HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 26, 2011, 02:47 PM
Joined Nov 2011
114 Posts
Discussion
Suggestions for next plane after Champ?

I didn't have trouble flying the Champ and got really better flying it. What would be the next step up? I'm considering getting a full size or even a micro again. I would just like to get a plane where the building process isn't complicated and that's ready to fly.
RPTheLefty is offline Find More Posts by RPTheLefty
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2011, 04:48 PM
If in doubt, add accelerant
United Kingdom, England, Stansted Mountfitchet
Joined May 2007
1,825 Posts
The T-28, wither Ultra Micro or Standard size are normally considered the best 2nd planes. Both have similar handling characteristics, can be bound to your Champ Transmitter and are an excellent stable plane to learn ailerons
Lberry.88 is offline Find More Posts by Lberry.88
Old Dec 26, 2011, 09:13 PM
REAL old new guy!
United States, HI
Joined Jul 2011
491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPTheLefty View Post
I didn't have trouble flying the Champ and got really better flying it. What would be the next step up? I'm considering getting a full size or even a micro again. I would just like to get a plane where the building process isn't complicated and that's ready to fly.
If you haven't already I recommend getting something like a Spectrum DX6i and then deciding on which plane to get. The DX6i handles up to 10 different planes with each having numerous adjustments.
You then can pick a "Plug and play" plane and usually only need a new Rx.
Also you'll need a decent battery charger like a Thunder AC6.
Dakine48 is offline Find More Posts by Dakine48
Old Dec 27, 2011, 12:07 PM
Sure, I can fly after sunset!?
United States, MI, Novi
Joined Jan 2011
511 Posts
Super Cub with Floats

If you are looking for a larger EASY second plane, you might consider the HZ Super Cub.

True, it is also a good FIRST plane (it was mine) but it is SIMPLE to fly, especially with the rudder connected to the aileron channel.

Add floats and it will be a LOT of fun (and a bit more challenging) to fly off water. It also flies FANTASTICALLY off of snow. I also own a PZ Radian and a PZ SE5a. But, I never get tired of flying my Super Cub with floats.

If you're looking for something bigger, a lot of people are happy with an Apprentice. It is larger than the Super Cub, and has ailerons. Like the SC, it can be fitted with floats too. I have no personal experience with this plane to share with you though.

Happy Flying!
mybad is offline Find More Posts by mybad
Old Dec 27, 2011, 12:59 PM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Jan 2010
3,035 Posts
T-28: big or little
restlessswind is offline Find More Posts by restlessswind
Old Dec 27, 2011, 01:05 PM
United States, OR, The Dalles
Joined Apr 2011
1,243 Posts
I have an Apprentice, and am very impressed. It flies great and can be very docile on low rates. Once you have the basics, it flies inverted and does basic aerobatics better than most high wing planes. It is also tough, and all parts are available and decently priced.

If I were to do it over again, though, I'd get the plug and play instead of the RTF, and a DX7 or 8, some Gens Ace batteries, and a 4 bank charger right off the bat.

The DX5 that comes with the RTF has no model memory, so once you get another plane you would be wanting a computer radio anyway. If it is something capable of 3d you would want adjustable expo and rates, too.
JeffinTD is online now Find More Posts by JeffinTD
Old Dec 28, 2011, 12:53 AM
CRASH MONKEY
United States, UT, Leeds
Joined Oct 2011
646 Posts
Airfield or the FMS Sky Trainer (Cessna 182).

I made the same transition as you are about to do. I flew my champ until I was bored with it, and picked the Airfield Sky Trainer from nitroplanes.com (you can get the FMS with "N" number from snhobbies.com). This plane is easy to fly with allot of the same characteristics as the champ; accept way bigger, with a 55.5 inch wing span and steerable nose gear. She has plenty of power to pull out of scary moments, and is surprisingly agile. The new version comes with lights and flaps; 5 and 6 channel, or comes basic 4 channel. She accepts pilot input well, has a ultra low stall speed (she loves to float down during landing). with more rc stores carrying these planes the parts are becoming more accessible. It comes in RTF, ARF, and KIT form. There is a thread here on this forum that is dedicated to these planes only with lots of videos, pictures, and people willing to help with any further questions you may or may not have. What ever you choose just remember to have fun!

Here is one of my first flights with mine this was all factory, before I removed the wheel pants, and upgraded to larger tires (the wheel pants hang up on grass).
Airfield Sky Trainer 2nd day out almost crashed her (2 min 5 sec)
stoopidmonkey is offline Find More Posts by stoopidmonkey
Last edited by stoopidmonkey; Dec 28, 2011 at 01:00 AM.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 09:48 PM
Too much to do not enough time
Wisconsin
Joined Sep 2010
273 Posts
Parkzone UM T-28 or P-51 might be good choices. I actually flew a P-51 as my first plane (though I did have sim time) and it's a blast. It's stable and floaty, yet it can do some aerobatics and other fun stuff to make your flights even more fun. That's my personal recommendation, but most of the above choices are probably solid ideas.
BobaFett1138 is offline Find More Posts by BobaFett1138
Old Dec 29, 2011, 05:15 PM
United Kingdom, England, Dorset
Joined Apr 2010
965 Posts
I think you could do worse than a radian or a radian pro- different pace, learn some new skills.You'll need a pretty big space to fly though, as they float in.
alibongo is offline Find More Posts by alibongo
Old Dec 30, 2011, 03:10 AM
Joined Nov 2011
114 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Any more full-size recommendations?
Old Dec 30, 2011, 03:16 AM
United States, OR, The Dalles
Joined Apr 2011
1,243 Posts
Do you have a simulator? If not, they can be worth while.
JeffinTD is online now Find More Posts by JeffinTD
Old Dec 30, 2011, 06:44 AM
If in doubt, add accelerant
United Kingdom, England, Stansted Mountfitchet
Joined May 2007
1,825 Posts
Stinson reliant is a great flier - flies like it's on rails and lands at a walking pace. Similar flight characteristics to the T-28.
Lberry.88 is offline Find More Posts by Lberry.88
Old Jan 01, 2012, 03:56 PM
Joined Nov 2011
114 Posts
I don't have a sim but I'm planning on getting one tomorrow. Where do I find the Stinson?

I decided to not go with a UM again because the winds are hardly ever calm where I live.
Old Jan 03, 2012, 11:55 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,175 Posts
local hobby shop or horizon hobby website. i would go get a better transmitter than the one that came with the champ. Maybe you can get the phoenix flight sim with the dx5e. I have a dx6i and love it but 10 models fills up faster than you think once you start getting new models all the time. phoenix also has the t-28 and stinson on it so you can try them out along with many other planes. The sim may help you answer what plane you like personally.
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Jan 04, 2012, 12:14 AM
CRASH MONKEY
United States, UT, Leeds
Joined Oct 2011
646 Posts
you can download the clearview sim; it is the sim I use, it has all of the popular models in it, worked great for me. I bought a sim with a wired TX but it would not run on windows 7 so i use the TX that cam with that sim on clearview. I hear some people use the XBOX and PS3 controllers for TX on clearview do not know how well it works but it is an option.
stoopidmonkey is offline Find More Posts by stoopidmonkey