New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by DLGjunkyard, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2015, 10:25 AM
Find More Posts by DLGjunkyard
Now fortified with carbon
Canada, ON, Cambridge
Joined Apr 2010
2,838 Posts
Been a while since I posted here.
I have been playing around with using carboline down LE `s rather than a fabric weave. So far I`m impressed with what I`m able to do by using carboline LE`s
DLGjunkyard is offline Find More Posts by DLGjunkyard
Old Feb 04, 2015, 01:45 AM
Find More Posts by Mason W.
You know our motto, We deliver
Texas
Joined Nov 2010
60 Posts
Hi I just ran across this thread, I mess around with fiberglass a good bit and a little bit with carbon fiber but not really enough to understand this. Whats carboline? Also whats that yellow stuff you've covered the horizontal stab with in the last few pictures?
Mason W. is online now Find More Posts by Mason W.
Old Feb 04, 2015, 10:55 AM
Canada, ON, Cambridge
Joined Apr 2010
2,838 Posts
Carboline is a carbon fabric like no other. It is not really a fabric but more of a uni directional carbon tow alternative. http://www.hyperflight.co.uk/product...abric-30-39g-m

The yellow material is simply kevlar with a very slight bit of yellow pigment added to the epoxy
Old Feb 04, 2015, 11:16 AM
Find More Posts by Mason W.
You know our motto, We deliver
Texas
Joined Nov 2010
60 Posts
Wow that stuff is light! and not terribly expensive too! so why the pigment? and why cover it in kevlar instead of carbon?
Mason W. is online now Find More Posts by Mason W.
Old Feb 04, 2015, 11:34 AM
Canada, ON, Cambridge
Joined Apr 2010
2,838 Posts
The cost of the carbon is good partly because there is little waste. If you noticed the direction of the fibers it is unlike any other fabric. No wasting of large pcs of material so you can place the fabric on a bias.

The pigment just adds a nicer tone of yellow to the kevlar. The kevlar over the blue foam ends up looking like beige.

Why use kevlar over carbon? I build tail parts to sell so I build parts with various prices for various conditions
Last edited by DLGjunkyard; Mar 10, 2015 at 06:59 PM.