HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 26, 2011, 04:40 PM
United Kingdom, England, Odiham
Joined Oct 2006
35 Posts
Question
ABS safe, fuel proof spray paints in the UK?

HI all,

wondering if anyone can help. I'm going to be spray-painting a brand new Thunder Tiger 'Ready' mk3 made from ABS plastic - i really don't like the design on the decal sheet provided and have an artistic side to unleash [uh oh, here we go! - Ed.] and make it look all pretty...

I've searched and found a few posts on this subject, however they all refer to products not available in the UK or 2-part paints that are either not available in a 'rattle-can' or not ABS safe...hence my question:

what nitro-resistant spray paints (in a rattle can) are there available in the UK that are also ABS plastic safe?

I've seen that i can use an Acrylic primer, and have a pale grey automotive acrylic spray can for this, but now i need my design colours (preferably fuel proof from the can)

many thanks in advance
EGNX_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by EGNX_Flyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2012, 12:11 AM
Coeur d' alene, Id.
Joined Jan 2010
783 Posts
Have you guys got Top-Flight or Nelson fuel proof spray in rattle cans? they can be used to paint anything or just clear coat. There is some pretty nice stuff coming from the UK, they gotta be getting their paint someplace? Leroy
Leroy Gardner is offline Find More Posts by Leroy Gardner
Old Feb 08, 2012, 05:30 PM
TigreJohn
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Aug 2008
1,006 Posts
ABS plastic is resistant to lacquer. I used Top Flite Butyrate lacquer on my Carosel made by the same company. The actual manufacturer of the TT Ready is ARC Modelfly in Italy. Urethane enamel should also work quite well.

If your hobby shop can't help you, try a general aviation supply store for either.
jjkupinski is offline Find More Posts by jjkupinski