HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 10, 2012, 08:03 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
Max, I always just assumed you were on the West coast anyway. LOL. do we live close to each other?
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2012, 08:29 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
5,966 Posts
Though I'd love to live on the West coast, I'm still just a 1 1/2 hrs from you. Straight up the 400 till you reach the foot hills of ski country.
Maxthrottle is offline Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: EDF Design
Old Feb 10, 2012, 08:34 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
I used to live in Barrie, when I worked for Air Canada. I miss living up there. the air is cleaner and my wife doesn't suffer from her allergies when we visit there. hmmmmmmm.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Feb 10, 2012, 08:43 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10mtnRC View Post
I would say cruising. I'm going to wait with the high alpha until I get a feel for the plane. Just looking for a good starting point.
then I'd say 3/4" low rates & 1 1/4" high rates on the elevators. Ailerons 1/2" low rates & 3/4" high rates. Rudder I always have it on 3/4". Adjust all as needed from there from there. I flew ailerons & elevators @ 1/2" low & 3/4" high it flew, but i needed more so I to 3/4 low & 1" high. I now fly 3/4" low & 1 1/2" elevator, so you can try that also.
v8truckin is offline Find More Posts by v8truckin
Last edited by v8truckin; Feb 10, 2012 at 09:04 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 09:12 PM
Joined Oct 2011
92 Posts
Thanks V8, I was just going to use the recommended rates as stated for the Hornet, but they didn't seem like enough, especially the elevators. I'll go with your suggestion of 3/4 low and 1 1/4 high and 1/2 low and 3/4 high on ailerons, making adjustments as necessary. I'll try to post my maiden also. I noticed there aren't many vids of this bird up yet, gotta fix that!
10mtnRC is offline Find More Posts by 10mtnRC
Old Feb 10, 2012, 09:15 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,338 Posts
That's what I originally did also on my 1st failed maiden, but it wasn't enough to get off the ground in 1/2" travel
Last edited by v8truckin; Feb 10, 2012 at 09:34 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 09:55 PM
Joined Oct 2011
92 Posts
That's what I'm worried about, and I'm taking off from grass. I might try 1 inch low and maybe 1 1/2 high on the elevator. Jeez I wish the weather would just clear up, all this second guessing, checking and rechecking the control surfaces and vector nozzles is starting to get to me. Oh, and the sleek new jet sitting in the hangar grounded.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 09:57 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,338 Posts
If your flying off grass the TV will really help, so don't turn it off. Its been sunny and in the mid 60s to low 70s this wk here in Cali. No rain in sight, kind of unusual for this time. We've had rain twice since Dec. I'm loving it though cuz I'm flying every wknd I'm not working. Thought I'd rub it in!!!
Last edited by v8truckin; Feb 10, 2012 at 10:03 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 10:16 PM
Joined Oct 2011
92 Posts
All I can do about that is sigh lol. It's not even supposed to get above freezing up here till Monday. I was considering leaving the tv on to help with rotation but it's my first jet with tv so I think I'll do a taxi test out there and see what kind of drag I'm getting from the grass.
Last edited by 10mtnRC; Feb 10, 2012 at 11:44 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 10:24 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,338 Posts
Oh ya I fly off pavement so I wouldn't know about grass takeoffs. Good luck on your maiden & hope u vid it, not many vids other than anteus, war, & I.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 10:29 PM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
5,966 Posts
Careful on those runway conditions. One of the pilots here just because of the mix of ice and wet grass that pulled the nose down enough to catch and shatter the nose off.

You can look back at the pics posted of the actual accident.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2012, 10:46 PM
Joined Oct 2011
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxthrottle View Post
Careful on those runway conditions. One of the pilots here just because of the mix of ice and wet grass that pulled the nose down enough to catch and shatter the nose off.

You can look back at the pics posted of the actual accident.
Yeah I saw that that's too bad. I'm going to wait until it warms up and the runway dries out. It's supposed to warm up fairly well this week anyways. Thanks for the heads up though max.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 11:00 PM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
5,966 Posts
I'm taking my time till the conditions are good and I know I'll be walking the field before I V1.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2012, 11:50 PM
Joined Oct 2011
92 Posts
I would like to let everyone know that if they are planning to use a DX7S or compatible setup with this bird you can PM me and I'll send you the profile if you like. All you would need to do is adjust the rates to your liking and it's only a 10kb file so it would be nice n easy and likely save you some time. I just thought I would make the offer.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 01:44 AM
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Nov 2010
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashed_Potatoes View Post
^^ Like that huh? I disagree... No one should have to pay for returns on defects. I would rather hand deliver it since I'm only a couple hours away from BH. As far as QC? I'm fully aware BH does not manufacture but thanks for the school lesson. Your right about FW not doing their part. Still there has to be some kind of communication between the dealer and manufacture to maintain good quality. Just my two cents. Feel free to edit this too.

BTW besides the bad retract the jet is very nice.
i did discover something on the nose wheel retract. i do have a YouTube video of my nose wheel retract issue, in fact it failed to extend for landing. the flight is posted in the forum here.

the nose wheel retract, the distance apart from side to side is 12.6mm, on the rear retracts its 12.4mm. ill post a pic they aren't the same width where the strut bolts onto the retract. where the post is. that whole unit. that is why there is slop and side to side movement.

I took one of the retracts from Antaeus crashed SU-35, swapped out the center part ( post ) and its perfect. no play left to right.
Wargassm is offline Find More Posts by Wargassm