because she should have sufficient speed at liftoff. Also the stall rate on her is very low.
Actually I had to laugh to myself but weren't you the one who started off this thread with a similar mishap That's not a jab but for me its more a possibility at certain times of the year.
I've had some models sitting on the ground between flights get hit by a gust of wind, lifting it and as quickly, dropped it to the ground. It was sitting still to begin with. At what point did it have sufficient flight speed? Only during the gust.

As I said, we are in a galley or bowling alley of trees. When we get a north or south wind running perpendicular to the trees with our field running east and west, the wind gusts often change direction on us, first with a gust facing you then flipping around as you roll out. I broke the gear off my Yak55 coming in to a strong head wind that switched to a sudden tail wind.

On those days we tend to punch it and our tail draggers tend to suffer the most (this isn't my field but this is what it often looks like) because they get off the ground too soon unless the pilot knows to keep the tail down until he's picked up some speed.

It is also for this reason I was looking for greater than 1:1 twr. But also, with down force from a slight lower nose, wind conditions push the aircraft to the ground, unless its a bad cross wind, until you decide to pull the nose up when you know you have sufficient velocity.

Its one of the reasons why all weather military aircraft have this slight nose down attitude, so that they maintain better ground control till at sufficient speed to penetration the conditions. For me that will hopefully mean punch it hard 5-30m and go vertical if the acceleration is that good.

Its not unusual for members to be at the field in 30+kph winds cause conditions can be that way for months at a time. That's how I landed and took off with my Kadet on a picnic table... yes for real.
Maxthrottle is offline Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Maxthrottle; Mar 26, 2012 at 11:05 PM.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:17 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxthrottle View Post
Actually I had to laugh to myself but weren't you the one who started off this thread with a similar mishap That's not a jab but for me its more a possibility at certain times of the year.
My failed maiden was from bad cg/tail heavy nothing more nothing less, had a feeling you were going to use that to your defense.
v8truckin is online now Find More Posts by v8truckin
Last edited by v8truckin; Mar 26, 2012 at 11:35 PM.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:21 PM
United States, CA, Lancaster
Joined Feb 2012
201 Posts
Thanks again Max on the mods and reference.. I went to Lowes today to find the spring.. no good, all they had were larger tension springs.. asked and looked no good.. We do not have a hardware store here only the big guys.. sort of sucks.. my Ace hardware back home always had this stuff..
I see real value to do the nose strut mod.. on any surface.. and agree on controlling the AR so as not to stall due to a gust of wind.. we have tons of that out here in the high desert.. ..

thanks again..

Ps the math problem above on MaxV.. OMG.. you guys are killing me.... LOL... and I worked on the space shuttle for 30 years before coming here to the aviations gods aircraft test base... I cant get that deep into RC flying.. but maybe some of you should start your own aircraft mfg.. Just saying...
Edwards Rc is offline Find More Posts by Edwards Rc
Last edited by Edwards Rc; Mar 26, 2012 at 11:32 PM.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:28 PM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
My failed maiden was from bad cg/tail heavy nothing more nothing less, had a feeling you were going to use that to your defense.
No defence no defence really was just joking. But you know where I'm coming from that the conditions can be a bit hairy so I'm playing what I can to my advantage.
I've been waiting to hear from FlipFlop though with his since it was setup the same. Anyways......

The Euro 8S was smaller and heavier so I needed more to get the small wheels out of the grass, but she has less of a foot print in the air. So I had a high ground speed before it got off the ground. Still got tossed around as it got over the trees blocking cross wind nearer to the ground.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Freewing 90mm F-16C
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:34 PM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,565 Posts
Quote:
Thanks again Max on the mods and reference.. I went to Lowes today to find the spring.. no good, all they had were larger tension springs.. asked and looked no good.. We do not have a hardware store here only the big guys.. sort of sucks.. my Ace hardware back home always had this stuff..
I see real value to do the nose strut mod.. on any surface.. and agree on controlling the AR so as not to stall due to a gust of wind.. we have tons of that out here in the high desert.. ..

thanks again..

Ps the math problem above on MaxV.. OMG.. you guys are killing me.... LOL
Try a local machine shop supplier. Up this way they can be the same place you get construction equipment and tools, safety harnesses etc. They tend to supply nuts and fasteners along with springs. There out there. Especially since its the common spring used in most of the struts we are all using.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:35 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,780 Posts
Seen that video of CHN feel bad for him, but if your that ballzy to maiden or fly in that...welp you deserve the out come (no pun inteaded CHN). Im fortunate to fly on a road that has an X pattern so i can choose to takeoff or land into the wind as it changes, but i dont fly in that wind. Im too chicken!
v8truckin is online now Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:45 PM
Joined Feb 2012
201 Posts
I wish I could find that post or the person that did the drag chute mod/add on.. I can see use for that too, not to mention the cool factor.. I have the Chute out of my A10... ( the one for the ejection canopy and pilot) don't know if it would be big enough or too big..

Just waiting to get my model.. and planning on all these great mods you guys have perfected.. and thanks for the idea on where to find these springs for the nose strut.. will look around tomorrow..
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:56 PM
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Oct 2011
3,525 Posts
Quote:
I wish I could find that post or the person that did the drag chute mod/add on.. I can see use for that too, not to mention the cool factor.. I have the Chute out of my A10... ( the one for the ejection canopy and pilot) don't know if it would be big enough or too big..

Just waiting to get my model.. and planning on all these great mods you guys have perfected.. and thanks for the idea on where to find these springs for the nose strut.. will look around tomorrow..
Here is a video from Antaeus, the guy who done the drag chute mod.

SU35 mods (1 min 45 sec)
DamonH is online now Find More Posts by DamonH
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:59 PM
Joined Feb 2012
201 Posts
How cool... now I got to do this.... thanks for posting it..
Old Mar 27, 2012, 12:01 AM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,565 Posts
Quote:

Or just look at V8s blog page for parts
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 27, 2012, 12:07 AM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
Seen that video of CHN feel bad for him, but if your that ballzy to maiden or fly in that...welp you deserve the out come (no pun inteaded CHN). Im fortunate to fly on a road that has an X pattern so i can choose to takeoff or land into the wind as it changes, but i dont fly in that wind. Im too chicken!
I felt for him too but you can learn your way through some of it. I tell you though, it makes the simplest of models an exciting challenge to get back in one piece.
Another reason I fly foam EDFs.
RCG Plus Member