SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 29, 2001, 12:51 PM
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jun 2001
2,792 Posts
Funny story (almost lost my plane in the ocean)

i was flying my Slope Slayer glider (flying wing) off a cliff at the beach the other day, and the receiver battery died on me. i hadn't charged it in a while. at first the controls got real sluggish, then they died completely, and at the moment the plane was pointed straight out to sea. the water is about 40 yards from the cliff. the plane flew straight and level right out over the breaking waves while i yelled "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" with my hands on my head. just when i was certain that it was lost forever, a gust of wind tipped it into a long diving bank and it came around and dove into the sand right at the edge of the water. "YYYYYYYES!". that'll teach me to keep my batteries charged
Ben74 is offline Find More Posts by Ben74
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2001, 12:56 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Feb 2000
87 Posts
is there a cliff for slope flying near huntington beach? I'm out of town but i go down to that area quite frequently, and would be interested in locating slope sites nearby.
tqpham is offline Find More Posts by tqpham
Old Oct 29, 2001, 01:06 PM
North Hills
Joined Nov 1999
6,073 Posts
I had a similar experience at a place called Round Mountain, which is absolutely covered in cactus and yucca (and ticks and rattlesnakes) - it's not the ocean, but if you land more than a couple hundred feet from the flying spot, it's basically unrecoverable. I was flying my 48" PSS Spitfire - checked that all the moving parts were moving in the right direction and then gave it a chuck. A few seconds into the flight, I realized that I wasn't in control, and thought I had lost it for sure. After wandering around aimlessly for about 30 seconds (seemed like minutes), it crashed into a yucca bush 10 feet away from me. How do you spell relief.... And yup, the batteries were dead as a doornail.

Pete
SchiessCo is offline Find More Posts by SchiessCo
Old Oct 29, 2001, 01:43 PM
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jun 2001
2,792 Posts
fok,
which spitfire do you have? is it the Patton EPP one? i love spitys, and am looking for a good EPP slope flyer.

tqpham,
the beach i was referring to is called Dog Beach, and is located on Pacific Coast Hwy (PCH) about a mile north of the Huntington Beach pier (main street and PCH). it's a great place to fly. it's easy to find because there's planes in the air any time there's wind.
Old Oct 29, 2001, 02:14 PM
Caution:Makes sharp left turns
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Feb 1999
6,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tqpham
is there a cliff for slope flying near huntington beach? I'm out of town but i go down to that area quite frequently, and would be interested in locating slope sites nearby.
Yes, off of PCH and 1/4 mileN of Goldenwest St. Park in one of the metered spots in the parking lot. There's a patch of dirt you can land on but watch out for the nasty rotor and bikers/joggers.
Ben, did you ever fly off Newport Back Bay. That place was the best in a South wind till they built ugly million dollar homes on the cliff. My buddy had his Rx batt die one day and it went straight down into the harbor. Thank goodness for foam core wings. The wind blew it back to shore after a while.

Note for saving radio equipment when you splash into salt water:
First, empty as much water out of the electronics as you can. Haul butt to the supermarket and grab yourself some distilled water and a bottle of isopropal alcohol. Wash out Rx, batt, and servos in the distilled water (dunk them in a bowl). Then, repeat the process with the alcohol. Don't let the radio parts soak too long in the alcohol. It can attack some plastic parts. Take them out and dry off with a heat gun. If you have any doubts after you clean the parts, send them into the manufacturer to be checked out, Rx especially. Salt water starts to corrode electronics on contact.
Troy is offline Find More Posts by Troy
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 29, 2001, 02:29 PM
Huntington Beach
Joined Aug 2000
728 Posts
Troy:
1/4 N. of Goldenwest? Is that where the dogs are allowed on the Beach? How many people fly there. I've never seen anyone flying at Huntington Beach. Come to think of it, that's the only bluff in the area. Give me some details. I usually fly at the HSS site. Not slope though; it isn't well regulated there. Where does one fly slope at Newport.
Buran is online now Find More Posts by Buran
Old Oct 29, 2001, 02:43 PM
North Hills
Joined Nov 1999
6,073 Posts
Ben,

Yup, it's the Patton Spitty. It was in grey/green RAF camouflage when I almost lost it. Reborn with a shortened wingspan and a union jack covering job to turn it into a WAR style racer. It was a great flyer (before my wonderful dog got it) and I would highly recommend it.

I heard that Steve is thinking about getting out of kit production, so you might want to get one while you still can.

Pete

SchiessCo is offline Find More Posts by SchiessCo
Old Oct 29, 2001, 02:46 PM
ODB VI September 2014
United States, OK, Weleetka
Joined Dec 2000
8,542 Posts
Slope soaring

I used to fly sailplanes in Redondo Beach. South of the pier and next to the Palos Verdes Peninsula. There is iceplant there to fly over and land on if you don't catch the plane. We even sloped a Kadet Sr one day! Just took the prop off and a baggie over the engine. I remember my first Gentle Lady staying in the air there even when some of the big full house High $$ ships couldnt.........
Kind of hard to do that here in Indiana.
Wes
1987tc is offline Find More Posts by 1987tc
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phone number change.
Old Oct 30, 2001, 03:06 PM
Caution:Makes sharp left turns
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Feb 1999
6,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Buran
Troy:
1/4 N. of Goldenwest? Is that where the dogs are allowed on the Beach? How many people fly there. I've never seen anyone flying at Huntington Beach. Come to think of it, that's the only bluff in the area. Give me some details. I usually fly at the HSS site. Not slope though; it isn't well regulated there. Where does one fly slope at Newport.
Yes, you fly above dog beach. Most of the guys stand at a clear dirt patch close to where the trail goes down to the beach. It's not a bad spot, very smooth lift. It takes a south west wind to be straight on. It's usually good when Estancia is too south to fly. It's rather tough on planes for landing and there are chunks of rock and concrete all along the face of the slope. That's why most people stick to foamie flying there.
The Newport Back Bay spot is awesome on a straight South day. Landing is terrible since there are homes 15 ft behind you. You have to stick it in at the top. You can see it from PCH as you cross the bridge that goes over Newport Harbor (Old Reuben E Lee paddle boat on the right). To get there you go up the hill on Dover Street and make a right into the track of homes after the light. Go right again and follow down to the stop sign, go right and park right there next to the bend in the road. Walk up the path towards the new homes and go left. Follow the trail around to the cliff. Just don't hit the homes or land in a backyard and you should have a blast.
Troy is offline Find More Posts by Troy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Troy; Oct 30, 2001 at 03:27 PM.
Old Oct 30, 2001, 04:57 PM
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jun 2001
2,792 Posts
pete,
nice covering on the spitfire. it kinda looks like a sea fury with the wings clipped like that. i considered getting one of patton's planes, but i saw one at a slope once, and it was so heavy! the places i fly usually don't have enough wind for such a heavy plane S&B Models in AU just came out with a new EPP spitfire. i might pick one up.